Windows 10: How to change Drag-n-drop folder distance to zero?

Discus and support How to change Drag-n-drop folder distance to zero? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to change the distance I have to drag a folder before it starts moving, I would like it to be instantaneous. As in, as soon as I click on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CarsonMcF, Mar 1, 2019.

1. CarsonMcF Win User

How to change Drag-n-drop folder distance to zero?

I want to change the distance I have to drag a folder before it starts moving, I would like it to be instantaneous. As in, as soon as I click on a folder it lets me start moving it.

If I go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and change the default DragHeight and DragWidth from 4 to 0 (or anything <4) it continues to only work after 4 pixels. If I go >4 it does work as expected.

Can someone please help? Is this just a restriction to DragHeight? Is there another Registry that I have to edit to get it below 4 pixels?

Thank you!

:)

CarsonMcF, Mar 1, 2019

2. Drag and Drop

Sounds like a problem specific to your system, not Windows 10 in general (drag 'n drop - you do know it is still move or copy, eh; it moves by default but a right-click and drag 'n drop gives you choices... - works fine in Windows 10...) - when did you start
    experiencing the trouble with your system and can you better describe (with examples) what you are trying to do?

For example - on a Windows 10 box I setup, I just dragged and dropped (left mouse button) a file from the DOWNLOADS folder to the DESKTOP folder and it moved it. I then dragged and dropped the same file (right mouse button this time) from the DESKTOP to
    the DOWNLOADS folder and chose to COPY it when the choices came up...

How to change Drag-n-drop folder distance to zero? 2522c9dd-fac0-4ac7-af96-3d5fcf0e6976.gif

Shenan Stanley, Mar 1, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Drag and Drop

I'd like to be the thousandth person to mark this unhelpful!

Guest2, Mar 1, 2019
  4. MXZaidi Win User

Please Bring Back: Windows 10 - Jump List Drag-n-Drop Feature

Windows 7 used to allow you to right-click on the Excel/Word/Acrobat/PP/etc icon on the Taskbar to show you the recently opened files and the pinned files (called "Jump List"); and then drag-n-drop a file from the Jump List directly into your Outlook email.
    This was an incredibly efficient function in Windows 7. In Windows 10, the Jump Lists are still there but you cannot drag-n-drop the files; it only allows you to open a file.

Dear Microsoft Programmers Team -- please bring back this feature. Thank you.

MXZaidi, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

1. How to change Drag-n-drop folder distance to zero? - Similar Threads - change Drag drop

2. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and drop large folders and permissions: Hello,I am writing to report a problem with the windows storage server in my work place. We have a couple of folders that store 5 TB each on this server. However, when a user tries to drag a folder to another location and immediately cancels the request, the action is still...
  3. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop large folders and permissions: Hello,I am writing to report a problem with the windows storage server in my work place. We have a couple of folders that store 5 TB each on this server. However, when a user tries to drag a folder to another location and immediately cancels the request, the action is still...
  4. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Virtual Desktop - drag n drop windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Desktop - drag n drop windows: I just tried this, and was surprised that it worked. In Task View (Win+Tab), you can drag windows onto the other virtual desktops. I only tried this after I installed the Insider Dev Build, so I'm not sure if it works in the stable version. submitted by /u/ITs-My-Life...
  6. Need to change drag and drop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to change drag and drop: I am 76 years old, know little about computers and I badly need help with drag and drop. Often, I find data and files get mistakenly moved and I feel helpless. I'm pretty sure that my drag and drop function is too sensitive and needs adjustment. I found advice on line...
  7. Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox: In VirtualBox, I have enabled bidirectional clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop. However, neither works. Anybody have any ideas about what might be wrong? - - - Updated - - - Well, figured out that I had to install Guest Additions on the guest VM. This was done by mounting...
  8. How to change default File or Folder Drag and Drop behavior on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change default File or Folder Drag and Drop behavior on Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows 10 has two default actions when you drag and drop a file or folder into a new destination in File Explorer; Copy or Move, […] This article How to change default File or Folder Drag and Drop behavior on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  9. Folder disappeared after drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder disappeared after drag and drop: I accidentally dragged a folder containing very important docs mostly Word and PDFs from my desktop window into another folder’s window. After dragging back into the desktop window, it just disappeared. There was no dialog box showing the move, it just vanished. It’s now even...
  10. Drag n Drop in Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag n Drop in Win 10: Can you drag & drop files from one Explorer window to another? This is by right clicking the file and moving it holding the mouse down, then release in the target location. It's always worked for me in XP but Win 10 does not. It will however, r-click copy and then r-click...