Windows 10: How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?

Discus and support How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; By right-clicking a program icon in the taskbar, right-clicking the name of the program in the pop-up, selecting "Properties" then "Change Icon" I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by coffent, Apr 1, 2020.

1. coffent Win User

How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?

By right-clicking a program icon in the taskbar, right-clicking the name of the program in the pop-up, selecting "Properties" then "Change Icon" I was able to change the icon in the taskbar as long as the program isn't running. However, as soon as I start the program the icon reverts to its original picture. How can I change the taskbar icon for a running program?

Windows 10 Home v. 1909

:)

coffent, Apr 1, 2020
  2. coffent Win User

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions:

Edwin: I think what you're suggesting is more or less what I'd done. The icon is changed to what I want in the Taskbar, but when I click the icon, launching Outlook, the icon changes back (and like other program links now includes some verbiage ("Calendar - ...").

TairikuOkami: I tried what you suggested, creating a shortcut:

Target: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE"
    This works and in the Taskbar the link retains the icon I gave it. However when it launches Outlook then a new link (with the original icon) also appears in the Taskbar so that I have two Outlook links, one with the new icon and one with the old. Since that's not what I want I'm concluding that what I want to do can't be done.

coffent, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Edwin Win User

Unpin the item from the Taskbar,
    right click the item in the Start Menu, go to 'Open file location'...,

How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program? [​IMG]

...change the icon there, then open the program and re-pin it to the Taskbar

Edwin, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

You're going to change the icon of the Start Menu shortcut, then open and pin that to the Taskbar...

Edwin, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

1. How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program? - Similar Threads - change taskbar icon

2. how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar: subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icons-and-customize-the-icons-in/6f2f0f3b-9b73-49df-9126-4ee98e445cdd
  3. how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change the icons and customize the icons in win11 taskbar: subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-icons-and-customize-the-icons-in/6f2f0f3b-9b73-49df-9126-4ee98e445cdd
  4. how to change app icons on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change app icons on taskbar: So i have changed my application icons on my desktop, how can i apply those to my icons on my taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-app-icons-on-taskbar/b04d5cfc-7080-4a2f-8e0b-d18c6ba6bf77
  5. Shortcuts on taskbar, next to program icons. How?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts on taskbar, next to program icons. How?: Hello, Fresh Windows 10 user here since a few days. Went from Vista to XP to 7 to 10. I never liked the "pinned to taskbar" way of dealing with icons. In Vista and XP I remember having a small selection of shortcuts on my taskbar, between the start button and the row with...
  6. How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?: By right-clicking a program icon in the taskbar, right-clicking the name of the program in the pop-up, selecting "Properties" then "Change Icon" I was able to change the icon in the taskbar as long as the program isn't running. However, as soon as I start the program the icon...
  7. Icon image not displayed in taskbar for a program that is running.

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon image not displayed in taskbar for a program that is running.: Hello all, Just recently I noticed that a few of my programs are not displaying the icon image in the taskbar when the program is running. All I see is a generic file image. If I pin the program to the taskbar the correct image is displayed. The desktop app is also...
  8. Change taskbar icons of pinned programs

Change taskbar icons of pinned programs: I'd like to change the icon of these icons, but I found no obvious way. [img] 15861
  9. Changing taskbar icons?

Changing taskbar icons?: hey everyone new to this forum and windows in general (i come from a mac and than linux background). I was wondering if its possible to change somehow the firefox and spotify icons to match those of the default windows task bar icons so it looks more uniform? in linux...
  10. Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar: Hi Guys, I have Firefox pinned to my taskbar, but when I run the program, it opens up another icon in the taskbar to indicate that it's running. The other browser I use does not do that. In fact, I do not remember Firefox doing that previously. It will just "underscores"...