Windows 10: How to change C: to D: directory after clean install?

Discus and support How to change C: to D: directory after clean install? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I recently had a BSOD and had to reinstall Windows 10 on my SSD which the OS was installed on and I had my HDD backed up with everything still the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kingswillz, Jan 21, 2020.

1. How to change C: to D: directory after clean install?

Hi, I recently had a BSOD and had to reinstall Windows 10 on my SSD which the OS was installed on and I had my HDD backed up with everything still the same. Unfortunately, the desktop I see is now from my "Local Disk (CHow to change C: to D: directory after clean install? :)" instead of how it was before. I'm unsure if it was originally on that or not, but on my "Data (DHow to change C: to D: directory after clean install? :)>Users>username>Desktop" it is my original desktop from before the clean install.Also, when I go to my programs list in control panel to uninstall, nothing from D drive is showing up. How can I change this back and make it so everything saves to that drive and references that as well?

submitted by /u/kingswillz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kingswillz, Jan 21, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 21, 2020
  3. rinjo Win User
    Window old directory in C drive

You are right, what I meant by a clean install is that I reset my PC from the 'recovery' section in settings that removed the previous installation along with all the applications installed on it.

I will try the steps that you have suggested.

rinjo, Jan 21, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

How to change C: to D: directory after clean install?

Stuck in Automatic Repair = inadvertently changed C: drive path?

@zbook- what I'm suggesting should resurrect the PC, provided what's left on the "C:" is at all viable - the clean install is just a step to that. Saves a lot of technical bits and time on our part.

dalchina, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

How to change C: to D: directory after clean install?

1. How to change C: to D: directory after clean install? - Similar Threads - change directory clean

2. How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...: Hello!I know there have been a lot of questions about this issue but those are either too old or do not apply to my situation.I have two disks: one has 1T space and the other one has 2T. This is a screenshot. Sorry I cannot change language as the system is pre-installed, but...
  3. How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to extend C partition without losing the applications installed on D partition C and D...: Hello!I know there have been a lot of questions about this issue but those are either too old or do not apply to my situation.I have two disks: one has 1T space and the other one has 2T. This is a screenshot. Sorry I cannot change language as the system is pre-installed, but...
  4. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing C:/ to D:/: Hi I have a computer that has a C drive and a D drive. My C drive is much smaller than my D drive and is nearly full. Therefore I want to change the default location of programs, documents, images, downloads etc to D drive. how do I do this? see attached...
  5. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing C:/ to D:/: Hi I have a computer that has a C drive and a D drive. My C drive is much smaller than my D drive and is nearly full. Therefore I want to change the default location of programs, documents, images, downloads etc to D drive. how do I do this? see attached...
  6. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. D drive is completely empty after clean install

D drive is completely empty after clean install: Hi,I performed a clean install of Windows 10. My SSD is fine, contains my windows install with all the relevant folders and such. My HDD, D drive, is completely empty. I know all my apps and files should have been wiped, but how do I set it back up so it contains its versions...
  8. My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.: Hello! So today I installed an extra drive for storage, and as soon as I booted the pc up, windows started scanning for errors. After it scanned, it asked me to reboot again for Security and maintenance. Even after I rebooted, it still asked me to reboot again. So I tried...
  9. How to change the directory to which programs are installed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the directory to which programs are installed?: I've tried doing some research but everywhere I go it says changing where I install files to is dangerous, but my C: drive is full and I want to move all my programs to my D: drive and start installing programs there. Is there a safe way to transfer all these files? Do I have...
  10. Application Installed On C: To D:

Application Installed On C: To D:: Hello, I have 48 out of 103 GB on my C drive but I have 930 GB free on my D drive. If I installed an application on my C drive but wanted to use the storage on the D drive, can I just transfer that application's files to the D drive? Could the application get corrupted? Or...