Windows 10: How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2

Discus and support How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I looked at a few posts. I tried the reg edit thing but it just made it back to the wrong order. I want to fix this because I want my main monitor in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Manithe91, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Manithe91 Win User

How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2

I looked at a few posts. I tried the reg edit thing but it just made it back to the wrong order. I want to fix this because I want my main monitor in the middle to be 1 and the other 2. Help would be appreciated!

:)

Manithe91, Apr 8, 2021

2. How does one change their monitor's "Identity Number"?

I've been have problems that seems to be tied to Monitor Identity Numbers that fully ignores the settings for which monitor is set to main monitor. I have looked up for days through "Microsoft Support" and through the community in here
    (and in other places), and came to the conclusion that the majority of the answers I find are just ignorant people of what is actually being asked.

My current monitors I have are as shown below, with their "Identity Numbers" and with the addition of stating which one is marked "Make This My Main Display":

M422i-B1 (TV screen)

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Monitor Identity Number: 1

Acer LCD Monitor P201W (Computer Screen) "Main Display"

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Monitor Identity Number: 2

In the beginning prior to set-up, their "Identity Numbers" were originally swapped as the Acer was the original "Identity Number 1" screen, but now every time plug in a second screen (or monitor), it lists Acer as "#2". Despite the Acer Monitor is
    set to be the "Main Dispaly", almost all applications are opened up on my tv screen. The only way I can seem to remedy this is by moving them to the Acer Monitor and close the app on that one, but this would require to do upon right after logging into my pc.
    I
    have seen suggestions of using 3rd party applications for "Window Settings", only to be failed by the many versus the few stating that Windows OS supersede those settings in terms of "Monitor Identity".

To state, a lot of people seem to assume that the "Monitor's Identity Number" is not important, but in terms of experience (that seems many has shared), that this is actually relevant to the system regardless of the display settings
    for what is marked as the "Main Display".
    I do hope I get a proper answer for a question that has been asked for 10 years that seems to have not been dodged and/or misunderstood.
    To add, I do not seek for the answer of going through display setting and moving the monitors around as that too is, painfully in truth, a sign of ignorance.

I do apologize for typing up a long explanation, but sometimes, one needs to be detailed about the situation to show not just the big picture, but also the small ones the create the larger problem.

RenardTheKitsune, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Florin Win User
    How to change the monitor identities?

As the title says, I want to know how can I change my monitor's identities? I want the big monitor to be the number 1, and the small one to be number 2, if I made myself clear enough. Is there a way to do this?

How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2 [​IMG]

Florin, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Edwin Win User

How to change the monitor identities?

Switch the cables, if possible.

Edwin, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

1. How to change the monitor identity numbers from 1 to 2 - Similar Threads - change monitor identity

2. Monitor 1/2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor 1/2: Why is my first monitor showing up as monitor 1/2 while me second shows up as 3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-12/da4f197f-5930-4f7b-a348-e679c7f56be6
  3. Monitor 1/2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor 1/2: Why is my first monitor showing up as monitor 1/2 while me second shows up as 3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-12/da4f197f-5930-4f7b-a348-e679c7f56be6
  4. Monitor 1/2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts...: I think the title says it all... 2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts to an unusable resolution config? So I cannot "keep" the changes because the screen is black with error message, so that I could go into display adapter...
  6. Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change Display from number 2 to number 1 on Display Settings: Hi, Since I've started using a new secondary monitor, my apps will always open in the secondary one. This is because on the Display settings it appears as the primary, even if I force my actual primary to be the primary, the secondary keeps having the role. I've tried to do...
  7. multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple monitors change 1/2 to 1 and 2: When I go to Settings and Display, my multiple monitors show "1/2" instead of 1 and 2. I think you can change this by right clicking on the clock/date on the bottom right, but I don't know which to select when I get there. Help?...
  8. How to change the monitor identities?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to change the monitor identities?: As the title says, I want to know how can I change my monitor's identities? I want the big monitor to be the number 1, and the small one to be number 2, if I made myself clear enough. Is there a way to do this? [img] 147758
  9. How to change Monitor Identities?!

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Monitor Identities?!: I've been dealing with this issue for years and nobody has ever been able to confirm an answer. I am extremely disappointed that I am unable to change the identity of my monitors. The only TEMPORARY fix occurs when I uninstall my monitors, delete their registry keys, then...
  10. Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Possible to re-assign monitor identities/numbers?: No matter what I do Windows always labels my secondary TV screen as my PC screen and vice versa. It's not really a problem in terms of functionality but it does annoy me that I can't change it. I've been through countless televisions and GPU's over the years but it always...