Windows 10: how to change the program that opens attached files. It is now opening in wordpad which is...

Discus and support how to change the program that opens attached files. It is now opening in wordpad which is... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; how to change the program that opens attached files. It is now opening in wordpad which is not legible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MichelDestimauville, Sep 7, 2018.

1. MichelDestimauville Win User

how to change the program that opens attached files. It is now opening in wordpad which is...

how to change the program that opens attached files. It is now opening in wordpad which is not legible

:)

MichelDestimauville, Sep 7, 2018
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

automatically opening a file in wordpad

Hi Jeff,

The default program used to open files depends on the file type. If you've already downloaded the document, change the default program by following these steps:

• Right-click the file.
    • Choose Open with.
    • Click Choose another app.
    • Select the program you want to use.
    • Check the box beside Always use this app to open files.
    • Click OK.

Let us know if you have any other concerns about opening files.

Yolvi Ell, Sep 7, 2018
  3. jeffvacha Win User
    automatically opening a file in wordpad

I was trying to open a syllabus for a class that was a googledoc. For some reason instead of opening I was getting a prompt to open the file with another program. I accidentally clicked wordpad when the "automatically open every time" box was checked,
    so now every time I try to open that file it goes straight to wordpad. I need to know how to undo that I checked automatically opening the file in wordpad so that I can figure out why the googledoc was not just opening the way it is supposed to.

jeffvacha, Sep 7, 2018
  4. FordGT90Concept Win User

how to change the program that opens attached files. It is now opening in wordpad which is...

Allow open file standard attachments

Borrowing this list from Wikia: svg, odt, ods, odp, odg, odc, odf, odi, odm, ogg, ogv, oga

svg = Scale Vector Graphic
    odt = Open Document Text
    ods = Open Document Spreadsheet
    odp = Open Document Presentation
    odg = Open Document Graphics
    odf = Open Document Formula
    odi = Open Document Image
    odm = Open Document Master
    ogg = Ogg Vorbis
    ogv = Ogg Vorbis Video
    oga = Ogg Vorbis Audio

FordGT90Concept, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

1. how to change the program that opens attached files. It is now opening in wordpad which is... - Similar Threads - change program opens

2. Can't change default program to open files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change default program to open files.: Hi, I'm trying to change the default program for .dwg files from Autocad to Draftsight. I already tried: right click > open with > choose another app > always use this app. The file opens in Draftsight without problems, but it still opens with Autocad the next time you...
  3. Opening .txt attachments

Opening .txt attachments: I received an attachment in my email that is a .txt and I can not open it. What do I need to do open it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/opening-txt-attachments/f20c1cda-38bf-4607-b7ec-2d179d6cf037
  4. "Uninstall or change a Program" doesn't open "Programs and Features"

"Uninstall or change a Program" doesn't open "Programs and Features": Recently, I noticed that when I click the "Uninstall or change a Program" button, "Apps and Features" in the Settings window opens rather than the "Programs and Features" window it always was. I preferred that window as it showed more programs and gave more details. Is there...
  5. How to Change "Open With" to Nothing?

How to Change "Open With" to Nothing?: Basically, I installed a skin for Steam and I accidentally kind of put it to open with notepad. It's a .style file. I was wondering how I could change it back to the default/nothing. Because now, my entire Steam skin basically looks like the default :P Anyone that helps...
  6. DDS files open with wordpad

in Windows 10 Support
    DDS files open with wordpad: So yeah I goofed hard and I opened a DDS file as a wordpad and now its saved as wordpad therefore its not working, how do i change it back to DDS? 85622
  7. Brief program(s) freeze when saving/opening/attaching files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Brief program(s) freeze when saving/opening/attaching files: Whether it be Firefox, Outlook, Photoshop, Excel, etc nearly every time I try to save/open/attach a file on local drive, that program kinda freezes for a brief period of time. I dont understand why and dont know how to troubleshoot it. 56861
  8. Opening image attachments

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening image attachments: Hi, when i open and image from an email, windows 10 opens the pictures folder and then the attachment. This is so annoying, does anyone have a solution to this. Thanks Becky 15632
  9. How to change a file's open with program to when i first downloaded it

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change a file's open with program to when i first downloaded it: Hello, i'm wondering if it is possible to change a open with option back to unknown application on some files. i accidentally clicked open with the picture opener and its stuck on it now. how can i revert this? step by step if possible. Thank you. 35879
  10. save files instead of opening ... how to change ?

in Windows 10 Support
    save files instead of opening ... how to change ?: Hello *chuckle New to this forum. Also new to windows 10 somewhat. My problem is when I go to open files from email accounts ( I have two e-mails) it will not open ..just goes to save it question .. same with downloads.. What have I screwed up? *Huh 71897