Windows 10: How to change computer username in Windows 10

Discus and support How to change computer username in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So I've had this issue for several installations of Windows 10 now, so it looks to me as though this username is tied to my MS account. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/aabeba, May 22, 2020.

1. /u/aabeba Win User

How to change computer username in Windows 10

How to change computer username in Windows 10 6WnsyirTfcKsWGwqQe8XkFpTjYApz_CB3PR3HhIJyxI.jpg

So I've had this issue for several installations of Windows 10 now, so it looks to me as though this username is tied to my MS account. The weird thing is that I never remember creating it--I would never choose this username, but it's always been there.

https://preview.redd.it/h8hp60xedb0...bp&s=0d2b9319fd4d942b4ecc24dad8c5b1bb370fbd98

It appears to be taken from my MS email address (gamha******@outlook.com), but I cannot see the username itself appear in any setting on my computer or on the "Your info" page on microsoft.com.

https://preview.redd.it/ki8u9ctxdb0...bp&s=baf4a24391f9968141e1093bb90b4154933688d9

Annoyingly, it's also the name of my user folder on Windows. Any way to track this down and change it? Thanks!

submitted by /u/aabeba
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/aabeba, May 22, 2020

2. Change username on Windows 10.

Hi Jacob,

You can personalize your username on your account through the Microsoft website. To help you change your account name, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article on how to
    change the name on your Microsoft account.
    Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps and complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if the issue persists.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, May 22, 2020
  3. How to change the username in C: drive on Windows 10?

Hi Vasu,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to convert the existing account to Microsoft account with administrator privileges and check if it helps.

Step 1: To convert Local account to Microsoft account, follow these steps:

• Make sure you are device is connected to internet.
    • On the newly converted Local account (with no issues), click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to enable built-in admin account to change the current user account's type.

Steps to Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
      Command Prompt
    • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active:yes (Check for the spaces)
    4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type
    net user administrator /active:no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: Log-in with the Built-in admin account to change the account type and try the below.

• From Built-in account, press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type netplwiz and click on Ok.
    • Click on the Users tab.
    • Under Users of this computer: select the account you want to change.
    • Click on Properties button.
    • Under Group Membership tab and select Administrator as user account type.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you are facing issues changing the user account type, we will help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 22, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 22, 2020
Thema:

1. How to change computer username in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - change computer username

2. Change my computer's username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change my computer's username: I recently had to have my computer operating system Windows 11 reinstalled. Somehow, a Windows update corrupted my SSD. When I got my computer came back, the username had been changed from my name to "User" How do I change it back to my name so that the lock screen has my...
  3. Change my computer's username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change my computer's username: I recently had to have my computer operating system Windows 11 reinstalled. Somehow, a Windows update corrupted my SSD. When I got my computer came back, the username had been changed from my name to "User" How do I change it back to my name so that the lock screen has my...
  4. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  5. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  6. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Change username in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change username in Windows 10: Hi, my sister has a Windows 10 Pc and by some mistake there was a typographical error in the username. Now whatever Office and other software pick that as the PC name. How can I change it?...
  8. How to change the username credentials in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change the username credentials in Windows 10: Hello, I recently was set up with a new laptop running Windows 10. The person who set it up for me put in a placeholder username for the admin account. I just set up a Standard account, which I intend to use for most things. I want to change the admin account to something I...
  9. How to change username?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change username?: Hello, I would like to know how to change the username for my "users" file. I misspelled it and it is just irritating me. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-username/f80dede2-3b5a-4faf-a6fe-7e113e651681
  10. How to change your Windows 10 username

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to change your Windows 10 username: Changing your username in Windows 10 depends on the type of account you have. Like many users, you might use a Microsoft account to log in to Windows. These accounts display the name registered to them on the login screen, usually your real name. If you aren’t using a...