Windows 10: How to change time of automatic maintenance?

Discus and support How to change time of automatic maintenance? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Every single night, between 2:00 and 3:00am, my computer wakes itself up from sleep. The keyboard lights up, both monitor turn on, and the pc starts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ChainedHunter, May 11, 2020.

1. How to change time of automatic maintenance?

Every single night, between 2:00 and 3:00am, my computer wakes itself up from sleep. The keyboard lights up, both monitor turn on, and the pc starts making noise. It does this because it is doing automatic maintenance.

This wakes me up. Every single night.

It wakes up 2-4 times a night, between 2am and 3am. Every single night, so I am also awake every night from 2am to 3am.

I have changed the settings to a different time, and disabled it from waking up the PC, as you can see here:

https://imgur.com/a/VyyzP4M

These options do absolutely nothing. I'm at a loss here. Please help me, I am being driven insane every single night.

submitted by /u/ChainedHunter
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ChainedHunter, May 11, 2020
  2. Rong Jie Win User

Questions about Automatic Maintenance

I am not sure if there is a better name for Automatic Maintenance, I am referring to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.

How I know defragmentation is part of Automatic Maintenance:

• Open Defragmenter.
    • Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.
    • Start Maintenance.
    • Go back to defragmenter, you will see it starts running.
    Since Automatic Maintenance will try to run during idle time and defragmentation is part of it, my HDD is being (partially) defragmented everyday. Is it harmful to my HDD?

Rong Jie, May 11, 2020
  3. tracit99 Win User
    Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

I realize that Automatic Maintenance is important and these settings allow one to generally change the time Automatic Maintenance is suppose to run. In my experience Automatic Maintenance rarely runs at the time set. It is randomized and many times runs when I am using my computer to do something else.

The four tasks found in Windows 8.1 TaskScheduler (Idle Maintenance, Maintenance Configurator, Manual Maintenance, and Regular Maintenance) are no longer present in Windows 10 Technical Preview. Using your tutorial from the Eight Forums I could better control when Automatic Maintenance would actually run. I suspect in Windows 10 that a new task named Maintenance Activator now controls Automatic Maintenance. I found this task by running the command powercfg /waketimers and the response was:
    Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 5:52:14 AM on 10/20/2014.
    Reason: Windows will execute 'Maintenance Activator' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

I have looked for the Maintenance Activator task by running schtasks /query and by looking in the Task Scheduler under the Active Tasks list, and I cannot find it.

For some reason Microsoft has chosen to really hide this new task. Does anyone now how to unhide the Maintenance Activator task?

tracit99, May 11, 2020
  4. Vertex Win User

How to change time of automatic maintenance?

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10  

I've had some trouble getting Automatic Maintenance to actually wake the computer on a schedule in Windows 10. Changes to the Automatic Maintenance mechanism have made the description in the Control Panel misleading, and most search results about the issue are people trying to prevent Automatic Maintenance from waking the computer. So to that end, here is some information I've put together.

To support Automatic Maintenance, Windows 8 introduced new task settings and a new kind of task: the Automatic Maintenance Task. Unlike other tasks, these tasks do not use triggers. Instead, they define a frequency at which they should run and a frequency at which they must run. When Automatic Maintenance rolls around, the Task Scheduler uses this information to decide which of these tasks get to run during the maintenance period.

Presumably, the new Maintenance Activator task is built into the Task Scheduler and represents the set of all automatic maintenance tasks. It's scheduled to run daily at whatever time you set in the Control Panel (plus a randomized delay, up to four hours by default, and configurable in Group Policy).

In Windows 10, the Maintenance Activator task sets a wake timer only if there are one or more individual maintenance tasks that are set to wake the computer, and you checked the box to allow Automatic Maintenance to wake the computer in the Control Panel. This behavior differs from Windows 8, where the Regular Maintenance task would always wake the computer at the scheduled time if you checked the box in the Control Panel.

For reference, you can use this PowerShell pipeline to list all automatic maintenance tasks:
    Code:
    Code:
    Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings} | Out-GridView
    To list only the automatic maintenance tasks which could wake the computer, use this pipeline:
    Code:
    Code:
    Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.WakeToRun -and $_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings} | Out-GridView
    Very few automatic maintenance tasks are set to wake the computer, and most of them are disabled most of the time. That means that to have Automatic Maintenance wake the computer reliably at the scheduled time, it's necessary to change some other task to wake the computer. The Windows Defender Verification task is a suitable choice, as it's already set to run daily with a tight deadline.

Vertex, May 11, 2020
Thema:

How to change time of automatic maintenance?

1. How to change time of automatic maintenance? - Similar Threads - change automatic maintenance

2. Automatic Maintenance keeps running multiple times a day

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Maintenance keeps running multiple times a day: So its been roughly almost 2 weeks since I updated to 2004, and for some inexplicable reason the automatic maintenance has been running a simply abnormal number of times every time my laptop goes idle. It seems to differ day by day, but today alone Ive seen Disk Cleanup...
  3. Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance running at wrong time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance running at wrong time: Why does it run at 2:35 PM when set to run at 2:00 AM? The computer was on and logged in all night, every night. Yet something else to add to my list that is difficult if not impossible to control. [ATTACH]...
  4. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  5. Specify Automatic Maintenance Time to Run in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Automatic Maintenance Time to Run in Windows 10: How to: Specify Automatic Maintenance Time to Run in Windows 10 How to Specify Automatic Maintenance Time to Run in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer. This includes...
  6. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  7. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  8. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...
  9. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...
  10. Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 Maintenance activity refers to an application or process that helps maintain the health and performance of a Windows PC. Maintenance includes keeping...