Windows 10: How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

Discus and support How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ugcheleuce, Nov 30, 2015.

1. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

Hello everyone

I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web Document", but I would like to change the File Type for HTML files to "HTML file" and for HTM files to "HTM file".

In Windows 7 I used a utility called Default Programs Editor, but that utility doesn't quite work on Windows 10 anymore. I have some file types here that do not show up in the list of registered file types, which I want to change. For example, I have WSXZ files which are opened by a program called SDL, and the "File Type" according to Windows 10 is "SDL WSXZ Document", but I would like to change that to "WSXZ Forward Package File".

How can I do this? Is there an easy way to do it?

Thanks
    Samuel

:)

ugcheleuce, Nov 30, 2015

2. How to change the file type description in Windows 10?

Please mark that reply as "Solved my problem" and/or "Helpful" which helps others find solutions to similar issues.

Yes Nirsoft has a lot of excellent utilities. Another good source for free utilities is SysInternals (which is Microsoft owned).

SysInternals - Free utilities

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545021.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 30, 2015
  3. How to change the file type description in Windows 10?

That is a brilliant wee bit of software and works a charm. Many thanks for that!! How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files ;)

BigStevie1973, Nov 30, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

Hi you could try Gunners File Type Editor. It appears to be able to do this, but I've not specifically tried.

You might wish to retry Default Programs Editor, but run it as admin.

Note that doing this might prove a waste of time in Win 10, as MS as you may know has introduced a new type of update which is very similar to reinstalling Windows (as in the TH2 10586 November update/upgrade.

Or you could use e.g. FileTypesMan (Nirsoft) and use that to open regedit at the right place as a convenience.

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
Thema:

How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

1. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files - Similar Threads - change File type

2. File Types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Types: Hi Community. Dohn here again. All of my songs are MP3 files, except one. I have one M4A file, “Time Passages” by Al Stewart. Both file types play fine with Windows Media Player. Question? What is the difference between MP3 and M4A files? Thanks Community....
  3. File Types

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Types: Hi Community. Dohn here again. All of my songs are MP3 files, except one. I have one M4A file, “Time Passages” by Al Stewart. Both file types play fine with Windows Media Player. Question? What is the difference between MP3 and M4A files? Thanks Community....
  4. File Types

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing the file type assocation for a file

Changing the file type assocation for a file: Hi! I've been trying to get rid of Notepad++ as my automatic JSON file launcher thingy but I haven't been able to even after resetting to the defaults. I've tried many solutions I've seen on here but nothing seems to work. I've even deleted Notepad++ but it's not working, and...
  6. Setting File type descriptions

Setting File type descriptions: Please tell me how to set the description of a filetype nowadays. In the 'good' old days this could easily be done. But it obviously was too user-friendly so it got removed. I know the NirSoft tool FileTypesMan which is often recommended for this, as in the answers to this:...
  7. file types

file types: OK to delete an ESD file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-types/2b7a6d85-cf63-4b57-9383-b7b28dfd249a"
  8. Editing File Icon and Type Description

Editing File Icon and Type Description: This is a question about File Explorer in Windows 10: how do I change the icon as well as the description displayed under the "Type" column in File Explorer? For each entry (directory or file) in File Explorer, there is an icon on the left next to the its name and a...
  9. SRT files type changed!

SRT files type changed!: Hi, i installed KMplayer mins ago and it changed the type of SRT files! i need to make the notepad the default program as previous, how can i did this [ATTACH] i tried to chose it from here and nothing won't change! and i wesnt to setting - default apps - choose...
  10. change file type

in Windows 10 Support
    change file type: I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type. Question, how do I change it back to it's...