Windows 10: How to change Location settings in Windows 10

Discus and support How to change Location settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Most of the computers don’t have a built-in GPS. However, Microsoft has introduced “Location“, a feature that uses IP address and Wi-Fi positioning to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 3, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to change Location settings in Windows 10

Most of the computers don’t have a built-in GPS. However, Microsoft has introduced “Location“, a feature that uses IP address and Wi-Fi positioning to predict your location. It is accurate in its task and can be a great alternative to GPS. In this article, we are going to discuss everything you need to know about Location in Windows 10.

Change Location settings in Windows 10

How to change Location settings in Windows 10 change-location.png

Is Location in Windows 10 accurate?

You might wonder how good the Location feature of Windows 10 is in determining one’s location without using the GPS. There’s only one way to know if it’s credible; try checking your location.

You can use the Maps app to check your location. So, launch Maps from the Start Menu, click Yes to allow Maps to know your location, and check its accuracy. In my case, it is as accurate as any GPS.

Is it safe? Or can you turn off Location in Windows 10?

You might be wondering is it safe to give Microsoft your location. In most cases, it is safe but Microsoft is just like any other company that gives your location to any app that asks it to do so. But you can control your location by turning off Location or by forbidding certain apps to not use your location (we will discuss, how to do that in this article).

How to change Location settings in Windows 10 disable-location.jpg

Turning off Location is pretty simple, if you are on the latest build you can enable it from the Action Center. Just click on the Notification icon from the Taskbar and disable Location.

How to change Location settings in Windows 10 disable-location-from-settings.jpg

You can do the same from the Settings app in Windows 10. Launch Settings by Win + I and click Privacy > Location. Now, click Change from “Allow access to location on this device” and use the toggle to disable Location.

Allow apps to access your Location

How to change Location settings in Windows 10 allow-apps-location.jpg

Microsoft gives you full control over your location in Windows 10, you can allow and prevent certain apps from accessing your location. Let’s see how to control that.

Launch Settings by Win + I and click Privacy > Location. Now, to disable all apps from accessing your location, disable the toggle of “Allow apps to access your location“.

To disable certain apps from accessing your location, scroll down a bit and from “Choose which apps can access your precise location” disable apps that you don’t want to give permission to access your location.

Clear Location History

How to change Location settings in Windows 10 clear-locaion-history.jpg

Microsoft clears your history after every 24 hours, however, they give you the control to clear your location history manually. Doing that is very simple, just go to Location settings and click Clear from the “Location History” section. This may not delete every single trace of your location but will clear your device’s location history.

Hopefully, we have helped you in knowing about the Location feature in Windows 10.

Read next: How to Disable Geolocation in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.

How to change Location settings in Windows 10 disable-location-from-settings.jpg
    This article How to change Location settings in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 3, 2021

2. Can’t change the location.

Hi George,

I am sorry to hear that you had to encounter an internet connection issue in Windows 10 before. You can always come to us for any issues on Windows 10, we will be glad to help you.

Let us see what to do to resolve this issue on location settings. TO assist you better, please answer the questions below.

• Where did you see your location as Vermont USA? How did you tried to change the location?

• Are you getting any error messages while changing the location?

• What is the build version of the Windows? Follow the below steps to check the build version.

• Open up the run command with the
      Win key + R key combo.

• Type winver into the run command text box and hit
      OK.

• You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.

I suggest you to ON the location service and check if the location is changed to your current location. If the location service is ON, the Windows will automatically find your location once the system in connected to internet and update
    the location on the Apps, which has the permission to access to the location. Refer to the below link to ON the location service and more.

Windows 10 location service and privacy

You may also change your Country or region manually by the following steps;

• In the search box on task bar, enter Change region, then select
      Change your country or region.

• Under Country or region, select your new region.

Hope you can change your location.

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, May 3, 2021
  3. Change location

Hi,

Changing the location of your Windows 10 device is possible. Follow these steps to change the location information on Windows 10:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Click on Clock, Language, and Region and then select Region.
    • Click on Location tab.
    • Under the Home location, click the drop-down button and then choose your location.
    • Click on Apply button and then click OK.

Note: Changing the location in Windows 10 is limited to changing which country or region you are in.

Feel free to reach out to us if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, May 3, 2021
  4. Karen Her Win User

Location setting

Hi,

This issue could occur due to incorrect location settings or it would depend on your IP address. We suggest you to check the location settings of your PC, and check if it helps. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start button, and select Settings.
    • Go to Privacy, and choose Location.
    • Make sure that the Location service is On.

If issue persists, then it has something to do with your IP address. It’s because the location detected depends on the location set on your IP address.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, May 3, 2021
Thema:

1. How to change Location settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - change Location settings

2. Unable to change settings in various locations.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change settings in various locations.: Primary problem I am facing is that with a new harddrive installed in my computer with windows 10, I am unable to change settings for certain aspects. Example 1: Unable to change or connect to wifi when logged in. Can only connect at the login screen. Example 2: Unable to add...
  3. How To Set My Location in Windows 10

How To Set My Location in Windows 10: I can't get Windows 10 to save my location. There is not an 'Ok' button to save it so I have been closing the boxes but it always defaults to Washington, D.C. Could someone tell me how I could save my location?...
  4. Setting Windows 10 location

Setting Windows 10 location: I have a desktop computer without a GPS device. When I visit https://account.microsoft.com/devices/find-my-device from my device and update its location, it comes close, but the location jumps around within about a two-block radius each time I refresh. I'd like to be able to...
  5. How to change location of a folder?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change location of a folder?: During the first Windows 10 installation, I indicated location of documents folder to D: drive by mistake. All my documents, apps get there. I want to change a place where my documents are saved. How can I change it?...
  6. How to set (change) download location for MS Store?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set (change) download location for MS Store?: I have purchased a game but its trying to download to a full drive. I have another drive with loads of space. How do I redirect it please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-change-download-location-for-ms-store/b238ba65-6002-4061-a2c2-53dcf4dedf09"
  7. How to change install location of windows 10 apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change install location of windows 10 apps?: Hi guys, I can only save it to 1 place which is D:\ but I want to save it in D:\Program Files (x86). Every time I move the folder or rename it, it makes another. Is there a way around this? Help me asap.......
  8. Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC: How to: Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC How to Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC Some apps need to know when youre in a specific location to work correctly. For instance, if youve asked an app to remind you to buy bread...
  9. Change PC Settings Based on Location

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PC Settings Based on Location: I'm curious if it is possible to change Windows settings based on my laptop's location. What I would like is a few settings (GPOs) to change based on whether I am at home vs anywhere else. I'm guessing that detecting the wireless/wired network I'm connected to, or looking...
  10. How To Change Program Files Location In Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Change Program Files Location In Windows 10: i am kind of confuse with windows 10 on how to change Program Files Location. i know in windows 7 and windows 8 all i had to do is go to ''HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion'' and change ProgramFilesDir to the hard driver letter to the on that i...