Windows 10: how to change user name folder name in file explorer

Discus and support how to change user name folder name in file explorer in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Initiated Windows in new computer with W11 pre-installed. would like to change user name to my initials, as the user name is first 4 letters in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ncdomerdoc, Mar 1, 2023.

1. how to change user name folder name in file explorer

Initiated Windows in new computer with W11 pre-installed. would like to change user name to my initials, as the user name is first 4 letters in my outlook mail name

:)

ncdomerdoc, Mar 1, 2023

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 1, 2023
  3. Changing file name changes the folder name AND cannot find the folder

Two odd things are happen to my files:

1. Changing only the file name in explorer changes the folder name
    2. I cannot locate the directory (possibly a library)

Here's what is happening in explorer:

I search for the text OLD, the results come up: file=IMG_3654.JPG folder path= c:\users\jose\photos old\

So I know the folder exists, but it does not appear in explorer within c:\users\jose\

Then, I change the file name in explorer to IMG_3654XXX.JPG and the folder name changes to c:\users\jose\pictures\holiday (this folder can be seen).

Is this something to do with libraries? Under libraries, the name photos old is NOT listed.

paulmarcus, Mar 1, 2023
  4. KidmanPE Win User

how to change user name folder name in file explorer

User Account folder name

Well... that accomplished absolutely nothing! F2 alone brought up my volume bar. Ctrl-F2 = nothing! Fn-F2 = nothing! And, finally, Alt-F2 = nothing! What's supposed to happen when I "click" the User [my (sorta) name] folder and press the F2 key?!

KidmanPE, Mar 1, 2023
Thema:

how to change user name folder name in file explorer

1. how to change user name folder name in file explorer - Similar Threads - change user name

2. How to change user name in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change user name in explorer: Hi,I have a PC who changed the owner, but the job role is the same. I'd like to change the owner's name in the path: "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\...".Is it possible to do so? or is it too complicated?...
  3. How to change user name in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change user name in explorer: Hi,I have a PC who changed the owner, but the job role is the same. I'd like to change the owner's name in the path: "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\...".Is it possible to do so? or is it too complicated?...
  4. How to change user name in explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. how to change user name folder name in file explorer

how to change user name folder name in file explorer: Initiated Windows in new computer with W11 pre-installed. would like to change user name to my initials, as the user name is first 4 letters in my outlook mail name...
  6. How to change user name folder

How to change user name folder: I tried to change the user name folder "DIZON" to something different. I've already changed my computer name and others but I can't somehow change the user name folder on the local disk. How should I fix this?...
  7. How to change User folder name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change User folder name: Hi there. I made a stupid mistake when installing windows for the first time and i signed in with my email. Now my user folder name are the first letters of my email...Its a stupid name and due to limited characters its not even full. So, is there a way to change the name....
  8. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  9. User's Files folder name changed to"Folders"

User's Files folder name changed to"Folders": User's files folder name(In my case its 'Dev') suddenly changed to "Folders". Whatever new account I create it still shows the home folder as "Folders". Pls help..Its really annoying.My brother used the laptop and accidently installed some malware and adware which i just...
  10. Change user name in file explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change user name in file explorer: New computer. Hastily set it up two days ago and have found that in file explorer there is a user named "Bogey" that appears to be the main user along with all of the associated files, and I have no clue how it happened that way. However, my first name, as administrator, is...