Windows 10: How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox?

Discus and support How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Oracle's VirtualBox virtualization software is a popular choice for users who want to test new operating system versions. If you install Windows in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 11, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox?

Oracle's VirtualBox virtualization software is a popular choice for users who want to test new operating system versions. If you install Windows in VirtualBox, you may notice that you can't change the default screen resolution of 1024x768.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-screen-resolutions-locked.png

The low resolution may be sufficient for some tasks, but many may benefit from larger resolutions. The View > Virtual Screen menu of the VirtualBox application lists all available resolutions and scaling options.

The "resize to" options are all inactive, as they are grayed out and not selectable. The scaling options are unlocked and available, though.

Thankfully, it is rather easy to unlock all supported screen resolutions in VirtualBox. The following instructions explain in detail how that is done.

Fixing the Screen Size of Windows in VirtualBox

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-insert-guest-additions-cd-image.png

The fix requires the installation of Guest Additions; this may sound intimidating at first, but it is a straightforward process that completes in a matter of minutes on most systems. The description may sound as if you'd need to insert a CD image, but this is not the case.

To get started, select Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image. All that it does is mount the Guest Additions CD in VirtualBox, so that you may access its contents. You will hear a sound that indicates that the CD has been mounted.

Next, open File Explorer on the system and open the the CD drive "Virtual Guest Additions".

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-windows-additions.png

The root menu lists three guest additions for Windows. There are also additions for other operating systems, including Linux and Solaris.

The three Windows guest additions are for different architectures.

• VBoxWindowsAdditions is for 64-bit systems. Pick this one if you are not sure.
    • VboxWindowsAdditions-amd64 is for AMD systems.
    • VboxWindowsAdditions-x86 is for 32-bit systems.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-install-windows-additions.png

Right-click on one of the files and select open from the context menu to start the installation in the virtual machine. You may double-click on the file to start the installation.

Windows displays a User Account Control prompt, which you need to allow by selecting Yes.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? install-oracle-vm-virtualbox-guest-additions.png

The installer launches after you have selected Yes. Select next on the first page that is displayed.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-guest-additions-install.png

The page that follows displays the destination folder for the files that will be installed. You may change it, but most users may want to keep the default path. Select Next to proceed.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-guest-additions-installation-folder.png

The final screen displays the components that will be installed. You may disable the creation of a start menu entry, but the two remaining components will be installed. Select the install button to proceed.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-components.png

The installer displays its actions once you hit the install button.

It is necessary to reboot the virtual machine to finalize the installation. You may do so right away by selecting "reboot now", or at a later point in time. Select finish to exit the installer.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? reboot.png

All screen resolutions are unlocked after the restart. Select View > Virtual Screen X to select a different resolution. Please note that it may take a few seconds before the resolutions become available.

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? virtualbox-unlocked-resolutions.png

The physical display limits the available resolution; you can't go beyond the maximum resolution that is supported by the display.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 11, 2022

2. Changed screen size

Hi,

For us to better assist with your concern on screen size, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Did you make any changes or updates to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?
    • Have you tried changing the screen resolution of your monitor?

To change the screen resolution, you can check the steps below to change your screen resolution.

• On Desktop mode, right click and choose Display settings.
    • On the right pane, click Display.
    • On Resolution, choose the recommended screen resolution for your monitor.
    • Once your done, click on Keep changes.

For more information to get the best display of your monitor, refer to this
    article

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Jun 11, 2022
  3. PuB_Evo Win User
    Sun VirtualBox

Been there and done that. Followed through enabling the 3D acceleration and as told i hit the "Install Guest Addition" to install the drivers in the guest operating system, after that i was told to reboot the VirtualBox and came to the blue windows XP shutdown screen... It was on that screen for more then 30mins and so i force a shutdown on the original Win7 OS to et rid of the VirtualBox OS shutdown screen. Rebooted and tested VirtualBox with the game and got the same error message as shown in my first post.

EDIT: Gone through all the steps till i came to rebooting the VirtualBox OS. After the system coming up normally, i checked if the 3D acceleration is enabled by running dxdiag. Here is what i get...

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? DirectX.png

Need advise to fix 3D acceleration so i can go on. Thank you so much!

PuB_Evo, Jun 11, 2022
  4. How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox?

Change text etc size

Hi,

To help you with your concern, we suggest you adjust your screen resolution and choose your desired screen size. Steps do to that are below:

• Right-click on the Start button, and choose Control Panel.
    • Click Appearance and Personalization.
    • Select Display, then Adjust Resolution.
    • Drag the slider for Resolution to test and choose your desired screen size.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Jun 11, 2022
Thema:

How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox?

1. How to change the Windows screen size in VirtualBox? - Similar Threads - change screen size

2. How to increase Disk size in VirtualBox [Guide]

in Windows 10 News
    How to increase Disk size in VirtualBox [Guide]: [IMG]How often have we encountered a situation where the predefined disk size lacks space to accommodate more data? If you require more space on your virtual machine’s hard disk at a later stage, you will have to expand the virtual hard disk and partition. In this post, we...
  3. How to change screen size

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change screen size: Here is what my goal is.I have a sharp LCD TV. its best/recommended resolution is smaller than the max I can set it to.If I set it to the max resolution available, the content inside the screen is extending beyond the screen, so for example the start menu is actually outside...
  4. Need to change size of screen

Need to change size of screen: Words and icon do not show on monitor. It is as if monitor is too small. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-change-size-of-screen/2172ac42-4eb6-4ba6-bf5e-a0f521862985
  5. Changing the screen size

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Changing the screen size: When I enter some web sites I find that the some of the wording on the right hand side does not fit the screen. I tried to change the resolution size from the 1600 x 900 recommended to 1400 x 1050, but the message said " windows could not change this display. I tried another...
  6. Change 'virtual' screen size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change 'virtual' screen size?: [ATTACH] I have been having an annoyance for quite some time now that I have never managed to fix. I have three screens: a 24 inch 1080p screen, a 27 inch 4K screen and a 15 inch 4K laptop screen. When I am on a desk, the 24 and 27 inch are mostly used, but as these screen...
  7. How to change icon size displayed on screen ?

How to change icon size displayed on screen ?: How to change size of ICONS displayed on screen of WIN 10 Home edition ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-icon-size-displayed-on-screen/9e0b56a0-168d-4150-b5a3-e69b15624c8e
  8. how to change display size to fit screen size

how to change display size to fit screen size: My display size is smaller than the screen size for some reason. How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-display-size-to-fit-screen-size/536b3fef-37cc-46af-b46c-f36ecb2602a0
  9. windows 10 screen changing sizes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 screen changing sizes: my screen keeps changing sizes on my windows 10 laptop. how do I get it to stay a normal size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-screen-changing-sizes/3f906b8d-e46d-4e9a-878e-721828fef467
  10. How to change the size of the icon on the Start Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change the size of the icon on the Start Screen: As shown in the Picture below, How to I make the icons for the tiles on the start screen the same size as the tile itself? As you can see the Risen 3 icon is the full side of the medium square wher as the rest of the games the icon is smaller and centered. Is it also possible...