Windows 10: How to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 from IMAP to POP3?

Discus and support How to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 from IMAP to POP3? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I wanted a way to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 for all my accounts, Gmail as well as Hotmail and Outlook. Is there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by UchchayDugal, Mar 19, 2020.

1. How to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 from IMAP to POP3?

I wanted a way to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 for all my accounts, Gmail as well as Hotmail and Outlook. Is there any way I can change the protocol?

:)

UchchayDugal, Mar 19, 2020
  2. cirko Win User

Solution to Windows 10 Mail not correctly recognizing IMAP mail accounts

When setting up a new mail account in the new Windows 10 Mail app, some providers are recognized as POP3 servers automatically, regardless that they offer IMAP as well.

This is due to the fact that when the app prompts the user for an address to be associatied with the new account, it automatically checks the servers present at the address, and may stick to the POP server instead of the IMAP one.

It is impossible to manually define the server from the beginning. It is also impossible to do this offline and change the settings before the app connects to the server, as this leads to a connectivity error.

For some users, this may lead to two very unpleasant behaviors:

• The account will be handled as POP3; Mail automatically downloads ALL the messages from at least the last three months, marking them as unread. Combined with the fact that there is no possibility to select all messages to mark them read, this can be very painful. [Note: The ability to select all messages has been added since December 2015; the issue of this question has not been touched, though]
    • When you try to change the server address to the IMAP address of your provider, syncing will fail completely, even if you specify the correct ports and SSL (e.g. imap.mail.org:997:1). The errors 0x80072726 or 0x8007274d may be shown. This might be attributed to the fact that you don't have the possibility to specify the protocol anymore at this point.

cirko, Mar 19, 2020
  3. slozomby Win User
    So now there's no way to get a @live account to work with Windows Live Mail now?

you should be able to manually configure pop3/imap for it. the windows 10 mail app defaults to activesync which is what Microsoft wants for all their mail connectors.
    Outlook help & learning - Office Support

slozomby, Mar 19, 2020
  4. gpstoloff Win User

How to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 from IMAP to POP3?

Win 10 Mail

The MyDomain Knowledgebase Email page lists the IMAP or POP protocol items; while the Windows 8 Phone specific reference shows the exact steps for the Windows 10 Mail app configuration.

MyDomain isn't hosted on Outlook.com; it uses either IMAP or POP3 protocols from its own hosted servers. Because you said you had it configured for POP3, all email history is retained on the server. (IMAP offers the option of removing messages from the server when deleted from your local PC.)

So, W10 Mail use of the AppData folders is purely transient; it doesn't retain any history once the app is closed. The WinMail folder you're referencing must be present in your MyDomain email account -- which you will likely see, once the MyDomain servers recognize your account configuration and one-time download all existing messages. (IIRC, POP3 shouldn't download duplicates of ones you already have downloaded previously.)

gpstoloff, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

How to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 from IMAP to POP3?

1. How to change the protocol used by the Mail Application in Windows 10 from IMAP to POP3? - Similar Threads - change protocol used

2. Imap/Pop3 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Imap/Pop3 ?: What Is an Imap and or pop3 account even used for? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/imappop3/5355f4ce-3043-4c88-b440-6a2036f29031
  3. Imap/Pop3 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Imap/Pop3 ?: What Is an Imap and or pop3 account even used for? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/imappop3/5355f4ce-3043-4c88-b440-6a2036f29031
  4. WINDOWS not able to connect to mail servers, POP3 or Imap

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS not able to connect to mail servers, POP3 or Imap: I am facing a weird problem and need help please.After installing windows 10 on a client computer, using a fresh ISO downloaded from Microsoft, I am stuck with a problem where the system can not connect to the ISP mail server, with POP3 and Imap setups tried, during setup....
  5. WINDOWS not able to connect to mail servers, POP3 or Imap

WINDOWS not able to connect to mail servers, POP3 or Imap: I am facing a weird problem and need help please.After installing windows 10 on a client computer, using a fresh ISO downloaded from Microsoft, I am stuck with a problem where the system can not connect to the ISP mail server, with POP3 and Imap setups tried, during setup....
  6. WINDOWS not able to connect to mail servers, POP3 or Imap

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows Mail not working with Gmail using IMAP settings

Windows Mail not working with Gmail using IMAP settings: HiI have two gmail accounts set up under Windows Mail - one was set up under the "Gmail" option and works fine. The other was set up using the "Other" option and IMAP as I need to be able to use a different sender name for the second one. Until last week these were both...
  8. Windows 10 Mail App: POP3 not working

Windows 10 Mail App: POP3 not working: Hi, I'm trying to connect a work email with the Mail app. The details are right but when I test, my emails are all stuck in the outbox. I can receive emails - I just can't send them. When using Mozilla Thunderbird, everything is fine. I have a feeling this is because I am...
  9. Exporting data from windows live POP3 address to Outlook IMAP address

in Windows 10 Customization
    Exporting data from windows live POP3 address to Outlook IMAP address: Hi, I was all morning long in contact with agents from the office team. My problem : My dad (the owner of the account) configured his professional email address (ex: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***) as an POP3 on his computer with Windows mail 2012. He...
  10. Windows 10 Mail & POP3

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail & POP3: I’ve been reading this thread https://www.howtogeek.com/226010/how...in-windows-10/ but i need to be able to set it to remove mail from the server - this setting has always been an option with PO3 accounts - but in Mail Version 16005.10827.20186.0 - in Account Settings -...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. yahoo mail error code 0x8007274d