Windows 10: How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives

Discus and support How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Up front: I know how to update the "Friendly Name" of devices. A good tutorial can be found on: TUTORIAL: How to change device names in Device Manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tfwul, Mar 17, 2020.

1. tfwul Win User

How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives

Up front: I know how to update the "Friendly Name" of devices. A good tutorial can be found on:

TUTORIAL: How to change device names in Device Manager | Windows 8 Help Forums

When running VMware Workstation and connecting an external USB Drive from host, VMware displays the "Hardware IDs" rather than the "Friendly Names"

A long shot, as probably this is firmware based, i.e. in this case only Western Digital, but would it be possible to change the 'Hardware ID' name into a 'Friendly Name' as well?

Thanks.
    (Windows 10 x64 18363.720)

Attachment 270745

:)

tfwul, Mar 17, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

How to change an external drive name?

The OP is trying to change the Device Name, not the names of any partitions or volumes on that device. That is the name as seen in Device Manager. The 'USB Device' part seems to be a generic identifier appended to the specific device name derived from its Hardware ID. I don't see any way to change that behaviour, I'm afraid.

How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives [​IMG]

3. Berton Win User
    How to change an external drive name?

In File Explorer right-click the drive letter [M:] and see if you have Rename toward the bottom of the context list. If so, click that item and type the new name desired, should take up to 11 characters or maybe 13. Historically, in days of DOS/Disk Operating System the process was called Label.

How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives [​IMG]

Berton, Mar 17, 2020
  4. How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives

External drives not accepting changes to names

Hi Steve,

You can try changing the driver names through Disk Management. To access disk management, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key and type, "manage".
    • Right-click on Computer Management and choose to Run as Administrator.
    • On the left pane, click on Disk Management. Here, you may change the names of the external drives.

Also, try revealing hidden files folders and delete the Autorun.inf folder. You will also need administrator rights to delete them. Once they're deleted, restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Jairit Bet, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives

1. How to change Hardware IDs names of external drives - Similar Threads - change Hardware IDs

2. How to change Hardware ID of a SSD or HDDDual-booting simplifying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Hardware ID of a SSD or HDDDual-booting simplifying: Hello all,So I frequently change my secondary OS currently my main OS is Windows 11 and my secondary OS is Garuda.It doesn't seem to matter what I do, but neither on will read a Drive Name or Partition Name set by the other OS.I want to be able to somehow label the drives so...
  3. External drive name changed to boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drive name changed to boot.: My external drive name recently changed to boot and I lost all of my files on it, I now cannot reinstall said files on my C drive. I deleted the files within the drive and nothing changed, the storage space also changed from 1TB to 252MB....
  4. Laptop name changed after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop name changed after a hardware change: Hi all, I have a TOSHIBA Satellite C850-P5010, it acts strange every 3 month, the ALT key is being pressed and I can't really do anything. So every time I give to the repairman he replaces the keyboard. One day, I asked him what is the permanent solution, he replaced the...
  5. How do I change my PC's Hardware ID?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change my PC's Hardware ID?: Title says it all submitted by /u/DrizyYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i84bdl/how_do_i_change_my_pcs_hardware_id/
  6. Change Hardware ID

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Hardware ID: I have software that the company has closed and part of the installation that I need to do has the new hardware ID. It doesn't match the one before upgrading so my user name and key will no longer work. I have documentation showing the original hardware ID and the...
  7. How to change an external drive name?

How to change an external drive name?: I have multiple Western Digital external USB drives. Windows shows them as: "WD My Book 1230 USB Device" I mean this way: [img] Sizes are different though, e.g. 4TB 6TB. Within Windows Explorer, it is all clear, the drives have different names. When connecting the...
  8. Naming external drives

Naming external drives: I am having problems with naming external drives. I have two. When I tried to rename them G and F, it worked sort of but now the names are (G:)(F:) and (F:)(G:). Because of this many of my shortcuts do not work. When I add the drives to another lap top they are G: and F:...
  9. how can i change hardware id?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i change hardware id?: is there anyway that i can change my hardware ip instead of buying a new spec for my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-change-hardware-id/643e2a04-2f42-4c0e-94af-266b9dece67b
  10. changing number or name of external hard drives

changing number or name of external hard drives: I have about 6 external hard drives and I want to change their designation, like A. B. C or 1, 2, 3, but windows puts it's own designation on each one, and as a result, some have the same letter....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Usb id change

2. change hardware name of usb drive

3. change hard drive name id