Windows 10: how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane?

Discus and support how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the Explorer view, I normally have the file list in Details format and the Preview Pane turned on. A few associations have recently become broken,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by June20, Jun 25, 2020.

1. June20 Win User

how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane?

In the Explorer view, I normally have the file list in Details format and the Preview Pane turned on.
    A few associations have recently become broken, in that the preview pane shows nothing, but file with other extensions show their normal previews.
    All other Explorer functions are behaving normally. I don't know what has done this, perhaps bugs in the uninstall process for a few apps.
    Changing the default app used to open the file (as set by the Rclick/Opens with dialog box) makes no difference to whether anything shows in the Preview Pane.
    The handler chosen to create the preview is presumably located in the registry, but I can't see how the system works.
    So how do I permanently change the preview handler for a given extension?
    What is the correct key/value structure for each file association in the registry to make this work?

Version is Win10 Pro 1909 build 10.0.18363.836

:)

June20, Jun 25, 2020

2. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jun 25, 2020
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Preview pane doesn't work in Windows 10

Hi RuthZekowski,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Are you facing issue with all your files or any particular files?
    2. Which version of Windows you are using?
    3. Since when are you facing this issue?

The Preview pane shows the contents of certain files selected in File Explorer. For images, it is a thumbnail preview.

If you are unable to preview in File explorer, I suggest you to try the below steps.

1. Open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.
    2. Click Options, and then click Change folder and search options to open Folder Options dialog.
    3. Check the Show preview handlers in preview pane box, and click/tap on OK.​

Please reply for all the required information to help you further.

Hope it helps.

Mithin_EJ, Jun 25, 2020
  4. how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane?

Preview pane doesn't work in Windows 10

RuthZekowski, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane?

1. how to change extension-specific handlers for Explorer's Preview Pane? - Similar Threads - change extension specific

2. Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64: Recently I've found a solution to a long-running problem, as a result of which no previews were generated in Explorer Preview pane for every file, except images and videos. It turned out that I had 64-bit Preview Handler Surrogate Host prevhost.exe registry key missing in...
  3. Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64: Recently I've found a solution to a long-running problem, as a result of which no previews were generated in Explorer Preview pane for every file, except images and videos. It turned out that I had 64-bit Preview Handler Surrogate Host prevhost.exe registry key missing in...
  4. Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked: In Windows 10, the checkbox for "Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane" will not stay checked. Sometimes it stays for up to 30 minutes, sometimes only a minute or two....
  6. Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked: In Windows 10, the checkbox for "Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane" will not stay checked. Sometimes it stays for up to 30 minutes, sometimes only a minute or two....
  7. Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Win10 Explorer Preview Pane not working, preview handler Windows TXT Previewer might be broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 Explorer Preview Pane not working, preview handler Windows TXT Previewer might be broken: Hey guys, My File Explorer will not the preview any .txt files in the preview pane. I also set up to open .md, .reg and .js files with notepad - they do open, but the preview is also broken, which leads me to believe the Windows TXT Previewer...
  9. Win10 Explorer Preview Pane not working, preview handler Windows TXT Previewer might be broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Explorer Preview Pane not working, preview handler Windows TXT Previewer might be broken: Hey guys, My File Explorer will not the preview any .txt files in the preview pane. I also set up to open .md, .reg and .js files with notepad - they do open, but the preview is also broken, which leads me to believe the Windows TXT Previewer...
  10. Preview Pane Size Not Optimal, preview handlers

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Preview Pane Size Not Optimal, preview handlers: Hi, I am working on three monitors of different sizes. Multiple displays mode is set to: "Extend desktop to this display". In other words I can e.g. work with multiple apps or File Explorers opened and arranged for convenience. All three monitors are set to recommended...