Windows 10: How to change default path of folders to different drive

Discus and support How to change default path of folders to different drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have new Dell computer with a 256GB SSD C: drive and 2TB HDD D:Drive. The SSD drive will fill up quickly as it is default location for all downloads... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PhotoBaker, Feb 17, 2020.

1. How to change default path of folders to different drive

I have new Dell computer with a 256GB SSD C: drive and 2TB HDD DHow to change default path of folders to different drive :Drive. The SSD drive will fill up quickly as it is default location for all downloads and everything else - My Documents, etc. I partitioned the D drive so that a User B has a storage section and I have one, hoping I can save the SSD CHow to change default path of folders to different drive :Drive for the System files and updates only.

Two Questions:

1. How can I direct all data files documents, music and photos to storage on Drive D HDD rather than Drive C SSD?

2. Can I direct default download of applications/programs Photoshop, Office 2013, Turbo Tax over as well?

3. How do I set up User B for access to D drive only an insuring I have access to everything?

Thanks.

:)

PhotoBaker, Feb 17, 2020
  2. Mitch P Win User

how to change path to default drive for desktop

how to change path to default drive for desktop

Mitch P, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Windows 10 default download file folder

Hi Janice,

The file path of your Downloads folder may have changed that is why the items that you've downloaded using Microsoft Edge always goes to a different file path. We recommend that you check the file path of your Downloads folder itself to see if it's in the
    default path. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Go to this file path: C:\Users\<your username>.
    • Right-click the Downloads folder, and the click Properties.
    • Go to the Location tab.
    • Check if the file path inside the text is correct. The file path should be:
      C:\Users\<your username>\Downloads

If the file path is correct, kindly answer the following questions for us to provide you the proper troubleshooting steps:

• When did the issue start?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue?
    • Does the issue occur when you download items using other web browsers like Internet Explorer?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Argel Obm, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Naut138 Win User

How to change default path of folders to different drive

Can't change folder paths

I just got my 500gb Samsung Evo ssd, transferred C, and I'm trying to use the old 1tb WD for mass storage.

I decided I'd put my videos and pictures there, so I changed the locations to inside folders in E. Somehow I guess I missed the folder or something because now instead of saying "Videos" and "Pictures"
    I just see E:\ and E:\, both of course being shortcuts to E with my folders inside. Although I'm positive I directed them into folders, they simply saved to the root of that drive.

I realized my mistake and tried to put them back in the default locations and now I get "The folder can't be moved here, Access denied."

I tried to make a new folder in E, and change the path that folder.. "specified path does not exist".

I tried to copy the folder to the desktop, then change the path.. still no luck.

I tried moving everything to desktop and reformatting E, hoping if the drive wasn't there it would reset to default.. no luck.

Tried to change the location via registry edit, nothing.

Totally lost. No idea what happened. No clue how to fix it.

Only other options I've found googling were removing all user accounts and adding myself back (not sure why?), and reinstalling windows. Neither sounds fun. Anyone have suggestions before
    I have to resort to one of those?

Thanks in advance.

Naut138, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

How to change default path of folders to different drive

1. How to change default path of folders to different drive - Similar Threads - change default path

2. How to Change the default Profile Path to another drive in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Change the default Profile Path to another drive in Windows 11?: Hi, I'd like to know how to change the default folder location to a different drive including the app and one drive folder , so that, whenever I create a user his profile will be saved in that particular path. Other folders can be relocated from location option but it's not a...
  3. How to Change the default Profile Path to another drive in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Change the default Profile Path to another drive in Windows 11?: Hi, I'd like to know how to change the default folder location to a different drive including the app and one drive folder , so that, whenever I create a user his profile will be saved in that particular path. Other folders can be relocated from location option but it's not a...
  4. How do I change the Windows 11 default drive for relative paths?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the Windows 11 default drive for relative paths?: I have a C: SSD for system and apps, and D: HD for data. I store most of my documents under D:\wk\, e.g., D:\wk\family, D:\wk\book, etc. I don't use mot of the special folders like Documents or Photos.When I open a file, I'd like to be able to type a relative path...
  5. How do I change the Windows 11 default drive for relative paths?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the Windows 11 default drive for relative paths?: I have a C: SSD for system and apps, and D: HD for data. I store most of my documents under D:\wk\, e.g., D:\wk\family, D:\wk\book, etc. I don't use mot of the special folders like Documents or Photos.When I open a file, I'd like to be able to type a relative path...
  6. Change Default Installation Path

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default Installation Path: Hey team, I've googled this and saw countless threads yet nothing has worked so far. Not even sure if it's possible at this point. I want to change the default installation path of downloaded programs from my C:\ to another D:\, rather than changing the path everytime I...
  7. Change default install path?

Change default install path?: i have 2 drives, 1 tiny SSD for the windows install (C), and one big drive for everything else (D). I want literally everything, always, on the big drive (D) yet whenever I install something it always defaults to the small windows ssd where I barely have any storage space to...
  8. Path Lengths on Different Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Path Lengths on Different Drives: I have files on a desktop drive and it does not have an issue with the Path Lengths. On another drive in the same machine if I copy the data it gives me the Path Too Long error if I copy it to that drive. I have already used Regedit to turn on allowing long path names....
  9. how to change path to default drive for desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change path to default drive for desktop: how to change path to default drive for desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-path-to-default-drive-for-desktop/2f0df2ee-308f-4c7c-9cf9-84919408b87b
  10. Default Folders Sharing Path

Default Folders Sharing Path: Hello everyone! I was trying to set up a brand new laptop to store the default folders (Pictures, Videos and Music) in the D: drive instead of the C: drive as it is larger. Unfortunately, I must have set the folders on the same path, and now I can't separate them. Now, they...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 data folders to different drive 2020