Windows 10: How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z)

Discus and support How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I have a dark desire and some OCD related spasms to make some changes on how Windows10 is arranging the drive letters in explorer.exe, i would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by playerunmet, Nov 9, 2019.

1. How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z)

Hello!

I have a dark desire and some OCD related spasms to make some changes on how Windows10 is arranging the drive letters in explorer.exe, i would really appreciate any guide, advice or joke How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z) :) on this.

Short story
    I want to change the default system partition letter from C to A or Z -> is there any way to do it (even if its risky)?

Long story
    I have 6 internal drives and 2 external drives on my computer at all time with a few partitions on each of them and some other devices, something like this:

Drive1 is an SSD-240GB
    with only one partition [C] where Windows10 is installed and other 2 hidden partitions (Recovery 500MB, and EFI 100MB)
    Drive2 is an SSD-1TB
    with two partitions on it [D] for backup and [E] for installed programs and games
    Drive3 has two paritions [F], [G]
    Drive4 has three partitions [H], , [J]
    Drive5 has three paritions [K], [L], [M]
    Drive6 has three partitons [N], [O], [P]

extDrive1 has two partitions [Q] and [R]
    extDrive2 has two partitions and [T]

I use partitions and [V] and [W] for virtual images (PowerIso), partitions [X] and [Y] for usb sticks and [Z] for an external DVD-RW

What i want to do is to change the system drive letter from [C] to [A] or [Z] - as i want the system to be at the begining of the alphabet or at the end (it`s so annoying that the system is the third letter of the alphabet that every time i open explorer i have to loudly pronounce the whole alphabet from A to Z three times just to calm down - (sometimes i use the numbers and special characters to)...

Is there any way to do it ? (as searching for this information on ggl only led me to solutions to another problem)

I know letters A and B were used for floppy disk and they were there to let you boot into earlier versions of win (98 and below) ... this days most of the MotherBoards don`t even have pins for a floppy disk (there are some usb adaptors - but then it reads the floppy as a removable drive and it assigns the next letter available), and i think Microsoft should change the drive letter for the system files - but this is another discussion for a later post.

Thank you for your patience to read this and thank you in advance for any answer!

:)

playerunmet, Nov 9, 2019
  2. Mark7805 Win User

Changing the system volume drive letter safe?

Ever since I reformated, my drive letters have changed besides C:\ and I would like to change back the other 2 drive letters.(One being the system volume letter) just so the programs I use to have still work. Is this safe? What are some negatives?

Mark7805, Nov 9, 2019
  3. nanohead Win User
    Changing the system volume drive letter safe?

It depends. Need some more information. Is your boot volume c: ? If so, then others can be changed around as needed, but there may be collateral damage. Usually, if there are pointers set in the registry, as long as you use the storage management plugin to change the drive letter assignments, most things should work.

Trouble comes in the form of applications that keep file system information (folders, path names, etc) in files that are stored in directories during installation. Those usually cannot be changed easily, unless you know that they are there and where they are....

What drive letters are you trying to change specifically, and what is the operating system

nanohead, Nov 9, 2019
  4. How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z)

Reformatting - Wrong Drive Letters?

Ok, do so googling about acronis True Image 11 and disk letters. Its the program I use to save all my info, and I know that people wee having troubles with the drive letters there. It was something about modifying the boot.ini and assigning drives. Anyway, I found this for you:

Change the System/Boot Drive Letter
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    1. Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
    2. Log on as an Administrator.
    3. Start Regedt32.exe.
    4. Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    5. Click MountedDevices.
    6. On the Security menu, click Permissions.
    7. Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
    8. Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
    9. Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    10. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
    11. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
    12. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
    13. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
    14. Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
    15. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
    16. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
    17. Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
    18. Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
    19. Restart the computer.

Cybrnook2002, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z)

1. How to change SYSTEM drive letter from C to any other letter (A or Z) - Similar Threads - change SYSTEM drive

2. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  3. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive letters changed

Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  6. Rename Drive Letter C?

Rename Drive Letter C?: I installed a new SSD drive and named it "E". Using Macrium software I cloned my "C" drive onto the new SSD "E". I also changed the boot order in the BIOS so it boots from "E." Now I want to swap letter names so my SSD drive becomes "C" and my old drive can be "E" or...
  7. System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E: My system has been unable to boot for a month or so now. Finally bought a new SSD planning to replace my OS drive. An IT friend of the family recently visited and had a look. Diagnosed that the drive letters got changed after an update, or something similar. The system was...
  8. Changing Main drive letter from C to A risks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Main drive letter from C to A risks: Hello, I’d like to change the main boot/ windows/ mostly everything drive letter from “C” to “A” mainly for aesthetic purposes. When trying to change via disk management it warns me that “Some programs that rely on drive letters might not run properly”, I’ve read online...
  9. How to change CD Drive's letter?

How to change CD Drive's letter?: I have both dvd and cd Drives shown on my computer on my laptop, i need to change the CD letter but, only DVD is shown in different programs. [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  10. System Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Drive Letter: Hi. I'd like to know is it possible to change system drive letter on windows 10 and if it is how would one do so? For instance I'd like my system drive letter to be "X" instead of "C"... so,can it be done?...