Windows 10: How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10

Discus and support How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I saw this question on an old thread I'm not sure if this was already answered but ill post this anyway for ppl who still need it. you'll also need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HazelWynter, Mar 20, 2019.

1. How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10

I saw this question on an old thread

I'm not sure if this was already answered but ill post this anyway for ppl who still need it. you'll also need to know how to rename file types as well, you can go to this link to learn how to do that

https://youtu.be/10Br6exp_Ow

step 1: open up word and make a new document. You can just write whatever on it, doesn't really matter.

step 2: save the document you just made to where you can easily find it.

step 3:copy the document you just made and then rename it to a "fake" file type. i just put .mmm at mine. then move the dummy file to a separate folder, so its easier to find later

step 4: right click the file you'd wish to remove the default for, hover over open with, mark the checkbox that says always use this app and then select choose another app.

step 5: locate the dummy file you just made. you'll have to select all file types to find it. then select the dummy file and press ok. windows will say that the app cant open the file type, but you can just ignore that.

that should just about fix the problem for you

:)

HazelWynter, Mar 20, 2019
  2. CherylA Win User

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Mar 20, 2019
  3. How to remove a default file association app from a file type in Windows 10

Could Microsoft please answer the question, how do you remove a file association ?

I inadvertently associated a file with Adobe DC and now cannot remove it. Tried uninstalling Adobe and that did not work. In the file association list the file with extension .ica (the one a wrongly linked to Adobe) just has a blue box beside it, not the
    standard + showing that no association has been made. When I try to pen the file it is looking for the original path of the Adobe program. so It still cannot remove the association. Any one fixed this yet ? Maybe needs a change to the registry.

Silver surfer CS, Mar 20, 2019
  4. DonnaAmes Win User

How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10

How to remove a default file association app from a file type in Windows 10

I have searched all over and I don't think there is a way to do that, but doing what Steve suggested worked for me.

Once you delete the bogus file, when you try to open that other file, it will ask you what to open it with since the bogus file you associated the file type with is no longer there. I think that might be what some are forgetting to do: delete the bogus
    file after you associate your file type with it.

Here's what he posted.

• Right click your desktop and create a new file such as Notepad, Bitmap... quite literally anything except shortcut and folder.
    • When naming the file name it something abnormal thats not already associated (i.e named mine Test.testdog)
    • Go back to the file that accidentally associated and right click the file and choose to open with->Choose another app, ensure the checkbox is selected to always associate and scroll down to the bottom to browse for "Look for another app on
      this PC".
    • Navigate to your Desktop (or wherever you saved the file) and ensure the box at the bottom right is changed to "Show all files" you show now see the file you made, simply choose it and hit OK.
    • This will prompt and error, click out of it, you should now notice the file associate is now unassociated.

Hope this helps someone!

Zurick

Did this resolve your issue?

71 people were helped by this reply

DonnaAmes, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10

1. How to change/remove file association app from a file type Windows 10 - Similar Threads - change remove file

2. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  3. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  4. How do you change apps associated with different actions for a file type in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you change apps associated with different actions for a file type in Windows 10?: When you right click on a file in Windows Explorer, for many file types, you will see several different actions available. For example, the default action, which is usually "Open", but there may also be other actions available such as "Edit", "Edit with Photos", "Edit with...
  5. File type association

File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  6. Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations: Is there a way to block standard users from changing file type associations when asked? in GPO or what ever way 149207
  7. Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations: Is there a way to block standard users from changing file type associations when asked? in GPO or what ever way 149207
  8. Remove (not change) file extension association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove (not change) file extension association: I mistakenly associated a file extension with .pdf. I've found many instructions on how to change (swap) the file associate from one extension to the other, but how do you remove the association completely and return it to "Choose a default" ?? This user was very helpful...
  9. File type associated with App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  10. Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10

Cannot change file type associations in Windows 10: Last week (09/29/2018) I was screwing around trying to fix a driver issue I was having on my Windows 7 install, long story short I screwed something up and could no longer get the OS to load. So I figured hey if I have to reinstall Windows might as well install 10. So I wiped...