Windows 10: How to change hard disk security ownership?

Discus and support How to change hard disk security ownership? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I rebuilt my computer when I put my hard drive back into the system and try to change ownership I kept getting this error. I don't even know where the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Charlie2, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Charlie2 Win User

How to change hard disk security ownership?

I rebuilt my computer when I put my hard drive back into the system and try to change ownership I kept getting this error. I don't even know where the F:\$RECYCLE.BIN is even located in my disk.

How to change hard disk security ownership? f8d4ce9e-fea4-47a5-9a10-a4a330f8138f?upload=true.png

:)

Charlie2, Feb 22, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

Can't take ownership of external hard disk

Hi Jenil,

Welcome to the Microsoft community.

In order to assist you better could you please confirm a few things like:

• Have you installed any third party folder lock software on your computer?
    I would suggest you to follow methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1: Make sure that you are logged in as an administrator.

Step 2: Try to take ownership of the files and check if it helps.

Taking ownership of a folder from explorer

1) Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.

2) Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu.

3) Click on "Security" tab.

4) Click on “Advanced” button.

5) Now click on "Owner" tab in Advanced Security Settings for User windows.

6) Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list.

7) Click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

8) Now select User/group and click apply and ok. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

9) Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

10) Now Owner name must have changed.

11) Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows.

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is granting permissions to that file/folder or object.

If the above method doesn’t work, you could try taking ownership from the command line.

Or Taking ownership of a file or folder from command line

Open an elevated Command Prompt window.

To do so:

a. press windows + X.

b. Select Command Prompt as Administrator.

c. Type the following command and press ENTER:

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

d. To assign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for the folder, use this syntax:

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

The /T parameter is added so that the operation is carried out through all the sub-directories and files within that folder.

e. To know more information about the above commands, run these commands from a Command Prompt window.

takeown /?

icacls /?

Once you take ownership, you can grant permissions on those files or folders.

Method 2:

Try the steps in the following Microsoft article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Chkdsk disclaimer.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. WE will be glad to assist.

Arul_D, Feb 22, 2020
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Feb 22, 2020
  4. How to change hard disk security ownership?

Location is not available F:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. External hard drive

Hi,

Most of the time, when your external hard drive shows that error message, it suggests that you don’t have the privilege of accessing to the disk partition. We need to get a permit to take ownership of the drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click your hard drive, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then select Edit.
    • On the Owner tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Martin Bar, Feb 22, 2020
Thema:

How to change hard disk security ownership?

1. How to change hard disk security ownership? - Similar Threads - change hard disk

2. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change a computer's ownership: HelloI have a computer laptop with my Microsoft Account. I want to give this computer to another person with a different Microsoft Account to own. So when this other person logs in turns on the computer they can see their name and enter their PIN as if they bought the...
  3. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change a computer's ownership: HelloI have a computer laptop with my Microsoft Account. I want to give this computer to another person with a different Microsoft Account to own. So when this other person logs in turns on the computer they can see their name and enter their PIN as if they bought the...
  4. How to change a computer's ownership

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  6. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  7. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. unable to delete file or change security/ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to delete file or change security/ownership: An error occurred while applying security information Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-file-or-change-securityownership/fed72046-4ab0-4af6-bdf1-088219126e87
  9. change ownership

in Windows 10 Customization
    change ownership: I am giving a friend my old laptop how do I change the name of the computer and change the lock screen and create a new admin acct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ownership/3b3af5b9-868f-473e-8705-9126a83dc9d6
  10. Change Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change Hard Disk: My computer is runing Windows 10free upgrade digital license. What is the most appropriate method to change my hard disk without the need to contact Microsoft Support? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-hard-disk/45d7c5da-fcab-4c57-a4bd-e09a3bbb7c12