Windows 10: How to change my backup destination

Discus and support How to change my backup destination in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I received a message on my PC that my File History Drive needed to be reconnected. When I followed the directions, I discovered that I no longer have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PenneDuke, Jul 10, 2019.

1. PenneDuke Win User

How to change my backup destination

I received a message on my PC that my File History Drive needed to be reconnected. When I followed the directions, I discovered that I no longer have that external drive (it got fried!) and I now have another external hard drive. How do I make it my new backup destination?

:)

PenneDuke, Jul 10, 2019

2. Changing Destination Drive for Backup in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type in Backup and Restore.
    • Under Backup or restore your files select set up backup.
    • Once the set up starts you'll get an option to choose the destination drive.
    • And then follow the onscreen instructions.

For additional information refer to the link below and check if this helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/backup-and-restore-in-windows-10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jul 10, 2019
  3. EricDyer Win User
    Changing Destination Drive for Backup in Windows 10

Hello, trying to change the destination drive for backups in Windows 10. I can't seem to find a way to do it - the only thing I even see offered for backups is to restore a previous Windows 7 backup. Where did that functionality go, and how do I access
    it?

EricDyer, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Meghana C Win User

issue with backup options Windows 10

Hi David,

I will certainly help with the issue you are facing with backup option.

To assist you better, kindly provide the information:

• How exactly are you trying to perform back up? Is it from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or File History?

• Which drive have you selected to back up? Is it an external drive or a network drive or a local drive of the system?

• When you say 'only allows me to do another backup with the same options', which options are you referring to?

• Are you unable to select a different drive for a backup from the backup destination list?
    If you are using a Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option then, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Type backup and restore in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on setup backup option.

• Click on refresh button to check if the drives are visible in the
      backup destination list.

• Choose the drive which you want to back up and click on
      next.
    If you are trying to use file history I suggest you to un-plug it and restart your computer. Re-plug the external drive and check if the file history options are available.

Please get back to us with the information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

1. How to change my backup destination - Similar Threads - change backup destination

2. I Can't Change My Destination For Documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Can't Change My Destination For Documents.: I uninstalled Onedrive but still I have the folder destination for my Documents and Pictures folder. It shows right now as the default "C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Documents"When I try to remove the Onedrive in the location setting, it says "Can't move the folder because there is...
  3. I Can't Change My Destination For Documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Can't Change My Destination For Documents.: I uninstalled Onedrive but still I have the folder destination for my Documents and Pictures folder. It shows right now as the default "C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Documents"When I try to remove the Onedrive in the location setting, it says "Can't move the folder because there is...
  4. How do I change destination for pictures in download?

How do I change destination for pictures in download?: Hi, I'm trying to change the settings for downloading photos from a friend because the destination is nowmy sketchbook file and the photos don't always open with that. How can I change my destination to All Files?Every time I try to download a picture it automatacally...
  5. How do I change destination for pictures in download?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change destination for pictures in download?: Hi, I'm trying to change the settings for downloading photos from a friend because the destination is nowmy sketchbook file and the photos don't always open with that. How can I change my destination to All Files?Every time I try to download a picture it automatacally...
  6. photo import destination changed

photo import destination changed: Before Dec 2020 started I was able to import pictures and the app would set up a new file in the YYY-MM-DD format for the destination. Now I have to create a new file and each time I import photos, I need to change the destination to the file. Why has this changed? It is a...
  7. Changed destination drive for Windows 10 backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changed destination drive for Windows 10 backup: Hi, I would like to change the destination drive for my Windows 10 backup to a different drive. Please tell me if that is possible, and if so, how it can be done. Thank you very much. Rick...
  8. Unable to change the import destination in photos

Unable to change the import destination in photos: Why am I unable to change the destination folder when I try to import photo's from my camera. Every time I try, the app just disappears. I have to import to the folder that is already in the app and then move the pictures. This never used to happen....
  9. File History - can't change the backup destination G - new passport is D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History - can't change the backup destination G - new passport is D: I'm trying to do a backup of my new Thinkpad on a new Passport but can't change the destination G on the program.....Win 10 has designated the D for this necessary project....
  10. Cannot Change Destination of Apps

Cannot Change Destination of Apps: Currently I cannot change the destination of new apps that I download on to my computer. The box that says "New apps will save to" is greyed out. This is a brand new computer. Please help! 43377