Windows 10: How to change forgotten password if netplwiz enables access

Discus and support How to change forgotten password if netplwiz enables access in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have used netplwiz so I don't have to give a password to use the computer. I would like to be able to change the forgotten password in case some... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Jambe, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Jambe Win User

How to change forgotten password if netplwiz enables access

I have used netplwiz so I don't have to give a password to use the computer.
    I would like to be able to change the forgotten password in case some future update requires it.
    I just installed 1903 and it asked for a password. Fortunately, when I rebooted it didn't ask again for the password.
    I am the only user of the computer. I know my Microsoft password but not the computer password.
    I found where I can change the password but it requires entering the old, forgotten password.
    How can I create a new password?

:)

Jambe, Dec 30, 2019
  2. Jambe Win User

Windows Password Forgotten but Netplwiz was activated--PW not required

I want to find out what my forgotten Windows logon password is.

I am not locked out of Windows because I had run Netplwiz and unchecked the box requiring password to log on.

Can it be found in the registry?

(I hesitate to use Change windows logon tutorial in case it asks for old password and I get locked out. Is one of those 6 appropriate to use when I don't know old password? I am the only user/administrator.)

Jambe, Dec 30, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Obtain forgotten PC password

" Under Password for Administrator / Reset Password... Will resetting this password be the correct password to use to login Windows 10 if enabled in User Accounts?"

NO !! It looks like you accessed this by enabling elevated Admin then netplwiz. By default it does not have a password. So, if you changed it to add on, you better have written it down or not forgotten or you'll never be able to get it back. You want to either delete unnecessary users (I only have one, me) or to change or add password, highlight User and Properties to see your options.

PS; do not forget to disable elevated Admin when finished. Highlight Administrators, then Properties. There's a Disable option there (AFTER you change the password back to blank or make 100% sure you KNOW it !).

ALSO, re-post your User Accounts screenshot to incl all your accounts AND remove your personal info by crossing thru it.

mrgeek, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Try3 Win User

Forgotten admin password.

Sorry but "Admin account" might be a description. Is your answer to 1 that you are signed in to the built-in account with the username Administrator or do you just mean that you are signed in to an account that has admin status [an account that you have made at some stage]?

The account to select in the list is the one that you want to reset the password to. If that is the one you are signed in to then you'll get that To change your password press Alt+Ctrl+Delete message instead [and the existing password is needed in order to do any change].

You need to be signed in to a different admin user account in order to reset the existing one's password. By the way, you will lose all your saved internet sign-in credentials by resetting it.
    - You could create a new password-protected, admin-level local user account {steps given in a separate post below} then sign in to it so you could then use netplwiz to reset the original one.

Denis

Thema:

1. How to change forgotten password if netplwiz enables access - Similar Threads - change forgotten password

2. Netplwiz access problem password to Windows 11

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Netplwiz access problem password to Windows 11: I used Netplwiz and I accidentally deleted my only administrator account, now I cannot access windows, since it asks me for a password that I have never created. Therefore I cannot log in. What I can do?...
  3. Netplwiz access problem password to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Netplwiz access problem password to Windows 11: I used Netplwiz and I accidentally deleted my only administrator account, now I cannot access windows, since it asks me for a password that I have never created. Therefore I cannot log in. What I can do?...
  4. Netplwiz access problem password to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing username in netplwiz broke my password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing username in netplwiz broke my password: Hi,I just used netplwiz to change my username. After doing so, I log out and went back to see if the change was visible. At that point I see on the lock screen that it still displays the old username. Strange. I type my password to log in and keep going, and ... "the password...
  6. Remove need for password on startup - Netplwiz changed?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remove need for password on startup - Netplwiz changed?: I have had to reinstall Windows so am re-setting things to what I want. As a new install I have the latest version. One thing I don't want is to not have to enter a password on startup. In the past I could do this by using NETPLWIZ. There is one user - me as Admin. The box...
  7. NETPLWIZ Change?

NETPLWIZ Change?: Bought a new SSD and installed Win 10 Pro. I don't like having to login every time I start my PC. So I would open NETPLWIZ and un-tick the box and no longer need to login. But I noticed on my fresh install of 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804) this option no longer exists. (See...
  8. change forgotten password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    change forgotten password: hi, i have a laptop with windows 10 that i have forgotten the password to. i know the pin and can get into the laptop but i want to be able to change the password. i don't have security questions set up. it is the local account password not the microsoft account password....
  9. FORGOTTEN PASSWORD To gain access to Laptop

FORGOTTEN PASSWORD To gain access to Laptop: Hi, I reset a password for my friend. My friend didn't write it down and neither did I. It has been a coup[le of years. Model The password involves the start page. Laptop works fine. It is an Asus, Model X55M1, with Win10 installed. I have the original disc that came with...
  10. Windows Password Forgotten but Netplwiz was activated--PW not required

Windows Password Forgotten but Netplwiz was activated--PW not required: I want to find out what my forgotten Windows logon password is. I am not locked out of Windows because I had run Netplwiz and unchecked the box requiring password to log on. Can it be found in the registry? (I hesitate to use Change windows logon tutorial in case it...