Windows 10: How to change Windows Account Name and User Profile Directory

Discus and support How to change Windows Account Name and User Profile Directory in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have tried going through the Control Panel via User Accounts and never get an option to Rename the account. I have also tried 'compmgmt.msc' and also... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HalRose, Jul 18, 2020.

1. HalRose Win User

How to change Windows Account Name and User Profile Directory

I have tried going through the Control Panel via User Accounts and never get an option to Rename the account. I have also tried 'compmgmt.msc' and also no option to rename. 'secpol.msc' returns a 'not found'. Anything I'm missing? Trying to change 'hjros' to 'hjrose'.

Current Windows version:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Dell Inspiron 7559 64-bit

:)

HalRose, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Martmcd Win User

How to change the name of the user

You cant reply to the automated email, it is just notifying you that a thread has a response.

going back to your original post.

when you create a new user, windows creates folders under the c:\Users directory with the account name (ie Geoff) if you rename the user, although the new name is shown on login etc the directory names don't change.

the easiest way to get rid of Geoff is to -

• change the username to something else (or back to Geoff)
    • create a new user with your name
    • copy all your documents, photos, videos etc. from Geoff to your new user
    • delete the Geoff user account and remove folders etc.
    this can all be done in user accounts as suggested by Ruth

Martmcd, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Query about changing the User Accounts name

Hi Jerry,

Perform the steps mentioned below to change the user account name.

• Sign in to the Your info page on the Microsoft account website.

• Under your name, select Edit name.
      If there’s no name listed yet, select Add name.
    • Edit or add the name you want, then choose Save.
      Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.

Please revert if you still cannot change the user account name.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jul 18, 2020
  4. User_456 Win User

How to change My User directory Name?

Hello,

I have my user directory with half my email address. I want to change the user name and directory name to whatever I want

How to do that? I have seen some guides advising to create new user account in this PC, but I cant create new account with the same email address.

I rather user directory be same as the name of the PC

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate)

User_456, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

1. How to change Windows Account Name and User Profile Directory - Similar Threads - change Account Name

2. User profile name changed on me

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User profile name changed on me: I noticed that I no longer have a User folder that matches my name in the c:\users directory. For some reason it is labeled as "Pictures" instead. However, if I navigate to the Users folder in Command Prompt it shows the folder name as "Nick". I am thinking that I may have...
  3. User profile name changed on me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User profile name changed on me: I noticed that I no longer have a User folder that matches my name in the c:\users directory. For some reason it is labeled as "Pictures" instead. However, if I navigate to the Users folder in Command Prompt it shows the folder name as "Nick". I am thinking that I may have...
  4. User profile name changed on me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change My profile name in C:/Users ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change My profile name in C:/Users ?: Hi I'd like to know how to change my name in c:/Users, since it's missing letters and doesn't match my account's. Notes: My account is not local. Windows 10 version: Home Single...
  6. How to change the name in the user directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the name in the user directory: I tried using Regedit but then I can only access a temporary account. Command prompt doesn’t let me change user names despite running as admin. submitted by /u/showandabe [link] [comments]...
  7. User name profile change but user account was deleted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User name profile change but user account was deleted: I was trying to change the name of my account by regedit.exe, I did it but I used command promt to run it, but now my user account disappeared and all my data as well, I can't find anything...
  8. changing user profile name account in win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    changing user profile name account in win10: any easy way to change user profile name under C/users/name i can change name which shows once booting to windows but C/users/name stays the same... thank you...
  9. How to change Account Name and User Name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change Account Name and User Name?: I am the sole user of my pc. Under Settings/Accounts my name is:- John Smith my email address Administrator Q1 How do I change this to just:- Pete Administator? Under This PC I have drives C, F and G In C the user is called John In F user called Pete In G...
  10. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824