Windows 10: How to change free space into new primary partition ?

Discus and support How to change free space into new primary partition ? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; i want to to change free space into new primary partition , because i want to install linux as a second OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mohamed Galal1, Aug 15, 2022.

1. How to change free space into new primary partition ?

i want to to change free space into new primary partition , because i want to install linux as a second OS

:)

Mohamed Galal1, Aug 15, 2022

2. unable to change unallocated space to primary partition or logical partition.

1) Are you able to view the unallocated 100 Gb memory space in the Disk management?

Yes, checked that before posting.

2) How exactly you are trying to change the unallocated space to primary or logical drive?

Open EaseUS Partition Master, highlight the unallocated partition. If it is a primary partition click on "Convert to logical" and if it is a logical partition click on "Convert to primary". Then click apply.

What about the question as to why, when I booted from the W10 ISO disk I was not given the option of where to install the OS? Thanks.

kemperhill, Aug 15, 2022
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 15, 2022
  4. How to change free space into new primary partition ?

unable to change unallocated space to primary partition or logical partition.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

1) Are you able to view the unallocated 100 Gb memory space in the Disk management?

To open Disk management, press Windows key +x and select Disk Management.

2) How exactly you are trying to change the unallocated space to primary or logical drive?

As per your query, I like to inform you that, you can have maximum of three primary drives in one hard drive in your system.

If you are able to view the unallocated 100 Gb memory space in the Disk management then I suggest you to follow the below steps to create a new drive and check if it helps.

1) Press Windows key + x, and select Disk Management.

2) Check for the unallocated memory space.

3) Right click on the unallocated memory space.

4) Select New Simple Volume.

5) Follow the onscreen instruction.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 15, 2022
Thema:

How to change free space into new primary partition ?

1. How to change free space into new primary partition ? - Similar Threads - change free space

2. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to restore the free space partition?: It used to be the D disk but now it becomes this free space oneI can't upload the picture https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-free-space-partition/97c9bd5c-ccda-47d3-8c48-255adf9cfccd
  3. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore the free space partition?: It used to be the D disk but now it becomes this free space oneI can't upload the picture https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-free-space-partition/97c9bd5c-ccda-47d3-8c48-255adf9cfccd
  4. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change free space into new primary partition ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change free space into new primary partition ?: i want to to change free space into new primary partition , because i want to install linux as a second OS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-free-space-into-new-primary/9f6b24f3-c508-41eb-9f47-1f47c14cacc1
  6. How to change free space into new primary partition ?

How to change free space into new primary partition ?: i want to to change free space into new primary partition , because i want to install linux as a second OS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-free-space-into-new-primary/9f6b24f3-c508-41eb-9f47-1f47c14cacc1
  7. How to change free space into unallocated space?

How to change free space into unallocated space?: Normally shrinking a drive gives us an unallocated space. But when I shrinked a volume, I got free space instead of unallocated space. [ATTACH] What to do? Ask me any question if you have doubt regarding this....
  8. how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition

how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition: Hello in the pic I have a drive that I intend to clone to a larger drive. Now I am guessing that the clone will have some unallocated space on it and if that unallocated space is situated behind the recovery partition how do I move it into the primary partition making C:...
  9. how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition

in Windows 10 Support
    how to make unallocated space merge with the primary partition: Hello in the pic I have a drive that I intend to clone to a larger drive. Now I am guessing that the clone will have some unallocated space on it and if that unallocated space is situated behind the recovery partition how do I move it into the primary partition making C:...
  10. Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition

Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition: After I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a new partition showed up. I just deleted it and it became unallocated space. How can I merge this space with my primary partition. Both are on a 256 SSD. When I right click C: in disk management, the extend volume choice is...