Windows 10: How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE)

Discus and support How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE) in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; As the header asks, anyone cracked how to get MAILTO: to look for a programme in the list rather than an App? God I hate what MS have done to this... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ex_Brit, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ex_Brit Win User

How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE)

As the header asks, anyone cracked how to get MAILTO: to look for a programme in the list rather than an App?
    God I hate what MS have done to this edition of Windows.
    I found the following online and using the first batch file I managed to at least get .eml extension to associate with a 3rd party program (OEClassic in my case).
    But after using the 2nd batch file I can't get the MAILTO Protocol to look for a 3rd party programme even though the old interface does display OK.
    Can anyone guide me on this?

:)

Ex_Brit, Jan 2, 2018
  2. JonasÄng Win User

Protocol and change proramms Windows 10 (uTorrent)

I was wondering why i cant se my uTorrent program in in the list when changing the protocols ?

As in changing the default programs we have the options of "More apps" and then after that "Look for an another app on this pc" option. How come that we/i dont have the option in protocols ?

Cant only find two why of changing it, thru "start -> settings -> system -> default apps -> choose default apps by protocols"

Or "control panel -> default programs -> associate a file or protocols whit a program"

Both ways do not give of a manual direction to what program i want to use.

Magnet links for example, my uTorrent do not show up so i want to point to it or email "Mailto" protocol.

Now i am using e-mail app so "Mailto" protocol is not an issue for me. Tho a good example.

If i now need to go int to the regedit directory to fix this it should be part of next update

Grump Gamer

Jonas

JonasÄng, Jan 2, 2018
  3. verersatz Win User
    Win 10 changing default email app to Chrome

Hi BJ, thanks for your reply. About the different file types, I'm not sure how that would apply in this case. I just had to reset my default email program back to Thunderbird once again. I checked the default apps by protocol and the mailto protocol is also
    set to Thunderbird. I'm not sure what other file types or protocols would need changing here.

I tried a clean boot and the default app was once again set back to Chrome.

verersatz, Jan 2, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

If it's a mail client, paste C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram into a Run box and set the client to run all defaults:

How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE) [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 2, 2018
  5. Ex_Brit Win User
    Unfortunately it isn't listed.

Ex_Brit, Jan 2, 2018
  6. Edwin New Member
    Try C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageFileAssoc and set the protocol there.

Edwin, Jan 2, 2018
  7. Ex_Brit Win User
    This is what I get and I have a feeling it maybe because OEClassic is a 32-bit programme...or is that not important?

Ex_Brit, Jan 2, 2018
  8. Edwin New Member

Can you not scroll down on that dialog box to "More apps" or, further yet, "Look for another app on this PC"?

Edwin, Jan 2, 2018
  9. Ex_Brit Win User
    No unfortunately, that's all that's offered. Strangely enough near the top of the list I easily changed .eml to be associated with OEClassic using a batch file to open the old dialog but the MAILTO: is proving to be a PITA as is the actual Default Program. I've emailed the software developer for help.

Ex_Brit, Jan 2, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    I had a similar problem. I wanted to use the Firefox browser and my webmail account for MAILTO. Firefox wasn't available to select, not because Firefox wasn't capable, but because its Setup hadn't declared Firefox to be capable of mailto in its registry settings. I added the relevant key and now can select and use Firefox/webmail. See my post #29 in this thread...

Mailto: in Browsers not working

11. Ex_Brit Win User
    I can use mailto in Firefox and choose OEClassic, that's fixed but I still can't select it for the OS's MAILTO Protocol. It just doesn't offer any external programme at all except Outlook and/or GMail and those only because they're apps. It won't allow me to browse my Programs list.

Ex_Brit, Jan 3, 2018
  12. Edwin New Member
    That's inconceivable! Do you have that "Only install Apps from the Store" thing going on in Settings?

Edwin, Jan 3, 2018
  13. Ex_Brit Win User

It says "Install Apps from anywhere" in Apps and Features

Ex_Brit, Jan 3, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    No, it only lists those apps that specifically declare in the registry that they have the capability to handle the MAILTO protocol. I got Firefox to appear in my list by adding an appropriate registry entry to say that it did. You may well be able to add a similar registry entry for OEClassic. Failing that, you may be able to use Firefox to handle MAILTO as it would then act as a stepping stone on the way to your OEClassic.

From the link I gave earlier....

15. Ex_Brit Win User
    Yes, that would at least work. But it would be awkward and defeats the whole object of that shortcut. I'll continue digging and thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions thus far.

Ex_Brit, Jan 3, 2018
Thema:

1. How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE) - Similar Threads - Change MAILTO Protocol

2. How to change the FTP default protocol to windows explore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the FTP default protocol to windows explore?: Since all browsers have removed ftp url support I have been using IE as my default protocol. In June Microsoft will be removing IE from windows, so I wanted to just change the default protocol app to windows explore but I can't windows 10 does not consider explore an App what...
  3. thunderbird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    thunderbird: I can't get the reply and the other one's up on my computer. Jim Bates 860-361-6805 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thunderbird/50269599-4041-4eb1-8178-0befe3763d4d
  4. Using Thunderbird

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Thunderbird: Hi, hope it's ok to ask here .... the Mozilla Forum is a right PITA, assuming there is one after looking for ages! The Help tells you BS.. e.g. I want to enter multiple recipients to an email message and it says Type a recipient directly into the address field, then press...
  5. How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?: I use an application by the name of Outlook Express Classic which is very much like the Outlook Express program that was discontinued by Microsoft. I want this to be my only email client program. I was able to make it my default App for eml files, but I am unable to make it...
  6. How to change default Batch Rename protocols?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change default Batch Rename protocols?: For my job, I do a large amount of saving documents from one location to another, and renaming sequential files. How do I get the default batch rename feature to change from adding a (1), (2), (3), etc... at the end of the file, and instead change it to -1,-2,-3, etc...? Eg,...
  7. Need to change to an app for the MAILTO protocol, a different client, that is on my...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to change to an app for the MAILTO protocol, a different client, that is on my...: How can I change to an app for the MAILTO protocol, a different client, that is on my computer, but not on theMICROSOFT STORE........I was always able to simply select my APP from MY PC, but now there is no option to do this, only the suggestion order toSEARCH THE MICROSOFT...
  8. Mailto: in Browsers not working

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto: in Browsers not working: Good Day, I have recently upgrade to windows 10 and the mailto: links dont work anymore. Running outlook 2013. When I go to a webpage with a clickable email it no longer opens outlook new message. I tried to check the default programs, made sure that outlook is the default...
  9. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308
  10. Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10: I would like to change the default MAILTO Protocol in Windows 10 to a program of my choice but it won't let me choose anything other than Thunderbird or Microsoft Mail. How do I select a specific program (in my case it is OEClassic). Thanks. 9971