Windows 10: How to change jar files to open default.

Discus and support How to change jar files to open default. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I accidentally changed it so my jar files open with internet explorer and I would like to make it the default instead of any apps without a system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JackLestock, Mar 27, 2021.

1. How to change jar files to open default.

So I accidentally changed it so my jar files open with internet explorer and I would like to make it the default instead of any apps without a system reset please advise.

:)

JackLestock, Mar 27, 2021

2. How to change default programs to open .jar files in Windowws 10?

Hello Snott,

As you are facing issues with setting-up default program to access .jar files, we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the below steps to change the default program for .jar files and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select .jar file type and click on Change program.
    • Choose the program you wish to open with and click
      OK

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 27, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Mar 27, 2021
  4. How to change jar files to open default.

Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

Have you tried the second solution?

"Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.

Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.

Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.

This method offers limited options and you can only choose applications recognized by Windows 10. Fortunately, there’s another method that you can try. To change file associations, do the following:

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Control Panel from the list.

When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Locate the .jar file on the list and double-click it.

A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.

Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.

Locate the javaw.exe file. By default, the application should be located in Program Files folder. Select the application and choose it as a default for .jar files.

Optional: Some users recommend changing the parameters of javaw.exe. To do that, simply locate the file and create its shortcut. Right-click it and navigate to the Properties. Now, locate the Target file and add -jar “%1” % . Be sure to select this newly created
    shortcut in Step 7.

You can also change file association by right clicking the jar file and choosing Open With > Choose another app. After doing that, follow the steps 5 to 8 from the above"

DouglasMillar69, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

How to change jar files to open default.

1. How to change jar files to open default. - Similar Threads - change jar files

2. How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?: I accidently made Gimp the default app and I do not wish to have an app from the Microsoft Store to open .jar files with. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-default-app-to-open-jar/049319af-187f-484b-9d1b-293f7dfe0262
  3. How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?: I accidently made Gimp the default app and I do not wish to have an app from the Microsoft Store to open .jar files with. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-default-app-to-open-jar/049319af-187f-484b-9d1b-293f7dfe0262
  4. How do I get rid of the default app to open .jar files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default: I have Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion.Anyway, today I downloaded a .jar file, and whenever I double-clicked on it, it would not open automatically. When right clicking on the .jar file and selecting "open with", "JavaTM Platform SE binary" would not show up. Yes, I have...
  6. jar file not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    jar file not opening: why the hell wont my file open? i have tried literally everything [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jar-file-not-opening/867eeb37-c1d0-4185-9ad9-2f9ae95e531d
  7. .Jar files not opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .Jar files not opening: ive tried everything, jarfix CMD pathing , BAT file, javaw.exe fucking nothing. submitted by /u/jmantechno [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8afe2/jar_files_not_opening/
  8. Jar File not Opening

Jar File not Opening: So I have installed Minecraft Java 1.16.4 on my Windows 10 and I have tried to install Optifine 1.16.4 on it and I got it where the icon is the jar teacup with the smoke and every time I try to install it it says there was an error in the following sequence that has a...
  9. I cannot change my default .jar file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cannot change my default .jar file.: I am not sure how to reset my default .jar file. I have gone into settings and checked the 'choose default applications file type' and only internet explorer comes up Please Help Many Thanks RT...
  10. Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change the default application .JAR files use.: [ATTACH] Currently, I'm unable to change the default application used to start/open JAR files. The option is simply greyed out on my device, and attempting to click on it redirects me to the Microsoft Store to try and download another application. I have multiple versions...