Windows 10: How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username%

Discus and support How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username% in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; %username% is ANIL. However, I don't see "ANIL" under C:\Users. Instead I see "Documents" logical name. Physical path is C:\Users\ANIL which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Anil-Sharma, Feb 20, 2020.

1. How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username%

%username% is ANIL. However, I don't see "ANIL" under C:\Users. Instead I see "Documents" logical name. Physical path is C:\Users\ANIL which is correct.

How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username% f5eab05a-9fbd-44ac-b1ea-2a6c54ede7cf?upload=true.png

How can I remove this logical reference of "Documents" and revert to its actual name i.e., "ANIL" ?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Anil-Sharma, Feb 20, 2020

2. Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

When setting up a computer, you are initially prompted to create a username. Once this name is created, how can it be changed?

To be clear, you can change your personal account name (found under Settings>Account>Your Info), but this does not change C:\Users\USERNAME (or whatever drive your OS is on). To change this, I have tried to edit the registry (as detailed

here
    ). However, when doing this, I am unable to log into my account and have the need to setup a temporary account to recover to the old C:\Users\USERNAME state. How can I change this drive name?

Thanks for your time

UsernameChange, Feb 20, 2020
  3. Win10 User name different in C:\Users\<username> to Logon Username

I'm sure many people have had the same occur to them, and probably would advise me to just leave it as it is.

-> What you perceive as a problem could be considered an irritation but is not a problem as far as Windows is concerned. You need to be aware that every account consists of two entities:

• The account name, e.g. JBrown
    • The profile folder name, e.g. C:\Users\JBrown
    In most cases the two are the same. However, they could be totally different and it would not matter in the least.

While you can change the account name from JBrown to Everybody, the change is only superficial. It's a nickname. The underlying account name remains the same. You can press the Windows key + R and type this command to see for yourself:

cmd.exe /c net user "%UserName%" & pause

You cannot change the name of the profile folder. If you did through some sneaky means then you would cripple Windows.

Frederik Long, Feb 20, 2020
  4. How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username%

Document, Picutures, etc Folders under C:\User\{username} vs Same named folders under C:\User\[username]\One Drive

What is the difference (content) between the folders Documents, Pictures, etc. in c:\Users\[username] and same named folders under c:\Users\[username]\OneDrive? Why aren't the contents the same?

Allison and Mark Gernett, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username%

1. How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username% - Similar Threads - change logical name

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  5. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder: Hi,I recently reset my windows laptop, and after I made a local account, I think I might've accidentally made a typo. My user name Not in the lock/login screen but under the C:\Users folder was supposed to be called Splash, but instead it shows splas. I tried to rename the...
  6. How to change the user's name under C:\Users folder

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?: Hi,I would like to update the user folder name.Please Guide ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-folder-name-myname-in-cusers/32ef3ffc-16a4-4785-b7ea-b6c5deac65bc
  8. How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?

How to change User Folder Name MYNAME in C;/Users ?: Hi,I would like to update the user folder name.Please Guide ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-folder-name-myname-in-cusers/32ef3ffc-16a4-4785-b7ea-b6c5deac65bc
  9. "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>": "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>" refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and...
  10. How to change c:/users/*username*?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change c:/users/*username*?: When I first set up my PC, it set up my username as my email which was something really stupid I made when I was 12. I can't seem to find out how to change it and all the tutorials make it seem really complicated. Surely there has to be an easy way to change it, right?...