Windows 10: How to change one user account to get sound, while all other users and admin get it ?

Discus and support How to change one user account to get sound, while all other users and admin get it ? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro; Sound : "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" in just one user account When I log in an admin account, or other users, sound... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rlulin, Jan 28, 2021.

1. rlulin Win User

How to change one user account to get sound, while all other users and admin get it ?

Windows 10 Pro; Sound : "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" in just one user account

When I log in an admin account, or other users, sound works fine. In just one user, I get the red sound account at login No change in hardware and with the mouse over the icon, the message "No speakers or headphones are plugged in" whether there are speakers or not.

When I create a new account, the icon is OK.

In the faulty user account, settings detects the speakers or the system sound card.

The desktop is HP.

Sound diagnostic did not detect anything wrong and there was sound in the faulty user account.

:)

rlulin, Jan 28, 2021
  2. phynbarr Win User

Change User Account Admin rights

you've all been very welcoming and generous. However, your suggestions aren't solving my problem.

why can't I - as sole user of this PC - have admin rights to my own machine?

How to change one user account to get sound, while all other users and admin get it ? [​IMG]

the minute I select Administrator the option to change account type is greyed out.

Perhaps you can't in Windows 10. In that case, it is ridiculous

Thanks again

phynbarr, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User
    My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

4. Anne Fuj Win User

How to change one user account to get sound, while all other users and admin get it ?

changing the user account type

Thank you for getting back to us with the result, Cham.

Since you're unable to download the suggested method from the previous reply, let's resolve this in a different approach.

If you're able to go back to your desktop, kindly do so. Once there, follow the steps below:

• Press WinKey + Q, type user accounts and click on the result.
    • Then select your User Account > Click Manage another account.
    • In the following window, click Add a user account option.
    • Now we have to create a local account user. So after clicking Add an account, click
      Sign in without a Microsoft account (Not recommended), then click Local account. Fill the details on the screen so appeared for adding local account. Click
      Finish when done.
    • Press Windows Key + Q and type cmd, for the search results, click
      Command Prompt. Type the following command and hit Enter key:
      • shutdown /r /o
    • The previous step will result your system to boot into Safe Mode. After getting into
      Safe Mode, press Windows Key + Q, type user accounts, and pick the same from results so appear. You would have now two accounts on your system; first your issued admin account and second the local account which you’ve
      created in step 2. Select local account.
    • Now click Change the account type.
    • Moving on, change the account status from Standard to Administrator. Click
      Change Account Type.

This way, the new user account you created has been changed to an Administrator account. Restart your machine and log in to this account with Admin rights. You can now backup your documents from the old admin account.

Finally, delete the old admin account and switch to Microsoft account to synchronize your settings with a new administrative account. Your system will now act normally with full admin rights in your hand.

Let us know how things go on your end.

Best,

Anne

Anne Fuj, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

1. How to change one user account to get sound, while all other users and admin get it ? - Similar Threads - change user account

2. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  3. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Admin account user name: I am the Admin. How do I change my username that windows 10 displays? It is showing my email address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-admin-account-user-name/1dc3fef3-7784-40a2-9016-c3f65c322e61
  4. How to change Admin account user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Proxy settings by Admin user to other users get automatically reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Proxy settings by Admin user to other users get automatically reset: For EC2 Windows server creation, I have to write everything in powershell userdata script. So I have the command to set proxy:Set-ItemProperty -Path $regKey -Name ProxyServer -Value ...Set-ItemProperty -Path $regKey -Name ProxyEnable -Value ...I can see the values in registry...
  6. Proxy settings by Admin user to other users get automatically reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Proxy settings by Admin user to other users get automatically reset: For EC2 Windows server creation, I have to write everything in powershell userdata script. So I have the command to set proxy:Set-ItemProperty -Path $regKey -Name ProxyServer -Value ...Set-ItemProperty -Path $regKey -Name ProxyEnable -Value ...I can see the values in registry...
  7. Proxy settings by Admin user to other users get automatically reset

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. How to make an account admin if all the accounts are normal users

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to make an account admin if all the accounts are normal users: Hi, I accidentally made all the accounts in my pc normal users there is no administrators how can I make on of them admin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-make-an-account-admin-if-all-the-accounts/de0c26a5-9cda-45a4-93ba-3b779152de66
  9. User Account Picture Changing to Other User

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Account Picture Changing to Other User: I have three accounts on my desktop Win 10 computer. When another user logs in, the administrative account picture changes to their account picture and the administrative account desktop background changes to their background. In addition, all my laptops using the same MS...
  10. How to change admin user account name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change admin user account name?: I am installing the 'Android sdk' software, however when I try select the 'SDK' path, it says something like 'android sdk should not contain whitespace'. I am wondering how I would change my name so it has no space so I can get my issue fixed 92477