Windows 10: How to change how long Windows waits before closing apps at Shutdown or Restart

Discus and support How to change how long Windows waits before closing apps at Shutdown or Restart in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you want to change the time interval for which Windows waits before closing apps at Shutdown or Restart, you need to edit the value […]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 28, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to change how long Windows waits before closing apps at Shutdown or Restart

WinClub, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User

How to force close all apps on restart or shutdown ?

Create a shortcut on the desktop that has this in it:

shutdown /f /r /t 0

/f = Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
    /r = Full shutdown and restart the computer.
    /t 0 = Set the time-out period before shutdown to 0 seconds (immediate restart).

Enter shutdown /? from a Command Prompt for the full list of options.

I think you're better off to wait a bit and let the programs and services close on their own, If they don't after 30 seconds or so then force them closed.

Ztruker, Jun 28, 2020
  3. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

How to change how long Windows waits before closing apps at Shutdown or Restart [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

How to change how long Windows waits before closing apps at Shutdown or Restart [​IMG]

Thema:

1. How to change how long Windows waits before closing apps at Shutdown or Restart - Similar Threads - change long waits

2. How to force close app and shutdown?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force close app and shutdown?: My windows 10 file explorer is not responding sometimes and it's been the 4th times. I don't know why. I wanted to restart explorer proces from task manager but task manager isn't working either. So I restart explorer using the restart explorer.bat file on the desktop that...
  3. How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to gracefully shutdown virtualbox.exe before windows shutdown?: Hi, I am looking for the solution to gracefully shutdown one of the existing service/process before the windows shutdown event being triggered. T he issue is whenever i call the batch file(which invokes the shutdown of the VirtualBoxManager.exe) during shutdown event, it...
  4. How to force close all apps on restart or shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to force close all apps on restart or shutdown ?: When I restart the end task dialog appear for some open applications and I must press on end task to close all these apps so is there a way to force close all of them without displaying end task dialog ? Thanks 129866
  5. Windows 10 doesn't close apps on Shutdown or Restart

Windows 10 doesn't close apps on Shutdown or Restart: I'm in my second day of running Windows 10 on my old computer. I've noticed that when the computer comes up after a shutdown or restart, all the windows that had been open are open again, at the place where I was. As if they'd never closed. Can I fix this? The info when I...
  6. Waiting for apps to close dialog not appearing on shutdown.

Waiting for apps to close dialog not appearing on shutdown.: This problem has plagued my computer for quite a while now and I tested this with a few apps. I opened up Microsoft Word on my computer and then I selected "Shut down" from the Start Menu. When it displayed "shutting down," the dialog box saying "Closing apps and shutting...
  7. How long do I have to wait?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How long do I have to wait?: We all know that windows 10 updates can take ( in some cases) a considerable length of time to complete. There was a recent update that seemed to breeze through in the normal way - then came the time of configuration - restart - and a further configuration. Screen showed...
  8. How long to wait for notification, to install 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How long to wait for notification, to install 10?: Waiting for notification from Microsoft to install Windows Ten. Files downloaded by Microsoft, are on hard drive, for a couple of days now. Reading info, says compatible. Just how long does it take to get the "good to go" install go ahead? More info says days to...
  9. A long wait before DVD RW works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A long wait before DVD RW works: I have a PC from the year 2009 that otherwise works fine with Windows 10 except for my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S burner. When I press the tray button, the tray often either doesn't open or then opens and then closes immediately by itself. It often works after a few presses of...
  10. long wait to restart Windows 10

long wait to restart Windows 10: why doe's it take so long to restart Windows 10 46331