Windows 10: How to change network names on Windows 11

Discus and support How to change network names on Windows 11 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 11 names networks automatically when they are discovered for the first time. Ethernet connections that connect using cables get generic network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 25, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to change network names on Windows 11

Windows 11 names networks automatically when they are discovered for the first time. Ethernet connections that connect using cables get generic network names, such as Network 4, which may be problematic for identification. Wireless networks get the SSID as the name by default; sometimes, you may want to change that name as well to improve identification or change a name that you may consider inappropriate.

Windows 11 includes options to change network names. Everything that is required to do that is available already, installation of software programs or applications is not required.

This guide provides you with the means to change network names on Windows 11 using different methods. Pick the one that you prefer or need to use, if you are in a corporate environment.

Tip: check out our network name changing guide for Windows 10 here.

Change the network name on Windows 11

The very first thing that you need to do is make sure you have the current name of the network adapter that you want to change.

Network names in Settings

How to change network names on Windows 11 network-name-windows-11.png

One option that you have is to use the Settings application for that.

1. Select Start > Settings.
    2. Open Network & Internet.
    3. Open Ethernet or Wi-fi depending on the network name that you want to change.
    4. The name is displayed at the top (see screenshot above).
    Network names in Control Panel

How to change network names on Windows 11 network-name-windows-11-control-panel.png

Alternatively, you may also open the classic Control Panel and look up the information using it.

• Open Start.
    • Type Control Panel and open the result.
    • Go to Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
    • Windows 11 displays the active networks on the page that opens, including their names.
    Changing the name of a network in Windows 11

Windows 11 administrators have several options when it comes to changing the name of a network:

1. Edit the network name in the Registry.
    2. Edit network names using Local Security Policy.
    Edit the network name in the Registry

How to change network names on Windows 11 change-network-profile-name-windows-11.png

The Registry option is not as straightforward as the PowerShell option. Still, it may be used in scripts and has its uses because of that.

1. Open the Start Menu of the device.
    2. Type regedit.exe and select the "run as administrator" option to load the Windows 11 Registry Editor.
    3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
    4. Expand the profiles listing.
    5. You need to go through each now to find the profile with the correct name.
    6. Double-click on ProfileName when you have found the right profile and type the new name that you want to assign to it.

The change is active immediately, but only on the device. Repeat the process for other profiles that you want to change the name of.

Change profile names using Local Security Policy

How to change network names on Windows 11 network-list-manager-secpol.png

Please note that Local Security Policy is only available in professional and Enterprise editions of Windows 11.

1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Type secpol.msc to open Local Security Policy on the device. You can check out our master list of Windows msc files here.
    3. Activate Network List Manager Policies.
    4. Double-click on the network that you want to change the name of.
    5. Type the new name under Name on the window that opens.
    6. Click ok.
    Changing Connection names in Windows 11

Using PowerShell

How to change network names on Windows 11 powershell-network-names.png

You may run a single command to list the connection status of all network adapters.

1. Select Start.
    2. Type PowerShell and run Windows PowerShell.
    3. Run the command netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces.

Windows 11 lists all connections, including the current names of the adapters.

Edit connection names in PowerShell

How to change network names on Windows 11 rename-network-adapter-windows-11.png

One of the best options that administrators have is to edit the name of a connection using PowerShell. Best, because it requires just a single command to do so.

Here is how it works:

1. Open Start.
    2. Type PowerShell.
    3. Select Run as administrator next to Windows PowerShell to start an elevated PowerShell command line window.

The base command is Rename-NetAdapter -Name "Current name" -NewName "New Name that you specify". All you have to do is look up the name of the current adapter and replace "Current name with it, and specify a new name in "New Name that you specify. Here is an example: Rename-NetAdapter -Name "Private Network Home" -NewName "OLD Private Network Home"

Repeat the process for any other name that you want to change.

Now You: have you changed network profile names in the past?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to change network names on Windows 11 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 25, 2021

2. How do I change the network adapter name? (Windows 10)

Press Windows Key + R, type secpol.msc and press Enter to run it. In Local Security Policy window, go to the Network List Manager Policies in the left pane. Now in the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change. In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected. Now in the input field enter the name that you wish to use for your connection. Click Apply then OK to save the changes. And you might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.

lorraine walsh, Oct 25, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    AsRock, Oct 25, 2021
  4. How to change network names on Windows 11

Change name of Network

I am connected to my private network by USB however in the list of networks available there are at least 3 listed as "Network" including mine.

How can I change the network name to, say, the name of my device?

Daniel J White, Oct 25, 2021
Thema:

How to change network names on Windows 11

1. How to change network names on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - change network names

2. Change network name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change network name: Change network name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f3291063-71dc-458f-ac00-680975aa336f
  3. Change network name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change network name: Change network name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f3291063-71dc-458f-ac00-680975aa336f
  4. Change network name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. change network name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change network name: I couldn't change my network name,only changed in profile name by regedit.but, does not changed network and sharing centre permanently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f03651ba-256f-450f-a4ae-416fd1176ca6
  6. change network name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change network name: I couldn't change my network name,only changed in profile name by regedit.but, does not changed network and sharing centre permanently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-network-name/f03651ba-256f-450f-a4ae-416fd1176ca6
  7. change network name

8. HOW TO CHANGE MY NETWORK NAME

HOW TO CHANGE MY NETWORK NAME: MY NETWORK HAS A WEAK NAME AND PW HOW DO I CHANGE IT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-my-network-name/f2d432db-80ee-42bc-a2e9-0b811e04bb3a
  9. How to change network names on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change network names on Windows 10: When you connect to a network for the first time in Windows, Windows saves the network profile and assigns a name to it. Connections using Ethernet (wired) use a generic name such as Network 7 usually while wireless networks the SSID of the Wi-Fi network the device connected...
  10. How to change name and password of network connection?

How to change name and password of network connection?: I have just set up the "o2 HomeBox 6641". How can one change the name of the network connection: [img] [img] "WiFi" can be changed / renamed, but "o2-WLAN" cannot, I would like to rename it. How / where can I change the WPA2 key, the password for the Internet...