Windows 10: How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10

Discus and support How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 file systems organize your hard disk based on cluster size (also known as allocation unit size). If you haven’t specified cluster size when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 8, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10

Windows 10 file systems organize your hard disk based on cluster size (also known as allocation unit size). If you haven’t specified cluster size when you format a partition, it will select the defaults based on the size of the partition – and this is one of the reasons for which you need to change […]

This article How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 8, 2021
  2. Dave494 Win User

Larger NTFS cluster size

Hi, is there any way to format NTFS with larger cluster sizes - during Windows 10 setup - and install Windows 10 onto it? Since larger cluster sizes improve performance, at the expense of wasted slack space. This could improve the performance of hard
    drives, which feel much slower than SSD drives!

Dave494, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Fresh Windows 10 install on RAID 0 drives with 64kb cluster size

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to perform a Clean W10 installation on my desktop.

However I'm using a RAID 0 drive structure and wanted to set a Stripe size of 128kb and an Cluster size of 64kb on the primary (SSD) drives.

I've searched a lot about the best way to perform a format with 64kb of cluster size on your primary Windows partition.

The best method I could find was using the DISKPART command in (elevated X: within the Windows 10 troubleshooter).

So I thought it was okay to assume that the RAID config is completely serparted from the partition config, and because of that I thought a format of the partition on my primary drive was never gonna affect my RAID config right?

• So firstly I deleted the previous RAID config (this also removes all partitions), set my bios to default settings and set the SATA boot mode to RAID, also enabled Intel Rapid Storage technology.
    • After that I went to the W10 help and troubleshooting and created a primary partition on the (one and only Disk 0, because the RAID was allready in place, Windows saw this as 1 Disk). "create partition primary"
    • I formatted that partition to have a 64kb cluster size like I wanted. "format fs=ntfs unit=64k"
    • But when I tried to install Windows on it, it kept failing, even though it's the only Disk in the list and I have even loaded the Intel F6 Raid Controller drivers on the Disk, but still got that error that the Disk could not be used to install.

I'm assuming that 2 things could cause my problem.

• Creating and formatting the partition messed up the RAID config.
    • Windows does simply not allow an installation on a non default cluster size like 64kb.

I would like to know what the problem is from a professional.

Thanks in advance!

maximdelaet, Apr 8, 2021
  4. revin Win User

How to EDIT Disk Clusters for size

After some format snafu, my 400gb will only now read 115GB

Before all this it did read correctly in BIOS as a 400GB drive.

I have tried a zillion ways to format/partation and change, but it seems the drive has been told it's only a 115GB size[even after wiping to all zeros, and tried 1kb cluster's]

Need to know where in this table it determines what the [400GB] size is to change.

How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10 Capture042712.jpg

revin, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

1. How to change Hard Disk Cluster Size in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - change Hard Disk

2. Is it possible to change how disk size is shown in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to change how disk size is shown in Windows 10?: So I do know that Windows uses GiB instead of GB but show GiB as GB which is kind of confusing to me. Suppose I get a 1TB hard disk but as windows uses GiB it will display as 953.6 GB which is confusing to a lot of people as many don't even know that windows uses GiB instead...
  3. Is it possible to change how disk size is shown in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to change how disk size is shown in Windows 10?: So I do know that Windows uses GiB instead of GB but show GiB as GB which is kind of confusing to me. Suppose I get a 1TB hard disk but as windows uses GiB it will display as 953.6 GB which is confusing to a lot of people as many don't even know that windows uses GiB instead...
  4. Is it possible to change how disk size is shown in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get (with Powershell) Cluster and Sector size of partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get (with Powershell) Cluster and Sector size of partition?: How do I find out WITH POWERSHELL the current cluster size and the sector size for a partition S:\? The following does not work: Get-Volume S:\ | Format-List AllocationUnitSize, FileSystemLabel The command fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo S:\ should not be used 167816
  6. How to get (with Powershell) Cluster and Sector size of partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get (with Powershell) Cluster and Sector size of partition?: How do I find out WITH POWERSHELL the current cluster size and the sector size for a partition S:\? The following does not work: Get-Volume S:\ | Format-List AllocationUnitSize, FileSystemLabel The command fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo S:\ should not be used 167816
  7. How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?: I couldn't find a way to learn what's the cluster size (allocation unit size) for an exFAT partition (or any other format). I tried with HWinfo, Windows msinfo32, Hard drive sentinel, DriveDX. None of them say it! Any help much welcome. - - - Updated - - - Just right click...
  8. How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I know the cluster size for an exFAT hard drive?: I couldn't find a way to learn what's the cluster size (allocation unit size) for an exFAT partition (or any other format). I tried with HWinfo, Windows msinfo32, Hard drive sentinel, DriveDX. None of them say it! Any help much welcome. - - - Updated - - - Just right click...
  9. Change Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change Hard Disk: My computer is runing Windows 10free upgrade digital license. What is the most appropriate method to change my hard disk without the need to contact Microsoft Support? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-hard-disk/45d7c5da-fcab-4c57-a4bd-e09a3bbb7c12
  10. Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size: I went to SSDs on all of my computers some time back, but I still use WD RE4s and 2.5 inch WD Black HDDs for a variety of backup tasks and for storage in which the data will not be accessed for a period longer than is ideal to use a non-powered SSD for. On my Macs I am using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cluster size change