Windows 10: How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?

Discus and support How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello,In mid-October 2021, I saved some files that were supposed to be Word documents and text documents, but they saved as ppt, srt, and DOC files.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kxero, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Kxero Win User

How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?

Hello,In mid-October 2021, I saved some files that were supposed to be Word documents and text documents, but they saved as ppt, srt, and DOC files. When I open them in the only app that'll actually show me something Notepad, it looks like someone vomited from 1 km high, and it landed on a canvas art board... and I'm trying to make sense of the mess and piece it back together.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Just recently, I tried saving a 2 images from Discord, an

:)

Kxero, Dec 31, 2021

2. Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 31, 2021
  3. Change Save As File type

Trying to down load a ged.com file. When first did this it gave me options but I mistakenly chose a wrong option Adobe Acrobat in this case which would not accept that file ending. Tried again but did not give me options just went to the save as file explorer
    dialogue box with the only save file type as Adobe which I cant delete or change. How do you change this to a file typeof my choice.

PatrickMapleston, Dec 31, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

How to change default app for file type

@Bree - yes, I'm quite aware of this thanks, but as you will see it's missing. I recall reading that clicking the dialogue at a certain point in blank space made it appear, and trying that once successfully, but doesn't seem to help now. Plenty of other similar reports of this option being missing.

How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"? [​IMG]

'Fix' described here: (essentially unassociate the extension)
    Windows 10 "Always use this app" checkbox missing - Super User

dalchina, Dec 31, 2021
Thema:

1. How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"? - Similar Threads - Change Add More

2. How to change default file type for Save As option in Snipping Tool/File Explorer? Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default file type for Save As option in Snipping Tool/File Explorer? Windows 11: Hello, when using Snipping Tool in Win 11 and choosing option Save As.. to store a screenshot on my PC I am given option to choose a specific file format to Save the file as - the default option is *.jpg, but I need to save my screenshots as *.png. Right now, in order to save...
  3. How to change default file type for Save As option in Snipping Tool/File Explorer? Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change default file type for Save As option in Snipping Tool/File Explorer? Windows 11: Hello, when using Snipping Tool in Win 11 and choosing option Save As.. to store a screenshot on my PC I am given option to choose a specific file format to Save the file as - the default option is *.jpg, but I need to save my screenshots as *.png. Right now, in order to save...
  4. How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?: Hello,In mid-October 2021, I saved some files that were supposed to be Word documents and text documents, but they saved as ppt, srt, and DOC files. When I open them in the only app that'll actually show me something Notepad, it looks like someone vomited from 1 km high, and...
  5. How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Change or Add More Options to "Save as type: [File Type]"?: Hello,In mid-October 2021, I saved some files that were supposed to be Word documents and text documents, but they saved as ppt, srt, and DOC files. When I open them in the only app that'll actually show me something Notepad, it looks like someone vomited from 1 km high, and...
  6. save and save as file types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    save and save as file types: I save/download very few websites/documents. I want them to appear in File Explorer in only one place such as quick access, this pc, libraries, pictures, etc. Any EXCEPT OneDrive. Where, how can I do this using Edge or IE browser? I do not save enough to bother with...
  7. Change default "Save as type"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default "Save as type": Whenever I'm saving changes made to a picture file it defaults to saving it as a jpeg. I never save anything as a jpeg because of it's lossy nature and always tend to save picture files as a png. Is there a way to make it so whenever I'm saving ANY kind of picture file that...
  8. Add option to context menu to open file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Add option to context menu to open file type: By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI files to the context menu (right click). As it is, to open a MIDI file with MuseScore (my current preferred software), I have...
  9. change file type

in Windows 10 Support
    change file type: I was looking through a file within the file called" Windows8 OS". The file was called "Microsoft.SqlServer.Compact.400.32" and it was a "LFL" file type. In trying to open it I inadvertently changed it to a "BC" file type. Question, how do I change it back to it's...
  10. How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change "File type" (aka file type description) of files: Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the "File Type" of "Opera Web...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How do I add a file type to Save As?