Windows 10: How to change default drive?

Discus and support How to change default drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I ever changed my Windows 10 PC Users folder from drive C to an external hard drive D for backup. When I run my Windows 10 pc, I must connect the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by coody, Sep 13, 2021.

1. coody Win User

How to change default drive?

I ever changed my Windows 10 PC Users folder from drive C to an external hard drive D for backup. When I run my Windows 10 pc, I must connect the external hard drive D; otherwise, there is no data in my PC desktop except for the Recycle Bin icon. How can I change back my default drive from external hard drive D to the hard drive C? Thank you for your answer.

:)

coody, Sep 13, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Tenforo, Sep 13, 2021
  3. Tenforo Active Member
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Tenforo, Sep 13, 2021
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done How to change default drive? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

Tenforo, Sep 13, 2021
Thema:

1. How to change default drive? - Similar Threads - change default drive

2. Change Default One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default One Drive: Hi!I have a personal and business one drive on my laptop. Currently it is using my personal one drive as default one. How can I change it to business one drive?ThanksGaurav...
  3. Change Default One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default One Drive: Hi!I have a personal and business one drive on my laptop. Currently it is using my personal one drive as default one. How can I change it to business one drive?ThanksGaurav...
  4. How to Change Default Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Change Default Drive: I recently purchased a new laptop. Windows Version: 19042.928 The computer has 2 drives. A C drive: 119GB (44GB used) and a D drive: 931GB. (not used.) The C drive contains the recovery partition. When files download from One Drive they are going to the C drive, apparently...
  5. How to Change D: drive to default drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Change D: drive to default drive.: I recently bought pc i need for my job and hobbies. It has very small C: drive and additional drive that has 2TB storage I was loading and installing all my apps needed and the pc started to complain about the low storage, i tried to get the new apps to the D: drive but i...
  6. Can't change drive icons to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change drive icons to default: Hi, So I wanted to check my hard drive and my ssd health and i downloaded HardDiskSentinel. I saw what I wanted and noticed thad my drive icons have been changed. I decided to delete the program and after I deleted it the default drive icons turned into a blank paper with a...
  7. Change default c: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default c: drive: Okay, I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer I can understand. I added a new bigger SSD, I cloned it to my current c: drive. All I want to do is switch these drives....
  8. How to change default path of folders to different drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change default path of folders to different drive: I have new Dell computer with a 256GB SSD C: drive and 2TB HDD D:Drive. The SSD drive will fill up quickly as it is default location for all downloads and everything else - My Documents, etc. I partitioned the D drive so that a User B has a storage section and I have one,...
  9. how to change path to default drive for desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change path to default drive for desktop: how to change path to default drive for desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-path-to-default-drive-for-desktop/2f0df2ee-308f-4c7c-9cf9-84919408b87b
  10. Changing Default drive to D

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing Default drive to D: I am trying to get a game loaded from CD and it does not give me the option to load it to D drive. How can I make sure any CD games etc will automatically load to D Drive? Is there a setting somewhere?...