Windows 10: How to change application launch properties?

Discus and support How to change application launch properties? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In previous versions of Windows, one could right-click on a start menu selection, and change an application's command-line arguments, start directory,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DaveRN, Feb 9, 2021.

1. DaveRN Win User

How to change application launch properties?

In previous versions of Windows, one could right-click on a start menu selection, and
    change an application's command-line arguments, start directory, etc.
    How does one do this in Windows 10?
    We need to change startup parameters just like under older versions of Windows!
    For "tiles" or what-ever the goofy stuff that has replaced the start menu is called...
    Thanks!

Note: If I use right-click, more, open application folder, I see either:
    - a link, which I can modify as I need, or
    - an "Application Reference", which does not support changing the above parameters

The "Application Reference" is the problem here...

:)

DaveRN, Feb 9, 2021

2. WD Mybook Application won't launch

Hi James,

Problem launching the WD MyBook application could be due to incompatibility or could be caused by a software conflict. Since you've already reached out to WD support, we would like to know the following to help us isolate and address the problem:

• Were there any changes made or updates performed before the issue started?
    • What were the troubleshooting steps have you tried to far?
    • Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WD MyBook application?

In the meantime, please try to disable the firewall and antivirus software on your computer. Once done, launch the WD application again and see if it works.

Update us with the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Recent updates defeating application launch

Hi Hunt,

To address your concern, you may check if the application is compatible with Windows 10. To do this, follow these steps:

• Type the program name in the Search box.

• Right-click the program name, then click Properties.

• Click Compatibility tab > Run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
    You may also check Rakesh Narayanaswamy's post on this

thread.

We're just here if you need further assistance.

Rachelle Gra, Feb 9, 2021
  4. RHinCT Win User

Shortcut properties - setting and preserving

I am working with a fresh W10 install. I am used to W7.

One old (x86) application I run requires that I configure the Start in setting for the shortcut that launches it. The shortcut that was placed on the desktop did not let me change that. The shortcut in the New list does not let me change that. The shortcut in the All Programs list does not let me change that. Right-click does not offer Properties.

I created a new shortcut on the desktop. That lets me open Properties, so I was able to make the required change to Start In. That shortcut launches correctly. However when I right-click in that shortcut and Pin to Start, launching from the Start menu does NOT launch correctly (which is to say, the program is not started using the Start In value). Apparently the property I changed is lost for the Start menu.

How can I control the Properties of this in the All Programs, Start menu, and other places where right-click does not give the the Properties option? How can I keep a change to Properties from being lost when an item is pinned to Start? Is any of this even possible?

Thanks!

RH in CT

RHinCT, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

1. How to change application launch properties? - Similar Threads - change application launch

2. problem launching the application

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem launching the application: Hello, I am having an issue with 'Microsoft .NET Framework' on my computer. Could you please assist me with this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-launching-the-application/1bd2e5ef-145e-483c-ba60-15581e3563fb
  3. Applications won't launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Applications won't launch: Every so often, I come across an app that will not launch. Example: today it is Adobe Acrobat. I double-click a PDF document, I see a momentary hourglass, then....nada. Same thing happens when I double-click the Acrobat icon on my desktop. I sense this is memory-related, but...
  4. Applications won't launch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Applications won't launch: Every so often, I come across an app that will not launch. Example: today it is Adobe Acrobat. I double-click a PDF document, I see a momentary hourglass, then....nada. Same thing happens when I double-click the Acrobat icon on my desktop. I sense this is memory-related, but...
  5. Application will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application will not launch: I've downloaded a 64 Bit application called Siril a few weeks ago and it has been working fine however today when I tried opening it, I got no response. I have restarted my laptop and uninstalled/installed the app. When I click on the app, the loading sign on my cursor...
  6. Application will not launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Application will not launch: I've downloaded a 64 Bit application called Siril a few weeks ago and it has been working fine however today when I tried opening it, I got no response. I have restarted my laptop and uninstalled/installed the app. When I click on the app, the loading sign on my cursor...
  7. Certain applications not launching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain applications not launching: I have had problems with various applications on my computer randomly stop working. It started a few months ago when a program called Overwolf randomly stopped launching, not even giving an error code. Later more apps started failing, including Logitech G hub, and bluestacks....
  8. Application properties font size.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Application properties font size.: Hi, I've had a hard time finding a sweet spot on 1080p laptop regarding font size but I am pretty close after changing the overall scaling to 125% and tweaking all the *Font "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics" registry settings...yet fonts in app...
  9. Application Won't Launch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Application Won't Launch: Hey I've been having this issue recently where an application Sea of Thieves won't launch. I click on the desktop shortcut to open the game but it immediately closes, does anyone know how to fix this?...
  10. Changing color quality when an application is launched

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing color quality when an application is launched: I am trying to have the color quality of my Windows 10 machine change to 16 bit when I remote into it using Chrome remote desktop. Any help would be appreciated. 13011