Windows 10: How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10.

Discus and support How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm downsizing from an ATX to a mini ITX. Almost all of the components in my ATX build are going to be reused, except for the motherboard (had to get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/king4bears, Oct 28, 2020.

1. How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10.

I'm downsizing from an ATX to a mini ITX. Almost all of the components in my ATX build are going to be reused, except for the motherboard (had to get a smaller one).

I originally assumed I could just transfer my C: drive over to the new motherboard and it would boot up as if nothing had changed. I guess that would have been too easy.

Anyway, I can't find a single guide online on how to replace a motherboard and not have to reinstall or change anything. I don't even know if it's possible. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

submitted by /u/king4bears
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/king4bears, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7!

it is quite possible. i've done it dozens of times.

I dont really recommend it however, better to have a fresh install of windows so you dont get all sorts of leftover junk (old drivers etc)

Mussels, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7!

Don't even need to go through all those steps. Once you got into safe mode,windows 7 will rebuild it's drivers automatically. Boot normally and then install chipset drivers if not already in.

Edit:
    One thing though, it gets hectic with RAID and you will NEED to reinstall/rebuild the array. Only circumstance where you will find driver conflicts.

Edit2:

See edit 1 peet.

JrRacinFan, Oct 28, 2020
  4. jpierce55 Win User

How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10.

Reinstall Windows?

You don't need to reinstall windows. Go to the device manager and remove uninstall the processor and motherboard drivers listed. When you start the system back up you should be able to re-install the new ones. I just changed my mobo/processor Friday, everything is fine.

BTW I have seen some reviews that state practically no difference in using more than 2gb of ram.

jpierce55, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10.

1. How to change my motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10. - Similar Threads - change motherboard without

2. How to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change motherboard and a windows 10 reinstallation?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change motherboard and a windows 10 reinstallation?: HiI've used all the help and trouble shooting there is online and locally, but it doesn't help.Thank you in advance.Kind regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reactivate-windows-10-after-hardware-change/50d1ffcd-dbf1-477c-9f6f-6a6b2ed28ed0
  3. How to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change motherboard and a windows 10 reinstallation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change motherboard and a windows 10 reinstallation?: HiI've used all the help and trouble shooting there is online and locally, but it doesn't help.Thank you in advance.Kind regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reactivate-windows-10-after-hardware-change/50d1ffcd-dbf1-477c-9f6f-6a6b2ed28ed0
  4. How to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change motherboard and a windows 10 reinstallation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  6. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10: Hello! I've recently ran into an issue with my motherboard as it got shorted due to a stupid mistake on my part. The rest of my components apart from a hard drive are in working condition, so I wish to only replace the motherboard. I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD. My...
  7. Replacing a motherboard without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. windows reinstallation after a motherboard change

windows reinstallation after a motherboard change: Actually I have two PCs Built To Order with Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 Professional (NON OEM). As I intend to replace the motherboards, I will need to reinstall windows. I want to to reuse the same OS licenses. How can I do that? In the same order, I would like also...
  9. How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?

How to upgrade motherboard and CPU without reinstalling Windows 10?: I would like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU of my computer, which runs Windows 10. However, I would prefer to avoid reinstalling the operating system. The OS is installed to an M.2 NVMe drive on an AM3+ socket motherboard, and I will be upgrading to an AM4 socket...
  10. How to change Legacy to UEFI without reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Legacy to UEFI without reinstalling Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Some new generation motherboards for PCs and Laptops bring in support for both UEFI or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface as well as BIOS or Basic Input Output System. The main advantage of UEFI over the traditional BIOS is the fact that UEFI supports a...