Windows 10: How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd

Discus and support How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello. I have an old Lenovo B50-30 All-in-One desktop. The 1 TB SATA hdd had become very slow, so I removed the CD drive and installed a 238 GB Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by atb_mufasa, Oct 16, 2021.

1. How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd

Hello. I have an old Lenovo B50-30 All-in-One desktop. The 1 TB SATA hdd had become very slow, so I removed the CD drive and installed a 238 GB Samsung SATA ssd. My old hdd has two partitions, a 256 GB C: with Windows 10 and larger non-bootable D: used to store data. I used a bootable Macrium Reflect usb pen drive to create an image of the OS, OEM and recovery partitions on C: and restore them on the ssd drive. I changed the settings in my BIOS to boot from the ssd and selected option to remove the hdd from the boot sequence. My old hdd has UEFI GPT partition, and so does the new ssd.The compu

:)

atb_mufasa, Oct 16, 2021

2. How can i change my new SSD into the C drive?

I recently bought a SSD for my computer and migrated the OS to it from the old HDD. I looked up how to change the letter for the drives as well but i can not seem to get the new SSD to be labeled as the C drive. I was wondering how do i make it so that
    SSD becomes the C drive and the old HDD drive becomes the new D drive.

Dakota.r.jones0125, Oct 16, 2021
  3. Changing Main drive letter from C to A risks

Hello, I’d like to change the main( boot/ windows/ mostly everything) drive letter from “C” to “A” mainly for aesthetic purposes.

When trying to change via disk management it warns me that “Some programs that rely on drive letters might not run properly”, I’ve read online that this might even cause problems such as windows not booting.

I currently have 2 ssds (one old, other new) and 1 hdd installed on the computer. I recently reset windows and I don’t have any important files across any of the 3 drives, the non boot ssd and the hdd are completely empty while the boot ssd has only new
    nvidia drivers, samsung ssd management software and spotify installed after reset.

What can go wrong due to changing the drive letter?

Am I more likely to see issues immediatly after changing the letter or after extended use?

I have a very high end pc from late 2017.

NojusVysniauskas, Oct 16, 2021
  4. STUD6 Win User

How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd

HDD cant find installed Window 7 after I changed the drive name

I have Window 7 installed in my old 1 tb HDD. After I purchased a new 120gb SSD i installed a new window 10 pro on this SSD which was my default boot drive. As I wanted to keep both HDD and SSD as my bootable drive so i can use window 7 on old or Window
    10 on SSD. I didnt formatted my C Drive on old HDD. While using/booting window 10 pro on my SSD, I changed the drive letter of Old HDD in which window 7 was installed. But after that i am unable to boot from this Old HDD though i try to change the Drive
    letter to previous name. When i try to boot from old HDD which C drive name i have changed its display a messege that operating system is missing. A programm etc from this C drive has not been deleted still i cant boot. What to do now.

STUD6, Oct 16, 2021
Thema:

How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd

1. How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd - Similar Threads - change drive letter

2. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  3. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  4. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  5. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  6. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd: Hello. I have an old Lenovo B50-30 All-in-One desktop. The 1 TB SATA hdd had become very slow, so I removed the CD drive and installed a 238 GB Samsung SATA ssd. My old hdd has two partitions, a 256 GB C: with Windows 10 and larger non-bootable D: used to store data. I used a...
  8. How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change drive letter C: on an old hdd to a new ssd: Hello. I have an old Lenovo B50-30 All-in-One desktop. The 1 TB SATA hdd had become very slow, so I removed the CD drive and installed a 238 GB Samsung SATA ssd. My old hdd has two partitions, a 256 GB C: with Windows 10 and larger non-bootable D: used to store data. I used a...
  9. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  10. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...