Windows 10: How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Discus and support How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Virtual Desktops on Windows 10 are widely used by people to group and decentralize their computer deskwork. The application allows you to run more than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 29, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Virtual Desktops on Windows 10 are widely used by people to group and decentralize their computer deskwork. The application allows you to run more than one desktop interface on a single computer, for you to be able to manage multiple tasks at the same time on a single computer setup.

It is very easy to create a virtual desktop and group together related browser windows, and once you get the hang of it, it really gives a boost to your productivity. Managing multiple workflows will not seem as tedious a task as it used to. The one complaint people have had with this feature is its uncomfortable keyboard shortcut. The default keyboard shortcut to switch between virtual desktops is Ctrl + Start + Left or the Right Arrow key.

The problem with this shortcut key is that it requires you to use both your hands, which makes it unintuitive and not something that people generally prefer. Lucky for you, Windows allows you to make changes to almost everything it has to offer, including the keyboard shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. So today, we will be showing you how you can change the keyboard shortcut for Virtual Desktop on Windows 10. This process will show you how you can change the shortcut keys to switch between virtual desktops using AutoHotKey.

Change Virtual Desktop shortcut in Windows 10

The process that you have to follow is very simple and takes just a couple of minutes. Since there isn’t a built-in setting to modify the keyboard shortcut of this utility, you will have to download and install AutoHotKey. Follow the steps below after the installation is complete.

Visit your desktop screen, right-click on an empty section of the desktop, and from the New options that appear, create a text document.

How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 make-blank-doc.png

Name this file ‘Change VD shortcut.ahk’. You can name the document whatever you want but you just have to make sure that the file extension is .ahk (for AutoHotKey), and not .txt (as is the case with text files). It may be possible that this file extension isn’t appearing on your computer or that you aren’t able to change it, in which case you will have to enable file extensions on your computer. Save this file on your desktop for convenience.

Right-click on this file and select the ‘Edit Script’ option. The default editing interface for such files, Notepad, will open.

Paste the following code in the empty file. Doing so will swap the virtual desktop shortcut from ‘Ctrl’ + Start + Left/Right Arrow key to Page Down + End Keys button.

;Switch to right virtual desktop
    PgDn::
    Send, {LControl down}#{Right}{LControl up}
    return

;Switch to left virtual desktop
    End::
    Send, {LControl down}#{Left}{LControl up}
    return

How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 notepad-code.png

It is not necessary for you too to have Page Down and End as the shortcut keys to switch over from one virtual desktop to another, although it is recommended for you to select keys that are both, rarely used and lined up close to one another.

You can modify the code by changing PgDn and End in the code above with your preferred keys and it will work just fine, as long as the keys you choose are listed among the ones applicable with AutoHotKey. You can check the list by visiting autohotkey.com.

After doing so, save the file and exit Notepad.

On your desktop, you will find an AutoHotKey script. Double-click on it or right-click and further select ‘Run Script’ to run it.

How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 run-the-script.png

From there on out, the script will begin to run and you will be able to use the keyboard shortcut of your choice to navigate through virtual desktops on your Windows 10 computer.

You can verify if the script is running or not by checking your System Tray.

We hope that this article was able to help you change the keyboard shortcut for your virtual desktops.

How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 make-blank-doc.png
    This article How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 29, 2021
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, May 29, 2021
  3. ChrisTCx Win User
    Virtual Desktop Keyboard Shortcut Bug

So while using the Windows Key+Control+Left/Right Arrow keyboard shortcut that switches between your virtual desktops, I noticed an inconsistency with it.

If I use my left control key to do this keyboard shortcut, only the shortcut that uses the left arrow key works.

In other words, Left Control+Windows Key+Left Arrow works, but
    Left Control+Windows Key+Right Arrow doesn't.

However there doesn't seem to be a problem if I use the right control key instead of the left one, however that makes the keyboard shortcut awkward to press.

I am on a clean install of Windows 10, and the left control key works fine otherwise, but I was wondering whether or not this could be fixed.

ChrisTCx, May 29, 2021
  4. How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Keyboard shortcuts change

Hi Pandax,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• What shortcuts you wish to change specifically on Windows 10 including shortcuts which start with Windows logo?

• Do you use Windows 10 on Desktop/Laptop?
    Keyboard shortcuts are combinations of two or more keys that you can use to perform a task that would typically require a mouse or other pointing device. Keyboard shortcuts can make it easier to work with your PC, saving you time and effort as you
    work with Windows and other apps. You may try the below steps on Windows 10 to change the settings related to Keyboard on Windows 10 and check if it helps.

• Open Start menu and type
      Settings in the search bar.

• Click on Ease of access.

• Select Keyboard and you can change the options as you wish.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, May 29, 2021
Thema:

How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

1. How to change keyboard shortcut to switch between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - change keyboard shortcut

2. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  3. how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?: how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-keyboard-shortcut-to-switch-between/e770a10a-8228-44ae-b180-a4dd2c57a03c
  4. how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?: how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-keyboard-shortcut-to-switch-between/e770a10a-8228-44ae-b180-a4dd2c57a03c
  5. how to change keyboard shortcut to switch between multiple desktops in windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Keyboard shortcut for switching Virtual Desktops no longer working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard shortcut for switching Virtual Desktops no longer working: Anyone having the same issue, or had the same issue and managed to resolve it? Did a fresh install of windows 10 to declutter my drive and it's still not working. Shortcut was 'ctrl + win + left or right cursor'. I tried different combinations alt/shift etc. None worked....
  7. Quick switch between virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick switch between virtual desktops: There has to be a shortcut for quickly switching between desktops. I have used 3 rd party applications but they're just not stable enough. I can see why this has been a problem for the developers. Considering there can be any number of virtual desktops coming up with a...
  8. windows 10 switching between different Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 switching between different Virtual Desktops: Bug reproduce: OS: windows 10: 1803 (x64 intel 7500U 8G ram) it is easy to reproduce the bug.... When I press Task View it will show currently opened apps on this desktop (e.g. desktop 1) then I add a new virtual desktop (e.g. desktop 2) Now Task View shows I have...
  9. Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10: How to: Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 How to Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple virtual desktops. Create custom...
  10. Switching between desktops keyboard shortcut not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Switching between desktops keyboard shortcut not working: Hello, my issue is what title says. When i press ctrl+win+1/2/3/4, or ctrl+win+left/right, nothing happens. This is of course when i have numbers of desktop opened. This seems to be a common issue but no genuine fix. Perhaps here someone will know? Thanks! 78430