Windows 10: How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type

Discus and support How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I wish to change "jpg" files type to open in Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor but Windows no longer offer the choice to navigate to my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by YvesB, Apr 15, 2021.

1. YvesB Win User

How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type

Hi,

I wish to change "jpg" files type to open in Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor but Windows no longer offer the choice to navigate to my PC "PhotoshopElementEditor.exe" file.

How can I change this?

Thanks,

:)

YvesB, Apr 15, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

3. dalchina Win User
    How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Apr 15, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to change default app by file type

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that you want to change the default app for GED files as Roots Magic, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to avoid redundancy
    of steps.

As you have mentioned that GED files are opened with Photoshop, we can try the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Change default app using the file

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location where you have saved the GED files, right click on any of the file and select
      Properties.
    2. Under Open with, click on
      Change
    3. Now, click on More apps, scroll down and look for Roots Magic application.
    4. If Roots Magic is not available in the list then, click on
      Look for another app on this PC and select the application using the location.

Method 2: Change default app using Settings.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps.
    3. Click on Default apps, on the left pane.
    4. Now, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    5. Scroll down, look for .GED file type and click on
      Choose a default.
    6. Now, select the Roots Magic application.

If the issue persists, you may create a new user account and check if the issue persists in the new user account. Refer the steps mentioned in the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

1. How to CHANGE application in default apps by file type - Similar Threads - CHANGE application default

2. How to change default app for a given file type?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change default app for a given file type?: The default app listing for my *.tax2020 file is polluted. The default app, Turbo Tax, is installed, but is not offered as an option in Microsoft Store. How do I reset the default other than uninstalling and re-installing?...
  3. How to change default app to open certain file types.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default app to open certain file types.: It's not as simple as it seems :) Although it's easy as pie to change default apps by type file, but how to do it if I want to use app that's not on the default Window list? Like in this example, [img] File is opened by IE but I have installed in my system programme called...
  4. How to change default app for file type

How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types - [img] , I still can't choose it from the windows...
  5. How to change default app for file type

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default app for file type: I'm trying to change app that handles .jpg file types on my system from default "photos" to Windows Media player(just because I like better it looks:)) and despite fact that WMP is installed and handles other file types, I still can't choose it from the windows default app...
  6. Change default app for file type

Change default app for file type: I want an .sb3 file to download to Google Chrome but it's downloading to Opera. When I try to change the default app for that file the only option is Opera. Any ideas what to do?...
  7. Unable to change default app by file type

Unable to change default app by file type: I use a genealogical program with file extension of GED, but MS refuses to let me use Roots Magic as the default app to open the GED files. I have done all methods shown here, and the Windows somehow associates GED files with Photoshop which won't open them as it is the...
  8. change the default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  9. how do I change the default apps for a file type?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I change the default apps for a file type?: I know how to go to default apps and change default apps for a file type, but for example, I am trying to associate google sheets for .gsheets files or even excel for .gsheets files. Windows 10 has them defaulted to googlesyncdrive and only offers me that option or to go to...
  10. Unable to change Default Apps by File Type

Unable to change Default Apps by File Type: I'm trying to stop PDF files from opening in IE11, I want them to open in Adobe reader. When I go through the settings menu and get to the screen "Choose Default Apps by File Type" I cannot scroll down that page it stays locked on the top section. A screenshot is attached....