Windows 10: How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10

Discus and support How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you want to change the default character encoding in Notepad in Windows 10, […] This article How to change the default Character Encoding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 20, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10

WinClub, Dec 20, 2020
  2. mikolajek Win User

CE character encoding in Notepad

I hate Windows feature that enforces installing localized software - e.g. I live in Poland so if I set my location as "Poland" many apps will be installed with Polish interface, which I don't want to.

Therefore I've installed my OS in en-US version and left US as my location. Now it's all nice in terms of apps interface, as it's always English. Most programs cause no problems with one exception - Notepad... *Sad

Whenever I open a txt file with Polish national characters, I see "bushes" instead of them. I tried to open them as UFT-8 encoded, but it hasn't helped. I've changed Notepad default font into CE encoding - no effect.

I tend to believe the default Notepad encoding is set to westerns somewhere, but I can't figure where to look for the appropriate setting - can anyone advise me on how to change it, so txt files displayed correctly?

mikolajek, Dec 20, 2020
  3. mikolajek Win User
    CE character encoding in Notepad

I hate Windows feature that enforces installing localized software - e.g. I live in Poland so if I set my location as "Poland" many apps will be installed with Polish interface, which I don't want to.

Therefore I've installed my OS in en-US version and left US as my location. Now it's all nice in terms of apps interface, as it's always English. Most programs cause no problems with one exception - Notepad...

How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Whenever I open a txt file with Polish national characters, I see "bushes" instead of them. I tried to open them as UFT-8 encoded, but it hasn't helped. I've changed Notepad default font into CE encoding - no effect.

I tend to believe the default Notepad encoding is set to westerns somewhere, but I can't figure where to look for the appropriate setting - can anyone advise me on how to change it, so txt files displayed correctly?

mikolajek, Dec 20, 2020
  4. How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10

What is the default encoding for saving MS-Notepad files

Hi Ahmad,

When saving text files using Notepad, the default text encoding format is set to
    ANSI. On the other hand, if you open a text file on a computer that's using a different encoding, the computer displays whatever the character corresponds to. A character encoding is a system that pairs each character in a supported
    character set with some value that represents that character. Thus, selecting appropriate encoding format is considered before saving the file.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10

1. How to change the default Character Encoding in Notepad on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - change default Character

2. Default encoding Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default encoding Windows 10: Hi All,We have one question regarding the default encoding in Windows 10:Has there been a Windows 10 update which changed changed the default encoding UTF-XX to convert special characters or symbols.This encoding enables the special characters to convert properly to write to...
  3. Default encoding Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default encoding Windows 10: Hi All,We have one question regarding the default encoding in Windows 10:Has there been a Windows 10 update which changed changed the default encoding UTF-XX to convert special characters or symbols.This encoding enables the special characters to convert properly to write to...
  4. Default encoding Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Notepad bug with encoding auto-detection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad bug with encoding auto-detection: I found an interesting mis-behavior of notepad.Try creating two files.Put any kind of Japanese character in them to make one file just below 1024B and one file above 1024B can be any size. You can use the same characters in both files.For example, you can do it with the...
  6. How to change default zoom level in Windows Notepad?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change default zoom level in Windows Notepad?: I want to change the default zoom level or leave the level of last file opened because default 100% zoom level is too high for large documents. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-zoom-level-in-windows/217000ba-d91b-4e34-a7f3-ea2b904bd9b9
  7. How to change Windows Notepad default search box position?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change Windows Notepad default search box position?: Windows 10 Pro. So if you open notepad and press ctrl+f on your keyboard, a search box appears. How can I change the default position where it appears? Thanks 155846
  8. Change the default encoding for saving MS-Notepad files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the default encoding for saving MS-Notepad files: The default is always UTF-8 What should I do? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-encoding-for-saving-ms-notepad/a140e14e-5ea2-4595-a56c-c211de1712e5
  9. CE character encoding in Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CE character encoding in Notepad: I hate Windows feature that enforces installing localized software - e.g. I live in Poland so if I set my location as "Poland" many apps will be installed with Polish interface, which I don't want to. Therefore I've installed my OS in en-US version and left US as my...
  10. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad: Have you tried wordpad? Yes he did (HERE)