Windows 10: How to change the directory of a folder?

Discus and support How to change the directory of a folder? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am quite stuck right now trying to make it so that i can change the directory of one folder to another. I have researched the web about this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Heman2002, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Heman2002 Win User

How to change the directory of a folder?

Hi,

I am quite stuck right now trying to make it so that i can change the directory of one folder to another. I have researched the web about this but all of the solutions which i have received were only for changing the directory of the User Folder(Desktop, Downloads etc.) but my problem is that I want to change the directory of a folder which is one of my hard drives onto a different hard drive which is connected to my Windows computer. I have tried to go through the Registry Editor and tried find the folder but then realized that it was useless.

Here is the rough sketch of what I am wanting to achieve:

I want to change the directory of the folder D:\Something\XYZ to E:\Pics\XYZ

I have went through YouTube videos but all of them only suggest for the User folders which are easily changeable but not any allowing me to change the directory of ANY folder I want(Not any system folders).

Therefore, can someone please give me a solution on if there is an application or some method which allows the user to change the directory of a sub folder within a hard drive to another place.

Thanks In Advance,

Hemanth

:)

Heman2002, Nov 9, 2018

2. Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Nov 9, 2018
  4. How to change the directory of a folder?

Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.3

Change Log v1.3
    • Resolved an issue where resizing caused the "Directory Size Utility" to crash. - Thanks Drone!
    • New button Icons.
    • New high resolution icon for the Directory Size Utility.
    • New Delete folder button.
    • New right click menu item("Delete folder") for folder list.
    • New Export to Excel button.
    • Renamed "Get folder..." to "Add folder..."
    • Clicking "Directory Size Utility" name in the about window will take you to the home web page.
    Download here!

Spoiler: New Screen Shot Main Screen

How to change the directory of a folder? Main.jpg

Mindweaver, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

How to change the directory of a folder?

1. How to change the directory of a folder? - Similar Threads - change directory folder

2. How to change name in file directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change name in file directory: Hello, I've changed my name in my Microsoft account and computer settings, but some places such as my file paths still display my old name C:\Users\[oldname]; is there any way to change this or is this particular area not possible to change unless I reset the computer? I'm on...
  3. How to change Starting Directory in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Starting Directory in Windows Terminal: [ATTACH]Windows Terminal is a powerful and fast command-line application that supports multi-tabs released in Windows 11 and Windows 10. It lets you access and uses Command Prompt, PowerShell, and also Windows Subsystem for Linux on it. Whenever you open Windows Terminal, you...
  4. Folders/Directory creation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders/Directory creation: How can I create a folder/directory like the "fonts" folder located in "c:/Windows/Fonts" and like the "contacts" folder located in "c:/Users/Username/contacts"? Any help would be thanked....
  5. How to change the name in the user directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the name in the user directory: I tried using Regedit but then I can only access a temporary account. Command prompt doesn’t let me change user names despite running as admin. submitted by /u/showandabe [link] [comments]...
  6. How would I change the name of my user folder in the users directory?

How would I change the name of my user folder in the users directory?: I'm transmasculine, but I only found that out a few years ago and I've had this computer for longer than that so the file directory for my user is my dead name and it makes me very uncomfortable to see it but I'm unable to change the name of the folder since there's no...
  7. How to Create a Folder Directory

How to Create a Folder Directory: How can I create a list of folders, sub-folders, and files within those folders? Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-folder-directory/700f4fd1-c2fb-470a-ae0a-ea23e770efe6"
  8. how to change owner of a directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to change owner of a directory: How to change owner of a directory? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-owner-of-a-directory/172f779f-e7ea-4960-8523-3f94258b6cce"
  9. How to change the default Quick Access Directories?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the default Quick Access Directories?: When you delete the files inside %AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\automaticdestinations and %AppData%\Microsoft\windows\recent\customdestinations directories, Windows 10 automatically recreates the default Quick Access directories (Documents, Pictures, etc.) Is there a way...
  10. New folders are created in the OneDrive directory, how to change this?

in Windows 10 Support
    New folders are created in the OneDrive directory, how to change this?: Hi everyone, I've had Windows 10 final release installed on my pc for a couple of days, and it has been proving a quite good experience. I just came across something though. I was editing a cpp file in Notepad++ and wanted to save it to a newly created folder in Documents....