Windows 10: How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you

Discus and support How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; There are plenty of ways to change the display brightness of a Windows 10 PC. What if some of these are not available? I ran into the issue the other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 25, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you

There are plenty of ways to change the display brightness of a Windows 10 PC. What if some of these are not available? I ran into the issue the other day on a new system running Windows 10 20H2, an Intel 530 graphics adapter, and a LG 4K monitor.

The option to change the brightness was not displayed in the Action Center, and there was no option to add it or control the brightness using the Settings application.

Microsoft even has a support article up that supposedly tells you how to change the screen brightness in Windows 10. Problem is, it has not been updated since Windows 10 version 1903, at least that is the version mentioned in the article. Some of the instructions don't work anymore on newer versions of Windows 10.

While it was possible to use the monitor's own controls to change the brightness, it felt odd that the options were not there. I tried updating drivers to see if that would make a difference, but it did not.

Since I did not want to spend more time researching the issue, I decided to look for a free program for Windows to change the display brightness instead. Requirements were simple: it had to be free and as lean as possible; this excluded programs such as F.Lux right away.

ScreenBright

How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you screenbright-brightness-windows-10.png

Some promising programs did not work under Windows 10 anymore, but I finally found a program that fit the bill: ScreenBright is a free portable program for Windows to change the display brightness and some other parameters. It has a size of less than 400 Kilobytes when unpacked, and an easy to use interface.

The original homepage of the developer is no longer available, and the last update dates back to 2014. Despite all that, it works just fine on Windows 10 20H2. You can download the latest version from our servers with a click on the following link: ScreenBright

All it takes is to start the application and use the brightness slider that it displays to adjust the brightness. The new brightness level is applied immediately and you may hit the save button to save the new level. You can then close ScreenBright without losing the changes. ScreenBright supports changing the contrast and color luminance, and the color warmth as well. The program even supports multiple displays if these are connected to the device.

Closing Words

ScreenBright is a well designed software program for Microsoft Windows devices to change the display brightness, contrast, and color luminance. It is portable and lightweight, and does not need to be running all the time.

Now You: Have you changed color settings on your systems?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 25, 2020

2. How do I change my brightness on Windows 10?

Hi Tyler,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in answering the question.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons.

• Incorrect settings.
    • Corrupt or outdated display driver.
    I suggest you to uninstall and re-install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall display driver.

• Right-click on the Start Button and click on
      Device manager.
    • Double-click on Display Adapters to expand.
    • Right-click on the display adapter driver that is listed and select properties.
    • In the window opened, click on drivers tab.
    • In the drivers tab, Click on Uninstall option.
    Step 2: Now re-install display driver from the manufacturer website.

Get the best display on your monitor

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor

You can change the brightness of the monitor by changing the Display settings
    according to your preference on Windows 10. Please refer the help article below for steps to adjust the brightness on your desktop.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-screen-brightness

Write to us with the status of the issues experienced on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Nov 25, 2020
  3. Brightness keeps changing automatically. Adaptive brightness option is not there in the display options

My display brightness keeps changing every time i switch between different apps. I've been having this issue for a long time.

I'm using HP Omen Laptop. Windows 10.

I saw another thread with the same issue but was unable to reply in it.

I followed the steps that said the following:

*As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow the below steps to disable the adaptive or auto brightness for the selected power plan (if you already have a Power Plan created in Windows)

• Open Control Panel and click on Power Options.
    • Open your active power plan, you’ll see Change plan settings option. Click Change plan settings next to your current power plan to open Edit Plan Settings window.
    • Click Change advanced power settings option. This will open Power Options dialog.
    • Expand Display and then expand Enable adaptive brightness. Change it to Off*

But the problem i the option "Enable adaptive brightness" is not even there.

How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you 6d764773-8fc4-43e7-b5cc-304b674e78f1?upload=true.jpg

So What do i do now?

Kaushik307, Nov 25, 2020
  4. How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you

screen brightness on windows 10

Hi,

Some computers can let Windows automatically adjust screen brightness based on the current lighting conditions.

To manually adjust the screen brightness, we suggest following these troubleshooting steps:

• Click Start, then select Settings.
    • Choose System, then select Display.
    • Under Brightness and color, move the Change brightness slider to adjust the brightness.

Feel free to post back if you have other concern.

Gerard Qui, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you

1. How to change the display brightness if Windows 10 does not let you - Similar Threads - change display brightness

2. How does one change the background of a windows 10 when it will not let you select the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does one change the background of a windows 10 when it will not let you select the...: I have been trying to change the background of my desktop background, but it kept going to solid black. I did research as to why this was happening and it said that the transcoded desktop background could be corrupted, so I deleted the transcoded one because it was not...
  3. How does one change the background of a windows 10 when it will not let you select the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How does one change the background of a windows 10 when it will not let you select the...: I have been trying to change the background of my desktop background, but it kept going to solid black. I did research as to why this was happening and it said that the transcoded desktop background could be corrupted, so I deleted the transcoded one because it was not...
  4. How does one change the background of a windows 10 when it will not let you select the...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. display brightness cannot be changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    display brightness cannot be changed: I tried reinstalling my drivers but still I cannot adjust the brightness of my lap https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-brightness-cannot-be-changed/5c97f00d-7966-4c96-89be-ee037afbcd64
  6. Windows 10 not letting me change brightness

Windows 10 not letting me change brightness: I have windows 10 version 10.0.18363, I'm running bootcamp on an iMac 17,1 Retina 5k that's a few years old. This hasn't always been a problem with my system, and I haven't a clue what caused it. I found that after my computer has been running for a while, and I have to wake...
  7. Change the increments by which you can adjust the display brightness.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Change the increments by which you can adjust the display brightness.: Hello. My keyboard has Fn + keys to increase or decrease the display brightness by 10%. I wonder if there's a way to reduce that percentage, as the (10%) change can be too drastic in a dark room. I tried this, but it didn't work:...
  8. Change the increments by which you can adjust the display brightness.

in Windows 10 Support
    Change the increments by which you can adjust the display brightness.: Hello. My keyboard has Fn + keys to increase or decrease the display brightness by 10%. I wonder if there's a way to reduce that percentage, as the (10%) change can be too drastic in a dark room. I tried this, but it didn't work:...
  9. Display Brightness Automatically Changing.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display Brightness Automatically Changing.: So, Posting here because I'm unsure as to whether this is Intel Software, Hardware, Mobo, Display, OS or Driver related. I've trawled Google and tried multiple fixes but I still have this strange issue. For no rhyme or reason my display has been automatically adjusting...
  10. How Can I Change Display Brightness?

How Can I Change Display Brightness?: Starting with build 18912 and in 18917 (20H1), the slider for changing the brightness is missing from the action center. This has occurred on both the desktop and laptop PCs (Acer Aspire and Lenovo 1530 Flex). Using the manufacturers keys to change the brightness no longer...