Windows 10: How to change User folder name

Discus and support How to change User folder name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there. I made a stupid mistake when installing windows for the first time and i signed in with my email. Now my user folder name are the first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shiroxige, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Shiroxige Win User

How to change User folder name

Hi there. I made a stupid mistake when installing windows for the first time and i signed in with my email. Now my user folder name are the first letters of my email...Its a stupid name and due to limited characters its not even full.

So, is there a way to change the name. Warning, im not talking about account name, that you could see in netplwiz properties and change it to whatever you like, im talking about C:\Users\folder name, thats what i want to change.

quick note, one user pc, one account that of course its the administrator

windows 10 pro with 2004 update

i did find a way online involving getting original SID values and changing the registry, but i thought i should ask hear before i attempt it. could provide a source of that way if you want to validate it

:)

Shiroxige, Jul 19, 2020
  2. Ryan_2013 Win User

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, Jul 19, 2020
  3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 19, 2020
  4. How to change User folder name

How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

How to change User folder name

1. How to change User folder name - Similar Threads - change User folder

2. How to change user name folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change user name folder: I tried to change the user name folder "DIZON" to something different. I've already changed my computer name and others but I can't somehow change the user name folder on the local disk. How should I fix this?...
  3. How to change user name folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change user name folder: I tried to change the user name folder "DIZON" to something different. I've already changed my computer name and others but I can't somehow change the user name folder on the local disk. How should I fix this?...
  4. How to change the user folder name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the user folder name?: My user folder name is showing as sachi but I want it to be SachiniF. how can I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-folder-name/aa183848-8841-4a30-b22d-f185facc8cd5
  5. How to change the user folder name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the user folder name?: My user folder name is showing as sachi but I want it to be SachiniF. how can I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-folder-name/aa183848-8841-4a30-b22d-f185facc8cd5
  6. How to change the user folder name?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How to change name of user folder

How to change name of user folder: If you go to the following file path you will see your real name is named as a folderFile Path: C:\Users\NAMEHEREI checked and my real name wasnt there so I checked and its there if I typed in "my account" in the windows search...
  8. How to change User folder name?

How to change User folder name?: I've seen several ways, but all involve some drastic Registry edits. What I tried so far was creating the Administrator user, logging there and changing the name of my main account. However, when I returned back, W10 couldn't read it and said there was no dekstop. I did...
  9. How to change User Folder Name ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change User Folder Name ?: I purchased a used tablet. The seller reinstalled a clean version of Windows 10 Pro. I used a MS account to login . I renamed the Tablet from the original Tablet7 to another name. However the User Folder in C drive is still named Tablet7. ie C:\Users\Tablet7 . How do I change...
  10. How to change User Folder Name ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change User Folder Name ?: I purchased a used tablet. The seller reinstalled a clean version of Windows 10 Pro. I used a MS account to login . I renamed the tablet from the original Tablet7 to another name. However the User Folder in C drive is still named Tablet7. How do I change the folder name to my...