Windows 10: How to change hard drive without reinstalling?

Discus and support How to change hard drive without reinstalling? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Lately the hard drive makes strange noises and starts to work very slowly, I would like to change to a new one but without having to reinstall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NepT1, Jan 30, 2020.

1. NepT1 Win User

How to change hard drive without reinstalling?

Lately the hard drive makes strange noises and starts to work very slowly, I would like to change to a new one but without having to reinstall anything, how could I do it? thanks.

:)

NepT1, Jan 30, 2020

2. Hard Drive not Showing

Hi Lori,

Thank you for posting back.

• How are you connecting the Hard drive to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the hard drive to a different computer and check if it works?

It's possible that your USB drivers are corrupt. I suggest you to try the following steps and check.

• Press Windows Key +R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      to open Device manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
      at the left bottom.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jan 30, 2020
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jan 30, 2020
  4. How to change hard drive without reinstalling?

Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

How to change hard drive without reinstalling?

1. How to change hard drive without reinstalling? - Similar Threads - change hard drive

2. How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive: I have a 250 GB SSD for my "C drive" and only my windows is in there. all other files are in a 1.0 TB hard drive. I am currently using widows 10 and want to change my windows to 11. is there a way to change windows on SSD and don't touch the files on hard drive ? I want SSD...
  3. How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change windows on SSD without touching the hard drive: I have a 250 GB SSD for my "C drive" and only my windows is in there. all other files are in a 1.0 TB hard drive. I am currently using widows 10 and want to change my windows to 11. is there a way to change windows on SSD and don't touch the files on hard drive ? I want SSD...
  4. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. It is fairly old, bought new around 2007ish. It came with Windows 7 as the original OS. Over the years, it has updated to newer versions all on its own. It's now running Windows 10.A couple of weeks ago, it was attempting to update to the newest...
  5. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. It is fairly old, bought new around 2007ish. It came with Windows 7 as the original OS. Over the years, it has updated to newer versions all on its own. It's now running Windows 10.A couple of weeks ago, it was attempting to update to the newest...
  6. Windows Reinstall After Hard Drive Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Change of hard drive in PC with windows - Need to reinstall it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change of hard drive in PC with windows - Need to reinstall it: Dear Microsoft community, I bought a PC Levono Yoga 530 with Windows installed on it. However, I had to change the PC hard drive because the previous one had an issue. Thus, I lost Windows since it is not installed on my new hard drive. I currently installed a version of...
  8. Changing Hard drive and reinstall software

Changing Hard drive and reinstall software: Hi, I want to update my hard drive to a newer faster model. I am told that I can register my microsoft software so that I don't have to repurchase it when I get the new hard drive and reinstall Office/Outlook. Is this correct if so how do I do it please?...
  9. How to reinstall Windows without a bootable drive ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to reinstall Windows without a bootable drive ?: I have a 32-bit Windows 10 on my laptop with a 64-bit processor and 6 GB of RAM. I have to install 64-bit Windows 10 to avoid possible problems but I only have a 4 GB USB flash drive. How can I install Windows without using bootable disks ? submitted by /u/magiCAHIK...
  10. How do I reinstall Windows 10 after changing hard drives?

How do I reinstall Windows 10 after changing hard drives?: So a few months ago, my computer's hard drive broke, therefore I could not use my computer. Now i am getting a new hard drive, but how do I install Windows 10 on it? I am hearing mixed things about it. My computer is a prebuilt HP desktop and I dont know any keys or codes...