Windows 10: How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

Discus and support How to change username under C:/Users/username folder? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Advait Ashtikar, Oct 1, 2023.

1. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is 'advai' C:/Users/advai where as is must be 'Advait'. I want to change the username it 'Advait' C:/Users/Advait. Is there any way to change the same?

:)

Advait Ashtikar, Oct 1, 2023
  2. drud_803 Win User

Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

Hello all,

I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.

To remedy this I changed my username by replacing the space with an underscore. I did this in "Control Panel > User Accounts > Change Your Account Name", however this only changed my display name - it had no effect on the C:\Users\UserName folder.

How can I change this folder to reflect my new username, with no spaces?

Thanks in advance,

David

drud_803, Oct 1, 2023
  3. DaleMWebb Win User
    Change properties location of C:\users\username\ to D:\

What happens if I go into the C:\users\username\ folder properties and change the location of the folder to D:\? I have already changed the location of most (all?) the C:\users\username\ subfolders to D:\, but Win11 keeps adding subfolders back to the C:\users\username folder. I'd like, once and for all, to move all the C:\users\username subfolders to D:\. Is that possible/feasible?

Thanks in advance.

DaleMWebb, Oct 1, 2023
  4. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

Desktop Folder's Location is set to C:\Users\USERNAME instead of C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop

I was changing the location of the user folders (documents, pictures, downloads e.t.c) to my D drive instead of C because it has more space but accidentally messed up the location of the desktop folder. I then tried to change it back to how it was by setting
    its location to C:\Users\USERNAME but it didn't know the actual location should be C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop.

Now the desktop folder has somehow taken up the location of my user folder, and if I try to create another folder with my username, it just says that the desktop IS the user folder. Anything I put in the desktop folder, of course, shows up on the pc desktop.

Since this desktop folder takes the location of the user folder, it contains the AppData folder. If I try to move the folder properly to the D drive again, it gives the error message 'Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that
    can't be redirected. Access Denied.' If I try to restore default - C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop - the most obvious solution I get another error saying 'Cant redirect a parent to a child. The specified path is invalid.'

I searched for a solution and I found that going into Regedit and then Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and clicking on Desktop, you can change the location. I tried this and entered the default
    location, restarted the computer, as well as the new location I was trying to get. Both times Regedit says the location is changed but there aren't any changes in the users folder.

So now I've ended up with C:\Users containing 'defaultuser0', 'Desktop' and 'Public'. and my D drive containing all the user folders (documents, pictures, downloads e.t.c). I don't really know if it will cause any problems, but I don't think having the USERNAME
    folder and the Desktop folder merged together is very good...

Ahnaf Tahmid, Oct 1, 2023
Thema:

How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

1. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder? - Similar Threads - change username under

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  4. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  5. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Username in the Users Folder

Username in the Users Folder: Hi,I recently deleted my account from my laptop and logged in again using the Family section in Family and Other Users page in settings I removed it by running the netplwiz command. Now when I login, there is a new folder and it is not the same username as before the previous...
  7. How to change c:/users/*username*?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change c:/users/*username*?: When I first set up my PC, it set up my username as my email which was something really stupid I made when I was 12. I can't seem to find out how to change it and all the tutorials make it seem really complicated. Surely there has to be an easy way to change it, right?...
  8. How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username%

How to change the "logical" name of personal folder C:\Users\%username%: %username% is ANIL. However, I don't see "ANIL" under C:\Users. Instead I see "Documents" logical name. Physical path is C:\Users\ANIL which is correct. [ATTACH] How can I remove this logical reference of "Documents" and revert to its actual name i.e., "ANIL" ? Thanks...
  9. Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct

Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct: Hi, I recently installed windows 10 and signed in directly with my microsoft credentials instead of first creating a local user. I've just noticed that the username under the C:\Users\ directory only picks up the first five characters of my name. It seems that there is...
  10. Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing C:\Users\USERNAME: When setting up a computer, you are initially prompted to create a username. Once this name is created, how can it be changed? To be clear, you can change your personal account name (found under Settings>Account>Your Info), but this does not change C:\Users\USERNAME (or...