Windows 10: How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

Discus and support How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mdelsole, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mdelsole Win User

How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

One of the latest microsoft updates crashed my computer. As a result I had to get windows reinstalled in the repair shop. When I got my computer (laptop) back, I found that windows had been reinstalled on my hdd, not my ssd. I am looking to fix this now.

I've already cloned windows on to the ssd. I've been following the steps in other tutorials that tell me I have to change the boot option in the BIOS at startup. However, when I go to boot priorities, the ssd does not appear. When looking under Hard disk drive BBS priorities, it also does not appear; the only option that appears is my hard drive. I feel like I maybe missed a step somewhere; am I supposed to be able to go straight from cloning to be able to select the drive in BIOS?

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

mdelsole, Oct 12, 2019
  2. Neox99 Win User

Changing Boot Drive from HDD to SSD

Trying to understand here.

Do you have Win-10 installed on a HDD and on a SSD?

If so are you asking how to get your system to boot from the SSD opposed the HDD?

If you don't get an option of seeing a boot option at the beginning of the BIOS process {mine is to press ESC to see boot menu] check with the manufacturer. There HAS to be a key which does that.

Another possibility is: If both drives are SATA just switch the cables and reboot.

Check your Configuration file and see if 2 OSs are listed.

As you can see here, I have mine set to dual-boot. Win-10 on a HDD and Win-7 on a SSD.

How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd? 9de35259-1592-4229-ac9e-131e1cbf3fba.jpg

Neox99, Oct 12, 2019
  3. Changing boot drive from HDD to SSD

I have Dell desktop 8500 - came with Win 8 preloaded. Upgraded to 8.1, then 10. Added SSD and wanted to run Win off the SSD and use 2 TB HDD for storage. Made complete system backup on two separate external drives. Unplugged HDD and used recovery
    Dell Media Disk (Win 8) to load Win onto SSD. (Dell had also sent me a "Drivers and Utilities" disk with the OS disk but I did not run this prior to upgrading to Win 10...not sure if this is relevant). Install worked fine. System assigned SSD drive letter
    "C" and reassigned the HDD drive letters "I" and "H." ("I" was original "C" and the "H" was partition used for storage.) Upgraded to 8.1 and then 10. System starts fine, runs FAST and I can add new programs, but all the old programs...Office, Adobe, the dashboards
    for my Seagate and WD external drives, etc on the HDD and programs saved to the backup drives will not run, even when moved to the SSD. Tried to reverse things by changing BIOS to have the HDD be primary boot drive and have the original Windows program run
    the computer but the OS is not recognized. Tried to restore, but all the restore points on the HDD are gone. Tried third party SW (SymMover) to move the programs from the HDD or backup drives to the SSD, but this doesn't work. I get error message that the
    progams (Word for example) are not compatible. Would like to avoid wipping the HDD and recoverying from the backup drives. MS techs wouldn't take a stab at a solution. Any thoughts?

JosephFBJR, Oct 12, 2019
  4. How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd?

1. How to change boot drive from hdd to ssd? - Similar Threads - change boot drive

2. how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?: Please excuse my English, but my issue is how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD? I bought this gaming laptop, but after formatting it, many weird stuff began to happen. It began to slow down, and I believe the problem is that it is booting on the HDD drive. I...
  3. how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?: Please excuse my English, but my issue is how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD? I bought this gaming laptop, but after formatting it, many weird stuff began to happen. It began to slow down, and I believe the problem is that it is booting on the HDD drive. I...
  4. how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from HDD to SSD boot drive: Ok so I have a HDD and I just bought a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD to make it my main drive and my boot drive. First, I tried to use a cloning software to clone from my HDD to my SSD and it did not work. It just started up with that black screen with the text "reboot and select...
  6. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive: My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive. What is the best...
  7. cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant switch boot drive from hdd to ssd: after i cloned my hard drive to my ssd and then went into the bios and changed the boot order, it still loads windows very slow and when i do benchmarks on my computer they all tell me if i switch my boot drive to my ssd i could have faster load times....
  8. How to Change Boot Disk from Internal HDD to External SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change Boot Disk from Internal HDD to External SSD: I've cloned C onto new external SSD. All I need now is: How do I make the PC boot from the new external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-boot-disk-from-internal-hdd-to/c32a0a25-6c69-4d8a-9835-ad20bb4bb05d
  9. Changing from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing from HDD to SSD: I have installed an SSD drive to my desktop PC. I want this drive to be the boot up drive and have a clean copy of windows 10. What is the best way to go about this?...
  10. change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    change HDD and boot from file.vhd in new SSD: Hi, i have a windows 10 laptop,i have bought a SSD because i want to change my old HDD, i have just created a VHD file and now i would like to set boot loader to get it started from my FILE.VHD in my new SSD. i have win 10 dvd-rom, but i don't want reinstall everything. i...