Windows 10: How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)?

Discus and support How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to have my computer boot Linux by default, from an external hard drive, while my internal drive has Windows 10 on it. Unfortunately I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kinimod, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Kinimod Win User

How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)?

I am trying to have my computer boot Linux by default, from an external hard drive, while my internal drive has Windows 10 on it. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work: Windows 10 boots automatically at every restart and cold start.

Steps I've taken so far:
    The boot order I want is set and saved in BIOS. There's no uEFI on my computer.
    Windows 10 fast startup option is disabled. I also disabled the hibernation option just in case.

Still, I can only get Linux to boot by going into BIOS every time and selecting the (already selected) external hard drive again. When I then try to mount the internal (Win 10) disk from within Linux, I get an error saying it cannot be mounted because Windows 10 is still using it.

Any ideas how to solve this and give full boot control back to BIOS?

:)

Kinimod, Feb 9, 2016

2. Permanent default changes in windows 10

Original Title: Permanent default changes.

I change default settings for wi-fi , touch pad and some programs. When 10 goes into sleep mode or restarts, the defaults are reset to the factory defaults. How can I permanently change the defaults to how I set them.

Thank you.

JohnCrisalli, Feb 9, 2016
  3. RickODom Win User
    Win 10 login and dual option

After the upgrade to win 10 every boot shows a screen with the option to go to win 10 or recovery. How do I get this to go straight to win 10 without stopping at this login option page. Is this a setting option that I can set to avoid this page at login.
    Even though it defaults to win 10, I would like to avoid this page.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

RickODom, Feb 9, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Hey Kinimod,

Have a look HERE. (However I just noted you want to boot from an external drive, so I'm not sure if this is applicable)

b1rd, Feb 9, 2016
  5. Kinimod Win User
    Hi b1rd, thanks but those instructions are for Vista. Windows 10 doesn't seem to have those configuration options.

Kinimod, Feb 9, 2016
  6. b1rd Win User
    b1rd, Feb 9, 2016
  7. Kinimod Win User
    Thanks, those are useful settings. However, all of the described approaches show Windows 10 as the only OS option to me. Actually this makes sense because Windows can't read disks or partitions that are formatted for Linux (ext4 file system). So I think the OS needs to be chosen before Windows takes control of the boot process. This is what my BIOS settings are supposed to do, but it seems Windows still gets in there because somehow it's not completely shut down, despite the settings I described above. Anyone have more ideas?

Kinimod, Feb 10, 2016
  8. mike s Win User

1. In Windows 10, turn off fast startup using the power options in the control panel.
    2. Under Windows 10, install EasyBCD and edit the boot configuration to reflect your preferences.

mike s, Feb 10, 2016
  9. Kinimod Win User
    1. As I said, fast startup is already turned off.
    2. We are talking about basic computer functionality. There must be a way to do this without buying a third-party tool.

Kinimod, Feb 14, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    Winuser, Feb 14, 2016
  11. mike s Win User
    Sorry - I missed that in your OP you did say fast startup and hibernation were disabled.
    As for using third-party tools, the "community edition" of EasyBCD is free. It's a versatile tool worth having, I'd give it a try.

mike s, Feb 15, 2016
  12. The problem is with FastStartup disabled, it still depends on HOW you shut down Win10. If you select Restart, it ignores the FastStartup setting and hibernates, anyway. You must select Shut Down.

Mark Phelps, Feb 15, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

I have no understanding on booting with external and internal hard drives at the same time.
    So, I cannot be sure if this will apply...............................
    In the search bar, type msconfig > press Enter > click Boot tab at the top > top box should have win 10 and Linux listed. Yes ?
    if yes, click the Linux > click set as default > under Timeout, set the time to 30 > OK when done.

Is this method applicable to you ?

davidhk, Feb 15, 2016
  14. mike s Win User
    If you disable hibernation in your power profile, you're saying that it will hibernate anyway?

mike s, Feb 15, 2016
  15. Kinimod Win User
    Mark, I get the same behavior on restart and shutdown.

Kinimod, Feb 17, 2016
Thema:

1. How to change boot options permanently (Win 10 not being default)? - Similar Threads - change boot options

2. Where is the default user set and how it can be changed permanently? - Windows 10 and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where is the default user set and how it can be changed permanently? - Windows 10 and...: How do I change this permanently?- Every new windows installation that I use my Microsoft Account with, the default user is preset to "marlo"...
  3. How to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10: [ATTACH]This post will show you how to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced […] This article How to change Boot defaults when dual-booting using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. How to change default browser being used by notifications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change default browser being used by notifications: My default browser is Vivaldi. I have set it up in windows10 as the default. I also have Google Chrome installed. Nevertheless when ever I get a Windows 10 notification through from Youtube Windows 10 insists on sending that notification to Chrome even though Vivaldi is the...
  5. Win-10 - Multiple Screen - Display Setting - How to change the Default option

Win-10 - Multiple Screen - Display Setting - How to change the Default option: Hello Everyone, I work in an ABW (Activity Based Workstation) office, using different desks every day. Each of these desks are fitted with a dual monitor that we hook the laptop through a Targus docking station. Everyday, we have to switch from the default option of...
  6. Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting to Win 10 with another Win 10 install being visible: I have been swapping 4 SSDs and NVMes like crazy between two computers as I try various things like disk cloning, Linux installs, and so forth. I was doing it enough that I bought the full version of AOMEI Partition Assistant. I have been having a serious problem that I have...
  7. How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad: Microsoft should have this turn off ability in the handicapped section. The touchpad is a terrible problem for anybody with shaky hands. To permanently turn off the touchpad in Win 10: 1. Right click on the left lower corner. 2. Select device manager. 3. Expand mice and...
  8. Hyper-V- Win 10 1809: Permanently Delete Default Switch

Hyper-V- Win 10 1809: Permanently Delete Default Switch: Good day, In prior versions of Windows 10 I was fairly certain my deleting of Default Switch was permanent. When the Default switch is deleted it almost instantly is recreated. I cant for the life of me understand why this switch is mandatory. I have used Hyper-V...
  9. How to make a Win Explorer column option permanently a top of menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make a Win Explorer column option permanently a top of menu?: I want to have the 'Length' column option appear, by default, with the rest of these options in this Explorer menu: [img] Currently when I right click a column header to make the options come up, I have to scroll down quite a ways to find the option, select it, and...
  10. How to add more than default windows 10 boot by creating boot option?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add more than default windows 10 boot by creating boot option?: How to add more than default Windows 10 boot by creating a boot option on the OS startup ? The OS booting in a partition lettered C as usual [img] Now a partition, lettered E:, is readily prepared to launch the windows 10 installation in typical size around 3.3 GB...