Windows 10: How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE)

Discus and support How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE) in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Yes, that would at least work. But it would be awkward and defeats the whole object of that shortcut. I'll continue digging and thanks everyone for the... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ex_Brit, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Bree New Member

How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE)

Try digging here....

StackOverflow: Register Windows program with the mailto protocol programmatically

...or here.

SuperUser: How do I add new applications to the “Set Default Programs” list in Windows Vista/7?

The bottom line is that the OE Classic installer did not register OE Classic as capable of handling the MAILTO protocol (even though it can). You can either try the latest release to see if it's been fixed, pester OE CLassic themselves to fix this omission, or (as I did for Firefox) work out the registry entries that should have been included (but weren't).

Anyone using OE Classic for email?

2. Ex_Brit Win User

Yes, I'm leery about going too deeply into registry editing. As that thread is a year old they should have figured it by now surely. I do have the latest free version. The only difference with paid version is multiple identities and some minor frills, free upgrades for 3 years, but the software is basically the same. I'll wait to see what their support says. They're in Bosnia so am expecting some delay.
    Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions, much appreciated.

Ex_Brit, Jan 3, 2018
  3. Edwin New Member
    I'm gonna throw a shameless plug in here for Mailbird,
    it's a great client with lots of features.
    Get 5 of your friends to install it with any account and you've got a lifetime key!

How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE) [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Yes, the Firefox one was easy to work out as I found the entry that Chrome used and used it as a template.

At least you could use the Firefox 'springboard' as a (clunky) workaround for now until the authors get around to fixing it. Apparently, from the next post in that thread...

5. Ex_Brit Win User
    That "a future version" can mean next millennium of course.
    LOL

Ex_Brit, Jan 3, 2018
  6. Ex_Brit Win User
    I received an answer from OEClassic support stating it's coming.....whenever.
    He acknowledges the program isn't registering properly and therefore no "Make OEClassic the Default Browser" and from that, no Mailto: either.
    But he provided no technical way of forcing it.......I give him 5 stars for a prompt answer.

Ex_Brit, Jan 3, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Thanks for that update. At least we now know the situation. The Firefox 'jump-start' may be a tolerable workaround until '....whenever'.

8. Ex_Brit Win User

Exactly, thanks. *Smile

Ex_Brit, Jan 3, 2018
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

even if you say keep using this app the next time in outlook you get one of those mailto url's it asks the same question again !!!! in fact every time.

I'm beginning to start not liking this version of Windows but I really can't see myself going back to W7.

I tend now to use Linux a lot but some things still need Windows so I can't stop running Windows -- and going the Mac route isn't really an option either.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 3, 2018
  10. Ex_Brit Win User
    You know it's just as if MS have made software they don't have an App for as second-class and not fit for anything, which is truly amazing.
    If I can make OEClassic my default handler for .eml files, why can't I make it my default mailto programme?
    Apart from the .eml handling, any other default can only be changed to an App, or Outlook (of course).
    That defies logic. @Brink - do you have any idea why that ability was removed?

Ex_Brit, Jan 8, 2018
  11. Edwin New Member
    I can't do this thing on W7 either!
    I think there's something very wrong with the OEClassic Installer.
    The package directory has virtually no dll's in it! Including mapi.dll!

Edwin, Jan 8, 2018
  12. Ex_Brit Win User
    How weird. But even if the software has no ability to make itself the default, one should be able to do it in Windows Control Panel.
    OEClassic only does POP/SMTP so many files one normally would see are missing. At least I think that's what I read in their help files.
    I think under the guise of making Windows a safer environment MS has gone overboard and literally castrated their OS, well at least in Windows 10 they have.
    I wish Bill Gates would come back and make the company great again. He knew that not every MS customer was a budding millionaire and able to replace equipment and operating systems at the same rate they had birthdays.

Ex_Brit, Jan 8, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Peter @Ex_Brit,

I installed OE Classic to have a play with it, and I can only assume that it may not properly register itself with Windows since it isn't listed in "Set defaults by app" in Settings.

Brink, Jan 8, 2018
  14. Ex_Brit Win User
    Yes it needs more work and the developer in Bosnia, whilst quick to respond to requests admits he has to work hard to intro more friendly integration into an OS
    The only place I can find it is in setting the default application for .eml handling, that alone allows the use of a Non-App software.
    I couldn't figure out why I couldn't set it elsewhere and I guess that's the fault of the software.
    I don't like the limitations the new Metro settings have.

Ex_Brit, Jan 8, 2018
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Agreed. I don't like only having a "Look for an app in the Store" option for some of these areas.

Brink, Jan 8, 2018
Thema:

1. How To Change MAILTO: Protocol To OEClassic or Thunderbird? (W10CE) - Similar Threads - Change MAILTO Protocol

2. How to change the FTP default protocol to windows explore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the FTP default protocol to windows explore?: Since all browsers have removed ftp url support I have been using IE as my default protocol. In June Microsoft will be removing IE from windows, so I wanted to just change the default protocol app to windows explore but I can't windows 10 does not consider explore an App what...
  3. thunderbird

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    thunderbird: I can't get the reply and the other one's up on my computer. Jim Bates 860-361-6805 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thunderbird/50269599-4041-4eb1-8178-0befe3763d4d
  4. Using Thunderbird

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Thunderbird: Hi, hope it's ok to ask here .... the Mozilla Forum is a right PITA, assuming there is one after looking for ages! The Help tells you BS.. e.g. I want to enter multiple recipients to an email message and it says Type a recipient directly into the address field, then press...
  5. How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How change default MailTo: to an app not listed?: I use an application by the name of Outlook Express Classic which is very much like the Outlook Express program that was discontinued by Microsoft. I want this to be my only email client program. I was able to make it my default App for eml files, but I am unable to make it...
  6. How to change default Batch Rename protocols?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change default Batch Rename protocols?: For my job, I do a large amount of saving documents from one location to another, and renaming sequential files. How do I get the default batch rename feature to change from adding a (1), (2), (3), etc... at the end of the file, and instead change it to -1,-2,-3, etc...? Eg,...
  7. Need to change to an app for the MAILTO protocol, a different client, that is on my...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to change to an app for the MAILTO protocol, a different client, that is on my...: How can I change to an app for the MAILTO protocol, a different client, that is on my computer, but not on theMICROSOFT STORE........I was always able to simply select my APP from MY PC, but now there is no option to do this, only the suggestion order toSEARCH THE MICROSOFT...
  8. Mailto: in Browsers not working

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto: in Browsers not working: Good Day, I have recently upgrade to windows 10 and the mailto: links dont work anymore. Running outlook 2013. When I go to a webpage with a clickable email it no longer opens outlook new message. I tried to check the default programs, made sure that outlook is the default...
  9. Mailto Links

in Browsers and Email
    Mailto Links: Win 10 Ms Edge (and Chrome) How do I make mailto links in websites point to Gmail? Currently every time I click a mailto it gives a choice of Gmail or Outlook. I wish it default to Gmail, and if possible not the app but the program. 20308
  10. Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10: I would like to change the default MAILTO Protocol in Windows 10 to a program of my choice but it won't let me choose anything other than Thunderbird or Microsoft Mail. How do I select a specific program (in my case it is OEClassic). Thanks. 9971

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot