Windows 10: How to change drive from D: to E: after Macrium system transfer?

Discus and support How to change drive from D: to E: after Macrium system transfer? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; . I used Macrium to restore a system partition to a new laptop. On my old laptop, the data partition was E: But the new data partition has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by OldGrantonian, Sep 21, 2017.

1. How to change drive from D: to E: after Macrium system transfer?

I used Macrium to restore a system partition to a new laptop. On my old laptop, the data partition was E: But the new data partition has been assigned as "D". As a result, some installed programs are unable to find their data.I tried to alter the drive letter using diskmgmt, but the only available choices were: A, B, D, F, H, I....

The diskmgmt procedure is here:

Drive letters assigned to restored or cloned partitions - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Is there an easy way to change the drive letters? As a last resort, I'm fairly comfortable with the registry. Is it risky to blindly change all occurrences of:

E:\Documents\Data\1SoftwareRelated

to

D:\Documents\Data\1SoftwareRelated ?

:)

OldGrantonian, Sep 21, 2017
  2. Bawell Win User

How to change destination drive? From C to D?

Destination for installing Nokia Suite

Bawell, Sep 21, 2017
  3. farby Win User
    How to change destination drive? From C to D?

Which device and destination for what ? Is it for the Nokia Store downloads ? If 'Yes'.. Go to Nokia Store in your phone and Log-in ..Then go to Options --> Account --> Settings --> Installation Preferences .. and select the appropriate destination..

farby, Sep 21, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

How to change drive from D: to E: after Macrium system transfer?

Does your new laptop have an Optical drive? A DVD/CD/Blueray device? If so, that has been assigned as "E", quite common and normal.

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2017
  5. Mooly Win User
    You can relabel something like the CD drive (or any partition) to an available letter to 'free up' the one it currently uses.

For example whatever is now E can be relabelled as Z. That frees E to use for the one you want to assign to.

Mooly, Sep 21, 2017
  6. .
    Thanks to f14tomcat and Mooly for the tips.Everything is now fine.

OldGrantonian, Sep 21, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Glad you got it all where you want it! *Smile

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to change drive from D: to E: after Macrium system transfer?

1. How to change drive from D: to E: after Macrium system transfer? - Similar Threads - change drive Macrium

2. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  3. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  4. Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  5. Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason

Drive letter changed from D: to E: for no reason: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  6. Why is my C drive in use while transferring files from D to E?

Why is my C drive in use while transferring files from D to E?: Sometimes, when I copy files from an HDD internal or external, no difference to an internal M.2 SSD, my C drive SATA SSD is in use. Task Manager shows me ~60% of usage ~30-60 MB/s read and ~300-1200 KB/s write.None of my drives is close to "full" and there is enough space to...
  7. Cloning to an E drive from C drive but not D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning to an E drive from C drive but not D drive: I want to clone my C SSD drive to my larger E SSD drive. My issue is when I open up Macrium to start the process my C drive SSD and D drive HDD both appear to be chosen for cloning. Both drives have system folders on them but my D drive is huge and I don't need to clone it. I...
  8. System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E: My system has been unable to boot for a month or so now. Finally bought a new SSD planning to replace my OS drive. An IT friend of the family recently visited and had a look. Diagnosed that the drive letters got changed after an update, or something similar. The system was...
  9. D and E drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D and E drives: Hi all, can anyone enlighten me as to why my D or E drives don't work, I want to copy some tracks onto my OC then burn them to another disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-and-e-drives/6cf8b911-ce0d-4e4e-a023-019f7c54a140
  10. How to change E Drive to D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change E Drive to D: On my Windows 10 Surface I have attached two extra separate hard drives via USB cables. For the last 12 months one was D: the other G:. Now they show up as E: and G: I have lots of links to files on my D: drive. How do I rename this E: back to D:?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 c drive relabelled d: