Windows 10: How to change name and password of network connection?

Discus and support How to change name and password of network connection? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just set up the "o2 HomeBox 6641". How can one change the name of the network connection: [img] [img] "WiFi" can be changed /... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bingus, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Bingus Win User

How to change name and password of network connection?

I have just set up the "o2 HomeBox 6641".

How can one change the name of the network connection:

How to change name and password of network connection? [​IMG]

"WiFi" can be changed / renamed, but "o2-WLAN" cannot, I would like to rename it.

How / where can I change the WPA2 key, the password for the Internet connection?

And, do I need a password - there is no one else using the Notebook - to enter the program / GUI in the browser to change settings for the router?

:)

Bingus, Mar 7, 2016

2. How to change the name of connections in network and sharing center.

GOTO:

Network and Sharing Center / Change adapter settings

Right-Click on the Network Connection you wish to rename and select "RENAME" and your done

gtscomputer, Mar 7, 2016
  3. How to change the name of connections in network and sharing center.

Hi,

I'm curious why you would agree with the answer when the answer doesn't address the question. I am the person asking the question. This reply doesn't change the issue I want to change.

I believe I will have to find and delete the prior names of connections so that I can name the connection without getting an error message that a connection exists with that name.

I believe I have to use a dos command line to do it. I just don't remember how to do it.

Gilbertramirezpt, Mar 7, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It can only be done in the Wireless settings on the Gateway or Access Point. If the Gateway requires a password and you do not have it, that means that you need to leave alone.

bro67, Mar 7, 2016
  5. Bingus Win User
    Thank you very much.

Sorry, I am not quite sure what that means.

Bingus, Mar 7, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It means that if O2 did not give you the password to go in and change settings, you need to contact them. They do the password lock to keep users from changing settings. If you are seeing multiple O2 Wireless Access Points, contact O2 about it and have them either give you the password and username or do a websearch, which you need to remember that it may be outdated.

bro67, Mar 8, 2016
  7. Bingus Win User
    Very sorry for my bad expression, I meant, should one use, create, set a password for that GUI? Is it necessary to use a password there? I am the only person using my Notebook. Can one access that GUI form the Internet without using a password.
    I just could reset the router to create a new password, respectively I can access the program without any password.

How can one change the name of the network connection?

Bingus, Mar 8, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

You do not create anything. The Username and password to access the settings on the Gateway is saved on it

If O2 did not give you that information, that is because they only want their techs to access those settings.

This has nothing to do with your computer, Windows has nothing to do with changing the settings for the WiFi SSID and Passphrase. The WiFi SSID and Passphrase is saved on the gateway and can only be accessed with the proper username and password.

bro67, Mar 8, 2016
  9. Bingus Win User
    Thank you.

I am not quite sure to understand.

Actually I have created the password to access the GUI. But I am wondering, whether I need it.

I have all the information I need according to the connection, I would say.

Suppose, I have the proper username and password, how could I change the name of the network connection and the password?

Bingus, Mar 8, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    There is nothing not to understand. I really cannot state it any different then I already have.

bro67, Mar 8, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    You cannot just create a password to access the Administration part od the O2 Gateway. The password and username are saved in the gateway, as set by the manufacturer. You cannot change the username and password for the administration part of the gateway, unless you know the current one.

Windows and your computer have nothing to do with how the gateway is accessed.

Call O2 and explain what you are wanting to do, since this is the third time I have explained about the administration section on the gateway, but it may be how my post is being translated in your preferred language that is causing problems.

bro67, Mar 8, 2016
  12. Bingus Win User
    Alright, thank you very much

Bingus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change name and password of network connection? - Similar Threads - change name password

2. Change network name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change network name: Change network name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f3291063-71dc-458f-ac00-680975aa336f
  3. Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change: Dear Microsoft Community,How can I modify the Name & Description for some select Network Connections & Hardware, please?Nume: Connexion au réseau local* 1Descriere: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual AdapterAdresă fizică MAC: f4:7b:09:6e:ae:34Stare: NefuncționalăUnitate de...
  4. Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Connections & Hardware - Name & Description Change: Dear Microsoft Community,How can I modify the Name & Description for some select Network Connections & Hardware, please?Nume: Connexion au réseau local* 1Descriere: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual AdapterAdresă fizică MAC: f4:7b:09:6e:ae:34Stare: NefuncționalăUnitate de...
  5. change network name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change network name: I couldn't change my network name,only changed in profile name by regedit.but, does not changed network and sharing centre permanently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f03651ba-256f-450f-a4ae-416fd1176ca6
  6. How to change router name and password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change router name and password: Hi! Someone tried to get into my computer's Bluetooth this morning and I'm really creeped out. The name of the device is "View 1". It's made me think there might be cameras here in my new apartment. I'd like to change my router information as it's set to default from...
  7. network name and/or password

network name and/or password: How do I change network name and/or password? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-name-andor-password/f2345320-4ba5-437d-9a21-e027dfa28544
  8. HOW TO CHANGE MY NETWORK NAME

HOW TO CHANGE MY NETWORK NAME: MY NETWORK HAS A WEAK NAME AND PW HOW DO I CHANGE IT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-my-network-name/f2d432db-80ee-42bc-a2e9-0b811e04bb3a
  9. CHANGING NETWORK NAME AND PASSWORD

CHANGING NETWORK NAME AND PASSWORD: How do I change the wifi network name and password on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-name-and-password/7c6a0bf2-5836-4817-81ca-df1c5ade03b7
  10. How do I change my network connection's name

How do I change my network connection's name: How do I change the network connection name?/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-do-i-change-my-network-connections-name/1e219d11-3cd1-4a96-9ade-a4b306a3d743