Windows 10: How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11

Discus and support How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Network adapter priorities are used by the Windows 11 device to determine the network adapter that is used to establish network and Internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 9, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11

Network adapter priorities are used by the Windows 11 device to determine the network adapter that is used to establish network and Internet connections. If a device has multiple network adapters, say multiple networking cards, VPNS, virtual machines, or a network card and a Wi-Fi module, it may not be clear immediately which it will use to connect to a network or the Internet.

Good news is that you can set the network adapter priority manually; this is useful in some cases, including to make sure that a specific adapter is prioritized all the time, or to troubleshoot connection issues.

Check out our guide on changing Windows 10 network adapter priorities here.

Change Network Adapter Priorities in Windows 11

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 powershell-network-adapter-priorities.png

One of the first things that you may want to do is check current priorities of all networking adapters.

1. Select Start.
    2. Type Powershell.
    3. Select "run as administrator".
    4. Run the command Get-NetIPinterface in the PowerShell window.

The command returns all network adapters and their interface index numbers plus other information, e.g. the connection state.

The index number, displayed in the first column, is unique for each network adapter. The InterfaceMetric value defines the priority. Lower InterfaceMetric numbers are prioritized over larger numbers.

Tip: the command supports several parameters to customize the query. Some interesting options include:

• Get-NetIPInterface -AddressFamily IPv6 -- displays only IPv6 network adapters.
    • Get-NetIPInterface | Format-Table -- formats the table.
    • Get-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex 12 -- displays information about the network adapter with the index 12.

All that is required now is to set the values according to the requirements.

The base command for that is Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "XX" -InterfaceMetric "YY".

• InterfaceIndex refers to the current ifIndex of the network adapter.
    • InterfaceMetric sets the new priority of the network adapter.

Here is an example:

• Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex "5" -InterfaceMetric "50"

This changes the priority of the network adapter with the interface index 5 to 50. Note that there is no confirmation message.

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 change-network-adapter-priorities-windows-11-powershell.png

Tip: the command is very powerful, as it supports parameters to change certain network adapter specific attributes, e.g. add -Dhcp Disabled to disable DHCP for the specified adapter.

Once you are done, run the Get command again to make sure that the changes were set correctly.

PowerShell offers a quick and easy option to change network adapter priorities. You may alternatively use the network connections control panel applet to modify the priorities.

Change network adapter priorities in Network Connections

You may change network adapter priorities using the network connections control panel applet. It does not provide as good of an overview as the PowerShell option, but some users may prefer the graphical user interface over the command line option.

You may still want to run the PowerShell command that lists all network adapters and their priority, as you won't get an overview in the Network Connections applet.

Step 1: Open the Network Connections control panel applet

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 ncpa-cpl.png

Select Start. Type ncpa.cpl and run the command; this opens the Network Connections control panel applet. Tip: check out our full list of commands to open Control Panel applets on Windows.

Step 2: Open the Properties of the network adapter.

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 change-network-priorities.png

Right-click on the network adapter that you want to change the priority for, and select properties from the context menu that opens.

Step 3: Open the Properties of the IPv4 or IPv6 protocol

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 ipv4-properties.png

Locate Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and select the properties button. If you want to change the priority for both, repeat the process multiple times.

Step 4: Open the Advanced properties of the protocol.

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 network-advanced.png

Select the Advanced button on the next screen that opens.

Step 5: Change the priority of the adapter

How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 interface-metric.png

The Interface metric value defines the priority of the adapter. Change it to the desired priority and select OK to complete the process.

Addendum

Useful Microsoft Docs pages:

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 9, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Hello Denis, How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 :)

The command in step 2 of Option Two should show your wireless networks listed in priority order. Top of the list is higher.

Brink, Nov 9, 2021
  3. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Nov 9, 2021
  4. wishbon3 Win User

Windows 10 Tunngle Network Adapter priority cannot be changed

Yes this is a windows 10 issue, the initial post made the mistake of stating it was solely Tunngle. There is another thread on this in which all users are IGNORED. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t/e9df566a-4dfe-4d3e-ae6e-623f39e31661?page=2

This applies to any network adapter as Windows 10 will NOT save adapter priority when changed. Go ahead and test it yourself. Change the priority, go back to see the changes you made and wala, it will revert back to what it was.

PLEASE stop treating this as a solely 3rd party issue, as it is frankly annoying.

Thanks

wishbon3, Nov 9, 2021
Thema:

1. How to change network adapter priorities on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - change network adapter

2. Setting network adapter priority no longer works in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting network adapter priority no longer works in Windows 11: I have two network adapters in a windows 11 v2621.2428 computer: "Ethernet" and "Ethernet 2" the first one is a Killer Ethernet controller, and the second a USB plug-in. "Ethernet 2" is a backup connection, has limited data, so by default when it's working I only want to use...
  3. Setting network adapter priority no longer works in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting network adapter priority no longer works in Windows 11: I have two network adapters in a windows 11 v2621.2428 computer: "Ethernet" and "Ethernet 2" the first one is a Killer Ethernet controller, and the second a USB plug-in. "Ethernet 2" is a backup connection, has limited data, so by default when it's working I only want to use...
  4. network adapter can save priority setting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    network adapter can save priority setting.: I change my Ethernet priority to 9999 and Wifi priority to 1. it still take me to use ethernet connections. I want to use Wifi connections even my pc plug directly to wired connection....
  5. network adapter can save priority setting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    network adapter can save priority setting.: I change my Ethernet priority to 9999 and Wifi priority to 1. it still take me to use ethernet connections. I want to use Wifi connections even my pc plug directly to wired connection....
  6. How to Change the order of the Network Adapters in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Change the order of the Network Adapters in Windows 11: I wanna set wifi for internet by default rather than ethernet.I reference to these...
  7. How to Change the order of the Network Adapters in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Change the order of the Network Adapters in Windows 11: I wanna set wifi for internet by default rather than ethernet.I reference to these...
  8. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?: All the advice on line is telling me about advanced options and hitting the alt key when clicking it to give priority to a specific connectivity option. I don't see advanced options. I'm running Windows 10 Pro. A walk through would be helpful with screen shots where this...
  9. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change network connection priority in Windows 10: I want to change the priority of the network connection in Windows 10 so that they follow a specific order. When I have multiple network connections, I want to change the priority so the network I prefer will be the first one to use. I tried to follow the tutorial here,...
  10. Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10: How to: Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 How to Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 A network connection is a set of information that enables your computer to connect to the Internet, a network, or another computer. When...