Windows 10: How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)?

Discus and support How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In the search bar, type msconfig > press Enter > click Boot tab at the top > top box should have win 10 and Linux listed. Yes ? Is this method... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kinimod, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Kinimod Win User

How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)?

Unfortunately not. Only Windows 10 is listed.

Kinimod, Feb 17, 2016
  2. Kinimod Win User

It looks that way. I can positively confirm that hibernation and fast startup are disabled. The boot behavior and the "cannot mount" message in Linux suggest that Windows is in a hibernated state anyway.

Kinimod, Feb 17, 2016
  3. davidhk Win User
    Did you set the Timeout to 30 (seconds ) ?

davidhk, Feb 17, 2016
  4. Kinimod Win User

No, cause only Windows 10 was listed in the first step already.

Kinimod, Feb 17, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    The reason I asked you to set it at 30 sec is to give the system a chance to list both OSes so that you would have a chance to choose which one to run.
    Humour me. Set it at 30 sec > click OK when done > restart computer......................

davidhk, Feb 18, 2016
  6. Kinimod Win User
    I didn't pay attention to the Timeout field, I just checked and it was already set to 30 seconds by default. Can't work though if Linux isn't recognized as an option, right? I'm not sure if getting it listed from within Windows is possible because Windows doesn't support the ext4 file system that my Linux installation is on.

Kinimod, Feb 19, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    Will it boot from the external drive if you disconnect the drive Windows is installed on? I think it's something in the bios. You could try a bios update if one is available for your computer. Use caution though. A failed bios update can make your computer useless.

Winuser, Feb 19, 2016
  8. Kinimod Win User

I tried a few more things, for example disconnecting the Windows drive as Winuser suggested. Without the Windows drive, Linux came up fine. Then I reconnected the Windows drive, started up, and Linux booted! So I thought the problem was solved, until I shut down Linux and booted again. Now it's the same thing as before - Windows comes up every time. What's going on?

Kinimod, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)? - Similar Threads - change boot options

2. Where is the default user set and how it can be changed permanently? - Windows 10 and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where is the default user set and how it can be changed permanently? - Windows 10 and...: How do I change this permanently?- Every new windows installation that I use my Microsoft Account with, the default user is preset to "marlo"...
  3. How to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will show you how to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced […] This article How to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. How to change default browser being used by notifications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change default browser being used by notifications: My default browser is Vivaldi. I have set it up in windows10 as the default. I also have Google Chrome installed. Nevertheless when ever I get a Windows 10 notification through from Youtube Windows 10 insists on sending that notification to Chrome even though Vivaldi is the...
  5. Win-10 - Multiple Screen - Display Setting - How to change the Default option

Win-10 - Multiple Screen - Display Setting - How to change the Default option: Hello Everyone, I work in an ABW (Activity Based Workstation) office, using different desks every day. Each of these desks are fitted with a dual monitor that we hook the laptop through a Targus docking station. Everyday, we have to switch from the default option of...
  6. Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible: I have been swapping 4 SSDs and NVMes like crazy between two computers as I try various things like disk cloning, Linux installs, and so forth. I was doing it enough that I bought the full version of AOMEI Partition Assistant. I have been having a serious problem that I have...
  7. How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad: Microsoft should have this turn off ability in the handicapped section. The touchpad is a terrible problem for anybody with shaky hands. To permanently turn off the touchpad in Win 10: 1. Right click on the left lower corner. 2. Select device manager. 3. Expand mice and...
  8. Hyper-V- Win 10 1809: Permanently Delete Default Switch

Hyper-V- Win 10 1809: Permanently Delete Default Switch: Good day, In prior versions of Windows 10 I was fairly certain my deleting of Default Switch was permanent. When the Default switch is deleted it almost instantly is recreated. I cant for the life of me understand why this switch is mandatory. I have used Hyper-V...
  9. How to make a Win Explorer column option permanently a top of menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make a Win Explorer column option permanently a top of menu?: I want to have the 'Length' column option appear, by default, with the rest of these options in this Explorer menu: [img] Currently when I right click a column header to make the options come up, I have to scroll down quite a ways to find the option, select it, and...
  10. How to add more than default windows 10 boot by creating boot option?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add more than default windows 10 boot by creating boot option?: How to add more than default Windows 10 boot by creating a boot option on the OS startup ? The OS booting in a partition lettered C as usual [img] Now a partition, lettered E:, is readily prepared to launch the windows 10 installation in typical size around 3.3 GB...