Windows 10: How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows

Discus and support How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So Everything Ive Googled says go to settings --> network and internet --> Ethernet, then click on the Ethernet network name and change the toggle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mikfem1, Feb 27, 2020.

1. How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows

So Everything Ive Googled says go to settings --> network and internet --> Ethernet, then click on the Ethernet network name and change the toggle there. However, When i click on the Ethernet network name , all i get is Metered connection setting. Theres nothing about being able to find other PCs or making My pc discoverable. Ive seen that u should go the uac then change it to deafult and it should pop up as an option. However, it doesnt do it for me. Any help?

submitted by /u/mikfem1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mikfem1, Feb 27, 2020

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 27, 2020
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 27, 2020
  4. How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows

Change Network Profile to Private From Public

Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are already on for both the public and private profiles. Allow Windows to manage Homegroups is on for the private profile; it is not an option under public.

NancyMcFarland, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows

1. How to change Ethernet network profile from public to private in Windows - Similar Threads - change Ethernet network

2. Change the WSL network profile from public to private.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the WSL network profile from public to private.: using Windows insider build 22463Hi,I had a Problem with WSL a few days ago.I now figured out that the problem was that I had set the Windows firewall to block all connections incomming from a public network. Since this includes the WSL network, I wasnt able to do a DNS...
  3. Standard Users Unable to Change Network Profile from Public to Private

Standard Users Unable to Change Network Profile from Public to Private: My organisation has just started joining our endpoints to AAD using Endpoint Manager rather than using local AD. I have noticed since joining a device, standard users are unable to change the network profile from Public to Private, which they were able to do when connected to...
  4. Cannot change network profile from Public to Private

Cannot change network profile from Public to Private: I have searched and seen numerous posts about the latest builds of Windows 10 removing the easy way to change your network profile from Public to Private, and vice versa. I have tried both the Powershell (Admin) method and the registry change method. With both, the changes do...
  5. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  6. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  7. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  9. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023
  10. How to change network connection from Public to Private?

How to change network connection from Public to Private?: Does anyone know how to change the network from Public to Private in build 9926? It's defaulting to Public with network discovery turned off, etc, and I'd like to change it to Private. 3685